Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

CO - 3series/i6, late teens.

just reading this https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/docs/e10-ethanol-in-petrol-for-bmws/

“One other thing to look out for is hot-running. Ethanol actually burns at a lower temperature than petrol. If you look at the molecular structures of petrol and ethanol, you will see a major difference: ethanol contains an oxygen atom, whereas petrol is oxygen-free. When the ethanol petrol blend is combusted in the engine, the oxygen supplied by ethanol – that would not be there in pure petrol – is now added. This causes the fuel-air mixture to become leaner and can result in hot running. However, it can be resolved by setting your fuel mixture slightly richer.”
... so e10 could warm up cat faster

I'll go out and try and burn remaining E10 tomorrow,
If your 3 series is late teens, then you’ll have no issues using E10 when it comes to MOT time imo.
The issues arise on much much older cars that aren’t designed to use it.
I MOT full time and haven’t heard of or experienced any cars failing due to E10 use (not to say it isn’t possible) and if they do fail on CO, it’s always another reason.

Any recommended APP for finding up to date fuel prices?

When filling up at Asda yesterday I noticed Diesel was over 30p more expensive per litre.

Cannot believe that even locally the price per litre varies so much.

Costco is still much cheaper but it is always stupidly busy, to the point where it causes congestion on the main road leading up to Costco.

Last edited:
Our fuel card suppliers rang us on Thursday and said dont fill up until Monday unless you had to, as diesel was going to be £1.62 per litre and unleaded £146.03 for this week. Petrol stations just running behind until they get new stocks in but I expect most to be that price by the end of this week.

Well from the autumn budget it'll be going up by an average of 23p/litre on petrol in spring so enjoy it while you can...

only 13.32p (if true) as its reported as a increase in duty of 23%. But duty was set to drop from March 2023 by 8.6% so nobody is quite sure whether this 23% means instead of the 8.6% drop or it means it will be 23% more than if the drop had gone ahead in which case it will only be a 7.18p increase from where we are now.

$88 barrel down to china being slow & potential opec uptick biden being nice to MBS... locally e5 Bp dropped 3p to 178.

Our fuel card suppliers rang us on Thursday and said dont fill up until Monday unless you had to, as diesel was going to be £1.62 per litre and unleaded £146.03 for this week
mates rates with the fuel card, or public.

$88 barrel down to china being slow & potential opec uptick biden being nice to MBS... locally e5 Bp dropped 3p to 178.

mates rates with the fuel card, or public.
Nope bog standard fuel cards. We have shell, fast fuels and another one that escapes me for the moment. They are usually a few pence cheaper than retail but at the moment they are about 20p cheaper. Some forecourts must be cashing in and making a killing ATM if they have had a delivery since the weekend

We have shell, fast fuels and another one that escapes me for the moment
didn't see any backing off by shell yet - so went BP for my E5 - 178

If your 3 series is late teens, then you’ll have no issues using E10 when it comes to MOT time imo.
The issues arise on much much older cars that aren’t designed to use it.
I MOT full time and haven’t heard of or experienced any cars failing due to E10 use (not to say it isn’t possible) and if they do fail on CO, it’s always another reason.
maybe pets cost more , £300 for a new cat is the verdict after still failing CO after an extended warm-upragging
hadn't appreciated there are homologated and not homologated cats - homologated 2x price

Just got our updates from our fuel card suppliers for next week and the price of diesel and petrol have dropped another 5p for next week :)

I hope this trend in dropping prices continues!!!!!!

£1.54 for diesel and £1.40 for unleaded inc VAT.

If any fuel stations are more than a few pence above those prices then somebody is making a killing in profit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom