Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

some interesting initiatives in france, so as opposed to taxed pay rise (untaxed) petrol/public-transport/bike money

the annual exemption ceiling will be increased to 400 euros per year until December 2023 against 200 euros per year today. Concretely, an employee will be able to receive up to 400 euros per year from his company to cover his fuel costs… without this being imposed/taxed on either the latter or the company. But, remember, this boost to employees remains at the discretion of employers.

Interesting point for employees, they will exceptionally be able to combine, for two years, the compulsory payment of half of their public transport ticket by their company with the transport bonus paid for their journeys by vehicle

Another measure included in the bill: the increase in the exemption ceiling for the sustainable mobility package. The executive intends to show that he does not forget the urgency of the ecological question. The latter will be increased by 500 to 700 euros per year until the end of 2023. Employees using a bicycle to get to work can therefore potentially receive a lump sum allowance of a maximum amount of 700 euros per year for two years. And that, completely tax-free.

All the supermarkets around here are still 193.9-199.9 for diesel while all the non-supermarket fuel stations are 186 or less - aside from the rip off places which are still at 199.9.

Nothing has changed in terms of fuel costs here in Darlington from what I can see.

It’s usually quite cheap when compared to the places I generally frequent with work or visiting friends/family however this has not been the case for some while now.

I’ll just have to limit my journeys to 25 miles or so round trip and use electric only where I can until it starts to drop again as I don’t really feel like filling a tank now given my next long journey isn’t for a good week or so.. perhaps that week will be long enough for this armpit of the north east to catch up and catch on to what’s going on around it although I doubt it, fashion here seems to still be a decade behind the rest of the world :/

I’ll just have to limit my journeys to 25 miles or so round trip and use electric only where I can until it starts to drop again as I don’t really feel like filling a tank now given my next long journey isn’t for a good week or so

You do realise that for every 10p it drops you'll save £5 on a typical full tank on a plug in hybrid? It's a nice saving to have for sure but surely isn't worth planning and limiting your journeys just avoid buying a full tank of another week?

Nothing has changed in terms of fuel costs here in Darlington from what I can see.

It’s usually quite cheap when compared to the places I generally frequent with work or visiting friends/family however this has not been the case for some while now.

I’ll just have to limit my journeys to 25 miles or so round trip and use electric only where I can until it starts to drop again as I don’t really feel like filling a tank now given my next long journey isn’t for a good week or so.. perhaps that week will be long enough for this armpit of the north east to catch up and catch on to what’s going on around it although I doubt it, fashion here seems to still be a decade behind the rest of the world :/

1st world problems, a lot of people dont have that luxury of choice.

You do realise that for every 10p it drops you'll save £5 on a typical full tank on a plug in hybrid? It's a nice saving to have for sure but surely isn't worth planning and limiting your journeys just avoid buying a full tank of another week?
Exactly. For some people that £5 may be a consideration but those people weren't making unnecessary journeys anyway and they certainly don't tend to drive plug-in hybrids.

I did laugh the other day when I heard about someone who had gone fully committed on hypermiling... their M140i :rolleyes:

Does is matter they have an M140i? Significant gains can be had adjusting their driving style and if disciplined with it.
It just seems odd to me that someone is willing to pay a big premium to get a performance car but <£10 increase on a tank of fuel gets them drafting trucks at 56 mph. Fuel wasn't exactly cheap when they got the car so if fuel price was such a worry why not get a 118i M Sport? They'd probably have saved that <£10 a tank with the difference in fuel economy between the two cars.

Back
Top Bottom