Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

Does look like I'm missing out on a better class of petrol pump on the Motorway with snack advertising

.. still 1.64.x UL Cambridgeshire, (worldwide) do any of the EV stations have hoardings advertising price.

Yes, mine has too. I filled up nine days ago, I filled up today and was amazed it’s gone up by 9p/litre since my last fill.

Which makes no sense when you think about the claims the sellers make that that only put it up to cover their costs in buying wholesale. I know for a fact my local place hasn't filled up. It's a backroads station that has very limited demand.

Diesel has been increasing much every other day..

1.84/ 1.85. With spurts when you can't get any having. To forced pay higher prices

When is this going to stop ??

Getting ridiculous, something needs to happen , along with everything everything else we have to increasingly pay for

When oil costs come down they are so bloody slow at dropping the prices, it hasn't even come down imo

Last edited:
I've had a week off work so the trip to work tomorrow, past the fuel stations, should reveal all.

Glad i don't need petrol/diesel.

Electric aint the most stabile fuel atm either.

Last edited:
I can’t ever see prices getting back down to their pre-covid levels and certainly not their during covid levels.

Don’t forget there is another 5p to go on in March and I expect they’ll keep adding to it as electric becomes more popular, firstly to keep the cash cow going and secondly to price older/less efficient cars off the roads so we can meet your climate change obligations.

As fuel volume sales drop, retailers will not be able to stick to that 5p/litre margin either, they’ll have to take more and more to stay afloat. That will be passed on to the customer.

Fuel sales are dropping in countries that are ahead of us in regards to EV adoption and it’s very much a sign of things to come.

I can’t ever see prices getting back down to their pre-covid levels and certainly not their during covid levels.

Don’t forget there is another 5p to go on in March and I expect they’ll keep adding to it as electric becomes more popular, firstly to keep the cash cow going and secondly to price older/less efficient cars off the roads so we can meet your climate change obligations.

As fuel volume sales drop, retailers will not be able to stick to that 5p/litre margin either, they’ll have to take more and more to stay afloat. That will be passed on to the customer.

Fuel sales are dropping in countries that are ahead of us in regards to EV adoption and it’s very much a sign of things to come.
And how do you top up your eV car? That's right. With electricity and how's the prices of electricity these days?

yes octopus go was 5.5p, new renewals 12p - 120% increase, even if petrol is a higher perecentage of the, relative, ICE all-in running costs

Cambs - still 164.9 UL thursday fill-up

And how do you top up your eV car? That's right. With electricity and how's the prices of electricity these days?
I don’t get your point? All I said was that pre covid prices will never be seen again for petrol and diesel and they are set to rise further.

The same will probably be true with electric too although there are ways and means to get that bill down by making your own if you have the money to invest.

Meaning the poorer section of society gets hit more again i.e. those that cannot afford an EV

Higher upfront costs vs lower running costs if you can charge at home. It’s not that clear cut. I wouldn’t take that much stock in the market right now, there are very few used EVs out there, particularly that are > 5 years old. Those that exist are generally higher priced cars that those people wouldn’t be buying used.

The market will look very different come 2040 when most cars < 8 years old will be electric.

And businesses, my boss still has to fill up my van.

Depends on the business, economics strongly drives those decisions, particularly if the vans are not used day and night. A company like Royal Mail would have saved a fortune if they started electrifying their fleet earlier. Suitable vans for a big chunk of their fleet have been around for quite a few years at this point.

Was on holiday in Devon last week and one evening drove past Sainsbury's at 1.59 ppl (petrol). Thought, "I'll wait till the morning" and duly drove to the pumps to see that it had gone up to 1.61 overnight. Grumble, grumble. However, upon reaching home (lincoln), cheapest I could get from supermarkets was 1.71!

Depends on the business, economics strongly drives those decisions, particularly if the vans are not used day and night. A company like Royal Mail would have saved a fortune if they started electrifying their fleet earlier. Suitable vans for a big chunk of their fleet have been around for quite a few years at this point.
We are a small family run business and we provide service to garages all over the country. This morning I’m down in Cornwall, on Thursday I was in Birmingham. I do 30,000+ a year, we have 3 other vans doing that and more. We can’t just change to electric it’s not practical.

Last edited:
We are a small family run business and we provide service to garages all over the country. This morning I’m down in Cornwall, on Thursday I was in Birmingham. I do 30,000+ a year, we have 3 other vans doing that and more. We can’t just change to electric it’s not practical.
I never said it was for everyone :), I just said the decision making process for a business is very different to that of a consumer.

In reality, people regularly trailing up and down the country is very much in the minority. Most do a lot of miles in a local area and return to a fixed location at night.

At the end of the day, it’s all about the fleet economics. Even if you only reduced the total cost of ownership by £1k per van, when you’ve got thousands or even tens of thousands of vehicles in your fleet (E.g. RM, BT, DPD etc.) the cost reductions on the business are significant.

You can also then engage with the greenwashing agenda and big business loves a good marketing opportunity.

Anyway we are getting well off topic and I didn’t intend for this to turn into some kind of electric vs ICE discussion.

I was merely point out that as people stop buying diesel and petrol cars, the retailers will have to take more margin to keep the business afloat as the volume of fuel sold drops. This is likely to be the long term trend, not something we are going to see immediately.

Electric business vans for British gas/centrica or Amazon probably benefit from vertical integration with cheap electricity they can guarantee into the future,
insulating them from electricity price ramp for other commercial/private users.

Back
Top Bottom