Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Soldato
Good luck fella.

Had my first rejection today. Felt like everything had gone well and it was definitely the role/company which was my favourite from the ones i've gone for so it's disappointing. Made worse by the fact the feedback was that it was very close but they felt the other person had more experience working on their own.
One of my main roles was working on my own but i tend to find i undersell myself and use we/the team instead of i/me and ultimately that's probably let me down.

Soldato
Back in September I managed to secure my first gig as a contractor. Ever since then I've been doing some work on the side (weekends and evenings) while working full time. Anyway a month or so later I handed in my notice.

I am now a few weeks away from saying goodbye to the permanent world. And hello to the life of a bowss!

Since handing in my notice I've updated my profile on all of the major job sites. And by phone has been blowing up (not Samsung literally). I receive calls pretty much every day. To discuss contracting gigs.

Every now and then I receive a call about perm roles. A few weeks back I was informed of a perm role offering around 15% more than my currently salary. The role itself looks rather interesting... Interesting enough to consider taking on one more perm role.... I explained to the agent that they would need to offer 25% more. Before I would seriously consider.

Fast forward a week or so and I have another three agents (from separate companies) wanting to put me forward for the same role. And like a donut I agreed. I had Completely forgotten that I was already being rep'd for the role. Anyway I've since manged to clear up the confusion with the other pimps... Sorry I mean agents.

I received a call to say the client might be prepared to match my demands. So I'm thinking do one more permanent stint. Whilst contracting on the side for one last time!

On the contracting front. There is a potential project over in Leeds which I have been put forward for. I just admit it doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm... It is a public sector client and the daily rate isn't particularly high.

Last edited:
Associate
Well you never can tell with interviews last week I had what I would class as one of my worst interviews ever I mumbled and stumbled over basic stuff and today got an invite to meet a MD for a second round.

Always good to get a positive result from an interview after a few first round rejections

Soldato
Congrats

I'm a bit dissappointed, i went for an interview and the hiring manager really wants to bring me in but due to a few internal problems which have popped up he's not in a position to do so. He said he'll probably be in touch in 3-6 months when the current structure doesn't work.

On the plus side i've just been asked to go for an interview for a 6 month interim role which could end up with everything fitting in. A bit of upside after 2 dissappointments yesterday.

Associate
Had a couple of meetings with recruitment consultants today and they were both constructive in a way. First one they were pretty good in providing a critique of my cv (which I just threw together to get it out there so i know it needs work) but they were trying to push me towards staying in small business and roles that are pretty much the same as where I am now. Second place was really enthusiastic in terms of me moving away from the small business environment and recognised the areas I am interested in/enjoy and said there was plenty available in my salary range and they are getting back to me this weekend with some job specs but the couple we talked about today were really the kind of stuff I am looking for. Good end to the week.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Similar situation to Eliot.

Took voluntary redundancy in October, it'll be a good opportunity for something new after a very long time in my last role I thought..

Keep getting pipped at the post. Last one I had 4 interviews over 2 weeks, including a 2 hour test. Really happy all the way though, tonnes of positive feedback, very pleased with the test score.. lost out on one area to another candidate.

It's soul destroying.

Yep, especially when you invest so much time in to the application and it goes so well to then be rejected takes a while to get over.

I applied for my perfect role; two year training scheme with large international company.

- phone interview - went amazing
- one to one interview - went well
- presentation and informal interview - went excellent; they said it was the best presentation they've had.
- I was narrowed down to the final two candidates.

Didn't get it; the other chap had more experience and a formal qualification in IT which I didn't. They said the qualification was important as it showed that person knew what they were getting in to and they said they had a concern as it was a new field for me that I may think midway through that it's not for me and leave :(

They were very friendly and genuine and gave me lots of feedback. But it took a while to get over it I thought I had it. I think it was a last minute change of heart by either the interviewers or someone higher up as during my final interview the guy was showing me around the coffee shop, where to get lunch, the best local places, parking etc - bit odd to give me all that kind of information when he knew I wasn't going to get it?

Soldato
So I have a possible interview coming up soon. It's another perm role. Not what I want but the role seems as though it could have me doing a lot. So this could be the last perm role I take on.

The good thing is that I should still be able to do my contracting work on the side.

Anyway back to this perm role. I have basically said that I'm not prepared to talk unless they're prepared to give me around 5k more than advertised. Today the agent gives me a call... In short the client wants to know my salary history.

Like a fool I decide to give her the information (whether she'll pass this on in full. I don't know). Anyway I said we could negotiate.

I'm no desperate for the role. So they had better not expect me to beg and plead to work for them. If after the interview I get the impression they still like me. I'll be aiming for all I can get.

Associate
So I got offered the graduate role I was saying would be the most ideal and my first preference. Can't quite believe it. It will be as a trainee CA within one of the big UK banks and based right here in Edinburgh.

Soldato
So I got offered the graduate role I was saying would be the most ideal and my first preference. Can't quite believe it. It will be as a trainee CA within one of the big UK banks and based right here in Edinburgh.

Nice. Well done! I'd love to live and work in Edinburgh

Associate
So had other things on recently and not been concentrating on my job search but had a call from an agency today saying they had sent my CV in for a role they thought was perfect for what I was looking for and the company were really interested in meeting me so going for an initial meet/interview on Thursday, Have very little to go on for a job description other than they are looking for a management accountant with SQL knowledge so will be as much about me finding out stuff as them I guess. Online business undergoing rapid expansion and within walking distance so the company sounds appealing but we will see about the role.

Not had a proper interview in yonks so plenty of reseach & prep to do.

Soldato
Had a telephone interview yesterday with a client based in Wales.... No I live in London. If offered the gig / contract I have no idea what I'll do lol.

In other news I've been invited back for a second interview with a firm in the city. The issue I have with this position is that it is a perm role. I'd need to think long and hard before accepting or declining any offer. As my original plan was to stick with fixed term / contracting roles. We'll see.

Oh and I'm also having my CV thrown around in the Cayman Islands :| . Had an agent contact me last week. Had a pretty lengthy convo. He seems to think my skillset and exp would be useful out there!

Associate
Got a second interview for one I went for this week, down to 2 people, but still undecided whether I want the job. Got some questions to ask at the second interview that will go a long way to making my mind up. Would be a pay cut from what I am on now, significant if you factor in my car/fuel but net pay would be 200-250 more a month with no bik and I could walk to work so it's not as bad as it seems and it's a growing company rather than a dying industry where I am now.

Still, nice to get through to the second interview given it was my first in 10 years.

Soldato
I'm scouring Linkedin and using Google - guessing these are the best options for initial searches? As well as looking on the sites of companies that I like the look of.

I'm going to try to avoid recruiters for the time being although I have bookmarked a couple which look like they might be worth throwing the CV at.

Man of Honour
Because my expertise is rather niche it is both an advantage and disadvantage. Advantage is that it offers exciting and good roles and usually decently paid, disadvantage is that roles are hard to come by, and ever so competitive to get.

The key I have found is to network. Network like it's going out of fashion. As much as I'd rather go home or go to the gym or be anywhere but at a conference building up and keeping your network alive is key. Try and get yourself invited to any and all events and just make yourself known and get a feel for the market and what you're interested in.

This is what helped me get my new job.

Back
Top Bottom