Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

I take it that's a good price then? I probably should have got some! Lol

Unfortunately people will think this is a bargain when it's really not. That's how they build in "acceptable" price increases - shoot it up for a while and weather the public outrage then drop it back to nowhere near the pre-increase and people will accept it.

Petrol needs to be back sub £1.50 for it to be reasonable.

Unfortunately people will think this is a bargain when it's really not. That's how they build in "acceptable" price increases - shoot it up for a while and weather the public outrage then drop it back to nowhere near the pre-increase and people will accept it.

Petrol needs to be back sub £1.50 for it to be reasonable.
Who is 'they'?

It was a phrase for general price increases not just related to fuel but, on this occasion, various parts of the supply chain at various times e.g. refiners, forecourts etc.

"Rocket and feather" price changes is also used.

Anyone think the refineries have realised they've been caught profiteering and are now cutting prices. It's a shame they also didn't check pre-covid numbers.

Screenshot-2022-07-17-112140.png

Screenshot-2022-07-17-112222.png

Screenshot-2022-07-17-112233.png

Why not just write a polite letter to OPEC and ask them to fix the price of the oil at a lower price, and then get on the the US Fed and aske them to devalue the USD while you are at it. The price of refined fuel isn't dropping back anywhere near to the £1.50l any time soon, its gone and in the past for the time being.

Why not just write a polite letter to OPEC and ask them to fix the price of the oil at a lower price, and then get on the the US Fed and aske them to devalue the USD while you are at it. The price of refined fuel isn't dropping back anywhere near to the £1.50l any time soon, its gone and in the past for the time being.

Erm the increase in refining spread is actually ~equal to the crude oil price increase and exchange rate effect.

Imagine knocking off 20-25p + VAT off a litre.

Erm the increase in refining spread is actually ~equal to the crude oil price increase and exchange rate effect.

Imagine knocking off 20-25p + VAT off a litre.

I'm totally lost why that has anything to do with my comment, which is about the cost of oil going up, and the strong USD. I didn't mention the 'refining' cost only the end cost of the refined fuel. :confused:

EDIT: I see why you posted that, I typed my message at the same time you were posing those graphs and you thought I was replying to you, when we must have posted within a few seconds of each other.

as the detailed govt report (graphs) says though even though uk refiner capacity remains the same as pre-covid other countries like china had mothballed refineries and bringing them and others back to capacity has overheads associated.
plus, drop in consumption during covid had reduced profit margin , so like the retailer spread they can legitimately try and recover losses.

... was wondering how much petrol gets evaporated during the heat ... should I put car in garage

Apparently Biden has just visited Saudi Arabia and negotiated an agreement to produce around 13 million more barrels of oil a day. This, theoretically anyway, reduce prices. The capacity has always been there, nothing fancy or different will happen in the oilfields to enable this increased production, it’s always been there, just they haven’t extracted it.

as the detailed govt report (graphs) says though even though uk refiner capacity remains the same as pre-covid other countries like china had mothballed refineries and bringing them and others back to capacity has overheads associated.
plus, drop in consumption during covid had reduced profit margin , so like the retailer spread they can legitimately try and recover losses.

... was wondering how much petrol gets evaporated during the heat ... should I put car in garage
Your tank and fuel system is a sealed system. Any evaporation will reverse once it cools down.

Yeah it’s not the 1980s.

Google PZEV jpaul, homework time for you.

Apparently Biden has just visited Saudi Arabia and negotiated an agreement to produce around 13 million more barrels of oil a day. This, theoretically anyway, reduce prices. The capacity has always been there, nothing fancy or different will happen in the oilfields to enable this increased production, it’s always been there, just they haven’t extracted it.

Yes this is not a new thing with OPEC…

Yup garages around me in Hampshire have even gone down slightly. Now the bargain price of 183ppl in a couple of them.
Not holding much hope we’ll see 130ppl again anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom