Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

Perhaps the performance car is bought for performance reasons outside of the daily grind and they just tolerate the commute costs and would prefer to reduce as generally there's no fun to be had on most commutes.
This. Don't really see the contradiction. It's one of the things that drew me to owning my car. Not really practical to own two cars, so having something that was a fun little toy for the weekend but could still crack 40MPG when pootling to work and back on the motorway was great.

Also, top down with hat/scarf doesn't make you a wally. Makes you the chaddiest of chads. Top down unless the storm has a name.

Has to be said, if you have a convertible you should have the top down every chance you get.

Nope:p

I drive a convertible but never take the hard top off :D Only did so originally when I bought it because my head hit the roof with helmet on, but once the seat was lowered the sun can bugger off, I'm allergic, come out all red and blistery :D

Bought for cheap RWD fun, not open top motoring but I can see the scorn I get from other MX5 owners :D

This. Don't really see the contradiction. It's one of the things that drew me to owning my car. Not really practical to own two cars, so having something that was a fun little toy for the weekend but could still crack 40MPG when pootling to work and back on the motorway was great.
I imagine the point has been missed somewhat. It wasn’t that people shouldn’t or couldn’t drive economically, it was that the person in question was taking it to the extreme. May as well have brought a car much more suited such as a Golf GTD or something. But each to their own it’s still amusing to see.

I imagine the point has been missed somewhat. It wasn’t that people shouldn’t or couldn’t drive economically, it was that the person in question was taking it to the extreme. May as well have brought a car much more suited such as a Golf GTD or something. But each to their own it’s still amusing to see.
I guess. To be fair though, circumstances have changed dramatically. It's not like fuel prices have gone up by 1 or 2 pence - they've gone up by 50p a litre.
I can see why someone who bought the car when the fuel price wasn't a major concern has now been caught out to the extend where they might feel the need to try hypermiling.

My new car, she no understand hypermiling.

20220726-160824.jpg

.. or, on the run from, absconding at petrol station

Does the air conditioning petrol reduction offset the aerodynamic mpg hit
At motorway speeds I'd be amazed if A/C isn't more fuel efficient than having the top down. Obviously at lower speeds you don't get the same drag penalty for having the roof off.

you think it is as low as that ? - so commuting top down at average ~50mph would be a non-starter

.. until we get another(?) ev convertible in the market, some scuttle shake design issues I fear, the skateboard is challenged without a roof,
or, need a T bar, mate had an mr2

Back
Top Bottom