For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much does height have to do with the whole body building concept?

The majority of what I would call 'big' guys seem to be quite short (5'10 and under), it's much more rare that I see big guys over 6'. Why is this?

Obviously this is just a generalisation, there are obviously taller guys who are big as well (I think Freefaller and Ultra Extreme are both around 6'2").

I can think of a couple of reasons which may or may not be true:
-Shorter limbs makes it easier to lift heavier weights
-Shorter height generally means lower body weight meaning less calories required to add weight
-The whole Napoleon complex resulting in more short people training

Please don't take this question too seriously, I was just wondering, I don't mean to cause any offence to short or tall people!

set a new target.

did you actually reach your last one?

I didnt reach my goal no, i was aiming for a waking up weight of around 14 stone, i got to 13.5...just b4 christmas and i have slowly been coming down....

I guess i will just plod along and hope i come out of the slump i seem to have fallen into

OS

How much does height have to do with the whole body building concept?

The majority of what I would call 'big' guys seem to be quite short (5'10 and under), it's much more rare that I see big guys over 6'. Why is this?

Obviously this is just a generalisation, there are obviously taller guys who are big as well (I think Freefaller and Ultra Extreme are both around 6'2").

I can think of a couple of reasons which may or may not be true:
-Shorter limbs makes it easier to lift heavier weights
-Shorter height generally means lower body weight meaning less calories required to add weight
-The whole Napoleon complex resulting in more short people training

Please don't take this question too seriously, I was just wondering, I don't mean to cause any offence to short or tall people!

I think what you say does hold a lot of weight (no pun intended), however some of it is down to genetics. U_E is a tall bugger I think he's over 6'2", I'm just shy of 6'1".

Look at the world's strongest men, they are on average all over 6' and huge mofos.

Yea I'm 6'2" myself and I'm finding my progress quite slow, jealous of my brother as he's only 5'9" and has stormed ahead of me! Can't blame that on genetics though so I'll have to just work harder!

Speaking of WSM, anyone else here think freefaller is a bit of a Jimmy Marku lookalike?! :D:eek: (Don't hurt me!)

Yea I'm 6'2" myself and I'm finding my progress quite slow, jealous of my brother as he's only 5'9" and has stormed ahead of me! Can't blame that on genetics though so I'll have to just work harder!

Speaking of WSM, anyone else here think freefaller is a bit of a Jimmy Marku lookalike?! :D:eek: (Don't hurt me!)

Hehe - I take it as a compliment! :D Now I just need to put on nearly another 6 stone and I'll be as big as him! :D (I'm getting there though... slowly! :D :p Well I've put on 5lbs over the past 2 months which is pretty good going).

Thursday:

Didn't sleep much last night so wasn't really in the mood but got down there anyway in the fog!

Single arm bent over rows - because of the light weights I did very slow eccentric movements and a big burn out at the last set:

8x40kg
8x40kg
8x40kg
8x40kg
12x40kg

(each arm)

Close grip pull down:

10x100kg
10x100kg
10x100kg
9x100kg
8x100kg

Flat BB Bench:

12x60kg
10x80kg
8x100kg
7x110kg
5x120kg
3x130kg
1x140kg
1x140kg (spotted)
0x140kg
DS:7x100kg

Incline:

10x40kg
10x60kg
8x70kg
8x80kg
4x90kg (shoulder started hurting - old injury so didn't push it)

Wanted to do more so I thought why not do Front Squats!

12x60kg
8x70kg
7x90kg
6x100kg
5x110kg
4x110kg
DS: 10x80kg

NOW I was tired. Annoyed about incline - this bloody shoulder of mine, I didn't hurt it, but I could feel it twinging so I didn't push it. I don't think it'll ever be right and as such I doubt I'll ever be able to do big incline unfortunately :(

Ah well pretty pleased with the session anyway - the DS on front squats nearly had me puking though - yes the weights weren't very big, but the recovery times were short and I was actually more tired than I realised! Lol!

nice benching FF making me eager to try 140 but i dont think im there yet. No video for the other thread though? Dissapointing :(

On the incline bench front cant you try a steeper angle, helps me when my shoulder gives me jip on the IBP.

It's at 45deg which is the angle it should be, steeper and it would just be a shoulder movement more than chest really.

Nah didn't think of taking a vid :o Should have done - at least for my 3x130 - I only did 3 I could have squeezed out a 4th but wanted to save myself. The 140s were slightly spotted, just with hands touching the bar but it gives you that psychological boost. The 3rd attempt I was just burned out. Next time I'll try less warm up reps and just go for the big pushes. Bear in mind I did incline/decline DBs on Monday so it might have been a bit premature to have done bench today! :D

It's at 45deg which is the angle it should be, steeper and it would just be a shoulder movement more than chest really.

Nah didn't think of taking a vid :o Should have done - at least for my 3x130 - I only did 3 I could have squeezed out a 4th but wanted to save myself. The 140s were slightly spotted, just with hands touching the bar but it gives you that psychological boost. The 3rd attempt I was just burned out. Next time I'll try less warm up reps and just go for the big pushes. Bear in mind I did incline/decline DBs on Monday so it might have been a bit premature to have done bench today! :D

For perspective when i hit the bench ill do something like this

10x100
6x110
4x120
1xmax (130)
box90

Something like that, lower volume heavy weight. If i lifted the volume you do id crap out just over 100 id expect

I'm a volume whore. :D :D :D

However I need to work on a bit of strength work to break that 140 for reps barrier. I know I can do 130 for 5, the first 2 went up really easily, and 100 is very much a warm up set for me really. I'm just mixing it up a bit really. Just peeved at not being able to do inclines. :(

Great thread guys, some of the weights you are lifting leave me :eek:

I'm in process of working out my diet and workout (will post later ;) ) but I'm finding it hard to get hold of information about some food, after rummaging around in the cupboard for an hour I managed to get hold of most, but still missing some.

Do you know any websites where I could find an estimate of much protein is in 300g of chicken or how many carbs are in bananas etc?

Apologies if this has been mentioned, but it is quite a large thread :p

Supplementing with whey, casein or any other type of protein is no different from eating a chicken breast, except you dont get the thermogenic effects

"If you were to consume 300 Calories in pure protein (such as by a pure protein powder, or eggwhites, or something similar), the Thermogenic Effect would burn off 81 of those calories just during the act of digestion, leaving you with 219 calories."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/371448/understanding_the_thermogenic_effects.html?cat=5

I was just looking up what this meant, and I doubt the guy who was asking for advice had any clue what it was either, but it seems that (to put it bluntly) you don't know what it means either. That link contradicts the only "fact" you stated about it.

I'm not looking to be a stirrer but every time I see this tab open I think "now thats just not right"!

im a huge proponent of protein powder id say 70% of my protein comes from it, and i dont think im doing too bad? IMO protein is protein, sure its good to get variation (i go through periods without powder and just scoff meat and cheese etc) but i think if what works for you are shakes then use shakes! I firmly believe in keeping things simple, the more complex a system the more likely it is to fail!

No idea if this is even a relevant opinion lol just wanted to voice it :D

lol I'd imagine that's 90mins of "LIGHT WEIGHT!!! YEAH BABEH!!" and "Reps, lots of reps."
Pretty much yeah, lots of head shakes and eating oh and can't forget "ain't nothing but peanut" Ronnie = god (in desguise ofcourse), also it's funny watching him when he's doing his police work and he's sat in the breifing room and struggles to get his legs under the desk. Must watch really youtube - Ronnie Coleman "the cost of redemption"

Harris! Haven't seen you on here much buddy! Still doing the Gym work presumably then, the misses hasn't dragged you away yet then? ;)

Nooo delves i've been working in IT for the uni in Buckingham for 8months!

im a huge proponent of protein powder id say 70% of my protein comes from it, and i dont think im doing too bad? IMO protein is protein, sure its good to get variation (i go through periods without powder and just scoff meat and cheese etc) but i think if what works for you are shakes then use shakes! I firmly believe in keeping things simple, the more complex a system the more likely it is to fail!

No idea if this is even a relevant opinion lol just wanted to voice it :D

When I get lazy all mine comes from milk and protein powder :D:o

Managed 150kg for 6 reps last night on teh deadlift :D I think I could get another couple of reps if I strained but wasn't meant to go over 4 reps anyway so I left it at 6 :o

180kg here I come! :cool: I'm confident I could easily whip out 170kg+ in a few days If I tried.. When I hit 180kg I'll get a video :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom