Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

Yeah, this.

I find it distracting that when you finish a race at 60fps and go to the replay and summary screen, the frame rate drops (and i don't mean slow-down). I'd rather have the whole thing at a constant.

As long as it is consistent while your playing surely that's the most important factor, not sure how you can find the frame-rate distracting when your not actually playing the game.

Caporegime
I'm actually contemplating NFS Shift (even after I vowed to never buy another NFS game after Pro Street), because it looks gorgeous and sense of speed is immense.

Soldato
wow, I hated fm2, really thought it was just plain dull

I've just spent an hour with all assists off (had to keep manual and used a joypad)

What a game, blooming brilliant, had a right laugh with the mini and the audi

Turn the AI off and just race against the clock

Will pick this up around release

Was quite happy with a 1.17 ish with the Mini IIRC

Yeah always all assists off for me. the game just comes alive like that.

Soldato
I'm actually contemplating NFS Shift (even after I vowed to never buy another NFS game after Pro Street), because it looks gorgeous and sense of speed is immense.

Thats because it isn't a sim. Unfortunately in FM3, if you're going 60mph, it will look like you're going 60mph.

I was one of the people who started a thread over at the official forums about the LOD in the cars compared to the pics that were posted.

Most said they couldn't see a difference and a lot were saying its just because its a demo,but a few backed me up on it. It looks fine from a distance but if you flick through a few of the different cams in the replay, the car models are a lot poorer than the pics we have seen.

I don't believe that the car models are 10x that of FM2.

It doesn't bother me though, i still think its a fantastic demo.

Associate
I played this game all day yesterday with the gamepad and loved it. So today I decided to get the MS wheel and wow it makes the game so different! It really makes the game very realistic!

I really can't wait until this is released now.

Soldato
Absolutely superb IMO.

Definite day 1 purchase from me! If the scene on here is anything like it was when FM2 was out then that is worth buying it alone.

Associate
There's a growing discussion on the FM3 forums about the cars being lower detail outside of replays and menus.

I can't say I noticed much myself, but the pictures some people have posted prove otherwise.

It could be the demo has an LOD bug. What tends to happen is they have 2/3 version of a model and they change according to how far away from the opponents you are. Maybe there is a bug in the demo and the correct LOD is not being displayed, or they are being very cloak and dagger about the 10x more detail which is not actually used when racing.

It's not a big deal for me, but the photos of the in-game models I've seen do seem to be poorer than MF2, esp the Minis headlight surround. Fingers crossed it's just a glitch.

There will be more than 2/3 LODs, but thats to be expected. 10x more detailed models is probably true, but it will only ever be used on the very closest cars, possibly even just the player car. There's no way they can have 5 cars with 200,000+ polys each. They'll quickly half that, then again and again it will drop fast as the cars get further away.

The demo may have poor LOD distances that they hope to improve as the game is optimised for release, if they do eek out any more performance it will be high on the list of priorities. But don't go expecting massive improvements.

GT5 has the same limitations, they just hide it a bit better, look at Prologues rear view mirrors though and it's very obvious.

Played the demo a bit today, it's pretty much more of the same, which is no bad thing. Much nicer cars, but they had to do that, Forza 2's were shocking in places. Colours and shading was poor but I was playing on an old LCD. Handling, didn't seem massivly different to me, which I'm pleased about.
A probable buy for me, which is rare these days, I just need to decide if there's enough new stuff to interest me.

Soldato
i got to agree the handling is a lot better than Forza 2, but in doing so has made it a lot easier. I'm not one to spend hours trying to get a perfect setup on a car or its controls, and even in hard mode it just feels like any other decent car game and is easy to come 1st, certainly nothing really sim like to me just feels like another arcade mode racing game which is no bad thing

Back
Top Bottom