Forza Horizon 3 just shown at E3

Associate
Think I've driven my P1 once and didn't like it, was very grippy but became a real a handful if you lost traction.

I'm liking my MC12 at the moment, modded it to AWD but changed the balance so it's something like 92% to the rear. Stuck all the aero up to cornering grip and it feels pretty nice. Not as good handling as the Vulcan, but much more power to play with.

Permabanned
Good in terms of gameplay for sure. Good in terms of PC port, I'd be surprised.

Its a good port by all accounts as is Gears of war. MS seem to be pulling their finger out in regards to PC gaming and Gears isnt just well optimised for a port, its one of the best optimised games Ive played in some time.

Played a bit of Forza and it runs and looks fantastic on a 1080 @3440x1440

Associate
Its a good port by all accounts as is Gears of war. MS seem to be pulling their finger out in regards to PC gaming and Gears isnt just well optimised for a port, its one of the best optimised games Ive played in some time.

Played a bit of Forza and it runs and looks fantastic on a 1080 @3440x1440

By all accounts? Many, many accounts of PC users having stutters and crashes. I had a couple of crashes, but it was the stuttering and sporadic frame rates that led me to my view and opinion. Why mention GoW, we're talking about Forza...

Soldato
By all accounts? Many, many accounts of PC users having stutters and crashes. I had a couple of crashes, but it was the stuttering and sporadic frame rates that led me to my view and opinion. Why mention GoW, we're talking about Forza...

Same. Gears is an excellent port but this isn't. Too many issues across the board.

Permabanned

Chill out man theres no need to be so defensive. :)

Why mention Gears? Its a first party MS port...as is Forza. Its cross play title...as is Forza. Its a Windows 10 title...as is Forza.

"By all accounts" in this case is that of myself and two friends who both have very similar hardware and we are all getting pretty good performance out of this game. The occasional 1 second stutter aside it seems to run OK and looks fantastic

Associate

Why mention Gears? Its a first party MS port...as is Forza. Its cross play title...as is Forza. Its a Windows 10 title...as is Forza.

"By all accounts" in this case is that of myself and two friends who both have very similar hardware and we are all getting pretty good performance out of this game. The occasional 1 second stutter aside it seems to run OK and looks fantastic

Nah, not being defensive. Just saying it as it is - a bad port (in my opinion). It has improved a bit via patches, but it still isn't what I'd expect from a racing title in terms of performance, albeit open world. I was originally just trying to give you a heads up that there have been numerous optimisation and bad port views expressed, but with everyone saying how good the game is in terms of gameplay. And to that end whilst you may be happy, even you have mentioned 1 second stutters already. To some that's an annoyance to me its enough of an irritation to mar my enjoyment. I expect more. Simple as. :)

Soldato

What'a so defensive about expressing an opinion? He didn't rage or anything. So saying "by all acounts" you mean "by three acounts" ;p when there are dozens of people in this very thread who claim to have various problems with the game, even Digital Foundry acknowledges the performance issues. It's quite a widespread thing.
"It runs ok on my machine" would be a better way to put it;p Fun game but hardly an impeccable port.

Permabanned
Nah, not being defensive. Just saying it as it is - a bad port (in my opinion). It has improved a bit via patches, but it still isn't what I'd expect from a racing title in terms of performance, albeit open world. I was originally just trying to give you a heads up that there have been numerous optimisation and bad port views expressed, but with everyone saying how good the game is in terms of gameplay. And to that end whilst you may be happy, even you have mentioned 1 second stutters already. To some that's an annoyance to me its enough of an irritation to mar my enjoyment. I expect more. Simple as. :)

Dont get me wrong dude, i HATE stuttering of any kind just a single hitch now and again has not been too noticeable...so far. Have not really fine tuned it or tried the dynamic adjust trickery they have so that might sort it? Interested to see what people think of the dynamic option they have?

Also ,it runs borderless windowed so I'm unsure if Gsync is working. Been busy so I'm going to givw it a good go in a bit and see whats what with it

Associate
I tried pretty much everything bar the two you mention. Would be good to know if the border less window or dynamic option improves things. I did get it running fairly well, but that was with many settings turned down to medium and shadows off. Other stuff I did have on high/ultra. I also found turning off shader cache in NVCP helped too. GTX980 SLI btw with 16GB RAM etc.

After finally getting it running mediocre i.e as constant as I could it then crashed. I got another refund. Will return if and when it gets fixed, but I'll need to be convinced as I've burnt my get out of jail free card with MS customer service.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
What is all this bad port rubbish?

It's a big deal that this series and other XBox only titles come to the PC. It's their first go at it. They're used to a single platform and are trying to deliver a fully featured game in the best possible quality that runs on as many modern platforms as possible. There will be teething problems and it won't be perfect but it's entirely playable and enjoyable.

It's a shame some are having game breaking issues but I'm sure they'll get on top of them. Game devs get such a hard time. They're seemingly putting the effort in and are passionate about their games. 6 Forzas and 3 Horizons. Most games go unfixed and over sold. I'm sure they've had a learning curve and these places still have budgets to stick to.

I hope they sort it out and we see more Forzas on PC in the future.

Permabanned
I tried pretty much everything bar the two you mention. Would be good to know if the border less window or dynamic option improves things. I did get it running fairly well, but that was with many settings turned down to medium and shadows off. Other stuff I did have on high/ultra. I also found turning off shader cache in NVCP helped too. GTX980 SLI btw with 16GB RAM etc.

After finally getting it running mediocre i.e as constant as I could it then crashed. I got another refund. Will return if and when it gets fixed, but I'll need to be convinced as I've burnt my get out of jail free card with MS customer service.

Its a VERY demanding game to be fair. Not saying this is your problem but a lot of people think games are unoptimised when they are just trying to run it higher than their system can handle. Sli could be your problem as a single 980ti wont max it by itself and SLI support is...well, SLI support. Ive had to turn some stuff down on a single 1080 @3440x1440 as its really demanding. you can tell just by looking at it though as its a truly gorgeous game

Soldato
Its a VERY demanding game to be fair. Not saying this is your problem but a lot of people think games are unoptimised when they are just trying to run it higher than their system can handle. Sli could be your problem as a single 980ti wont max it by itself and SLI support is...well, SLI support. Ive had to turn some stuff down on a single 1080 @3440x1440 as its really demanding. you can tell just by looking at it though as its a truly gorgeous game

I wouldn't say it's all that demanding, many people drop to settings their rigs should easily run but they still have problems. There are clear problems with coding. I'm on a 1070/4790k and I can't always sustain 60fps even after dropping some settings and there's some annoying hitching, especially in the city.There's practically no difference fps-wise between msaax2 and x8 or 4k DSR, which points to some problems with the engine.

Also, I don't think the graphics are anything groundbreaking. All I see here is great looking cars and skies, the rest is pretty plain. The water, shadows and some vegetation are pretty bad. The map isn't that big (a bit of an understatement, after driving around it for a while I think it's pretty small) and doesn't feature any complex physics or a lot of objects. Most of the looks come from lighting/filtering.

GTA V pulls of a very good looking city, better water and vegetation, better physics and a lot more objects on screen with a higher framerate and is based on a pretty old engine.

I really think this game should be no problem for fairly modern hardware.

Last edited:
Associate
What is all this bad port rubbish?

Publishers should not release products until they are ready. Condoning it only encourages it more. As a consumer I don't care about poor game developers and hearing violins for publishers. All I care about is, have a got a product I am happy with after paying £50.

Associate

I know its a very demanding game, and I would argue because its so poorly optimised. You should note that there are many with 1080's running it locked at 30fps because its clearly not been ported with 60fps as a focus. Lets not forget there are some stability issues going on here too.

I think its quite simple. People have different expectations. Mine are clearly higher than yours. And that's fine. However, what is good is if the developers continue to hear the likes of my voice and improve optimisation for all. Then everyone benefits. Even those who are happy with it as is.

Back
Top Bottom