Free Cisco Meraki AP

It's an enterprise grade access point. It also has a second LAN port that you can bind to an SSID which is quite handy if you're deploying them as VPN endpoints.

I got an answer to my question about VAT number requirement. For anyone else working for a charity with no VAT number here it is:
5mW61.png

Spoke to Tom on the phone and found out this answer wasn't entirely correct. I need to find out if the charity is officially exempt from paying VAT or not before they can send me the free AP :(.

Found out while typing this: not exempt, no free AP for me :(.

Edit: Spoke to the boss and I've been told they are VAT exempt, not sure why the other staff member said they weren't. Hopefully still a chance of getting the free AP :).

Last edited:
I am not aware of this having any routing ability (although I haven't checked). I assuming no PSU will be provided too. I'd be running it off a ASA 5505.

It sort of has - your SSIDs can have their own DHCP and NAT group, but whatever you shoved into the eth0 would need to be a connection that worked without needing something like PPPoE.

It's not designed to be a router though, so there's no point trying to use it as one.

Now that's more than a coincidence. I got an email from an Apple trainer arranged by a colleague of mine as we're interested in setting our iPads up a bit better than they are now for our students to use and not misuse. There's a mention of a Cisco Meraki in the email.

Signed up for a webinar tomorrow morning. A free device will be nice. :cool:

Apple doesn't yet have a way of deploying enforceable profiles to their devices over the air, for reasons I'm not sure of. The best that MDM can do is alert you when an iPad stops reporting back.

Meraki do a free MDM system which can tie in with their access points. I have no idea if it's any good because it was very limited when I looked at it 18 months ago and I opted for Casper instead. Casper is incredibly powerful and virtually free to education, but you have to host it yourself

Apple doesn't yet have a way of deploying enforceable profiles to their devices over the air, for reasons I'm not sure of. The best that MDM can do is alert you when an iPad stops reporting back.

Meraki do a free MDM system which can tie in with their access points. I have no idea if it's any good because it was very limited when I looked at it 18 months ago and I opted for Casper instead. Casper is incredibly powerful and virtually free to education, but you have to host it yourself
This it?

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/for-education

Damnit, people are selling these on. Boo. I can't get mine free because several people in my company have claimed already, dah.

That sucks, hope they are actually going to use them at least.

I'm still not sure if I'll be getting one yet, just called them again and now have to wait for someone to make a decision and email me back. I'm looking forward to trying out all the features so hope they decide I am eligible.

Back
Top Bottom