Free Cisco Meraki AP

How's everyone getting on with theirs?. I've only just plugged mine in so will begin to play!.

Have you switched your original routers to modem only and allowed the AP to provide wireless? or simply used it as an additional wireless ap?

It's crap, but it works OK if you use network cables without a boot on the connector, wall mount it with the cable disappearing through the wall and power it with PoE.

What model did y'all get? I got an MR12, which is the bottom of the line one. Really impressed with it, such a slick setup. Expensive, though.

Was thinking more of the networks side. I checked prices on an 8-port Meraki switch, and with 3-year license it worked out at something like £800. The equivalent HP ProCurve would be more like £100.

My company have been rolling these out for around 9 months and they've been bomb proof. The cloud management and configuration is a godsend, the units don't go wrong and the automatic repeater functionality is fantastic for when the Netgear routers they're plugged in to go funny. Simple reboot and they're all back up and running as gateways again.

Couldn't recommend them enough although there are far cheaper alternatives on the market like the Unifi range from Ubiquiti which offer similar, and ever improving, cloud management.

My company have been rolling these out for around 9 months and they've been bomb proof. The cloud management and configuration is a godsend, the units don't go wrong and the automatic repeater functionality is fantastic for when the Netgear routers they're plugged in to go funny. Simple reboot and they're all back up and running as gateways again.

Couldn't recommend them enough although there are far cheaper alternatives on the market like the Unifi range from Ubiquiti which offer similar, and ever improving, cloud management.
Could you explain the automatic repeater functionality?

If one of the APs drops off the cabled network but still has power it automatically meshes to the nearest Meraki AP and becomes a repeater :cool:

There's absolutely no intervention required other than asking someone to reboot the router or switch (which is usually the cause of the problem) when it's convenient.

For anyone wondering why these APs cost a lot more than a £50 Linksys, I just spent a total of 15 minutes creating multiple SSIDs on Meraki APs to drop clients onto the same VLAN but with different access depending on their SSID. One SSID is totally unrestricted using WPA2 Enterprise / RADIUS for authentication, another one uses WPA2 PSK for guest access that blocks all access to the LAN so people can only do stuff on the web and rate limited it to a couple Mbps, and another WPA2 PSK which can only talk to the LAN for stuff like scanning terminals etc.

Didn't have to mess around with a VLAN for each type of client, all the magic happens on the AP. Then someone went and put them up on the ceiling and they pulled their configs down and it all worked.

Back
Top Bottom