Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

Yeah I’m not really concerned about Corporations such as BT, Royal Mail ect. They have the purchasing power to get huge discounts when it comes to replacing their fleet.

I’m more concerned about the everyday people that are still being hit hard by the high prices of fuel. Businesses such as ours that spend a significant amount on fuel per year.

Last edited:
Higher upfront costs vs lower running costs if you can charge at home. It’s not that clear cut.

Yes, however to access the lower running costs, you need to pay the higher up front costs which some sections of society cannot afford either as cash or as a loan.

If petrol/diesel becomes unaffordable and EVs are also unaffordable then that's a big issue.

I had to fill the car up and stopped at Morrisons for some diesel - it was at 194.9p a litre :eek: . **** that! Turn-tailed it out of there.

Even my local garage was 5p cheaper a litre.

We really are being played for mugs.

I had to fill the car up and stopped at Morrisons for some diesel - it was at 194.9p a litre :eek: . **** that! Turn-tailed it out of there.

Even my local garage was 5p cheaper a litre.

We really are being played for mugs.
I think Morrisons are starting to struggle to keep their profits up from their grocery side and are trying to cover this with their fuel.
They've consistently been the most expensive supermarket for fuel by me for months now and generally not just by a penny or two but 5p+

Filled up today at Sainsbury’s, 7p a litre cheaper than anywhere else in town, really not sure how it’s swung so much as Morrisons was always cheaper but are now the most expensive by quite a few pence now in my town

Yeah I’m not really concerned about Corporations such as BT, Royal Mail ect. They have the purchasing power to get huge discounts when it comes to replacing their fleet.

I’m more concerned about the everyday people that are still being hit hard by the high prices of fuel. Businesses such as ours that spend a significant amount on fuel per year.

I'm dreading what is to come April and beyond with the way all the talk is going.

Well. This is going to smart a bit....

According to the U.K.’s budget watchdog, British motorists will be paying more for their (fossil) fuels next year. A 23% increase in fuel duty will be imposed from March, predicts a paragraph in the Office of Budget Responsibility’s (OBR) backgrounder to today’s Autumn Statement by Chancellor Jeremy Hunt. The increase would net the U.K. government $6 billion, says the OBR. Chancellor Hunt did not mention the measure in his statement to parliament, 17 November. “This would be a record cash increase,” said the OBR’s Economic and Fiscal Outlook published earlier today. It would raise the price of petrol and diesel by around 12 pence a litre.

Fuel duty has been frozen in the U.K. since January 2011. In today’s statement Hunt confirmed that electric cars would become subject to vehicle excise duty, but he did not announce any plans to introduce road pricing. Earlier, Hunt had been delivered a letter from 24 Conservative MPs urging him to cut fuel duty. Among the MPs calling for the cut was former home secretary Priti Patel. Other signatories include 1922 Committee chair Sir Graham Brady and former Northern Ireland secretary Brandon Lewis. The letter was sent by former education minister Jonathan Gullis, and echoed the opinions of Howard Cox, chair of the Fair Fuel UK campaign group. “My fellow MPs and I want to see fuel duty cut to stimulate growth,” started the letter. “We have seen record high prices in filling up at the pumps in the last 12 months, and despite a strengthening pound and significant wholesale falls in recent weeks, petrol is still 22p/litre higher than back in January,” complained Gullis.

The MP called on the Chancellor to meet with him and Fair Fuel UK’s Cox to discuss the claimed “blatant unchecked profiteering in the fuel supply chain.” Cox said Hunt should “wake up to the reality and be a real Tory.” Upon hearing that fuel duty could be reimposed from next year, Cox said he would fight the measure “tooth and nail.” He called any reimposition of fuel duty a “bombshell” and that Hunt did not mention it in his Autumn Statement was “sneaky.” Despite the fact the OBR included the measure in their fiscal outlook document it does not follow that the Chancellor will definitely unfreeze the duty.
If not suitable for this thread, mods please move, but this seems to be the defacto thread for discussing fuel prices at the moment.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ~cw
Yikes, time to bump up to a Stage 3 tune on the daily driver - for improved commute fuel efficiency obvs ;)

Someone give me a nudge when third-hand Teslas are sub-£15k with generic replacement packs and homebrew hacks to enable generic fast charging are available. Until then, vroom vroom!

164 e10 / e5 180 north cambridge

... need to get some of the good stuff mechanic told me yesterday, as he failed it on CO emissions, plus find a good stretch of road for cat.
mental note for next year go e5, or prepare to fail.

... need to get some of the good stuff mechanic told me yesterday, as he failed it on CO emissions, plus find a good stretch of road for cat.
Out of interest, what did it fail on?
CO or HC?
I can’t imagine a different grade of petrol would affect it at all unless it’s 20+ years old.

Last edited:

My missus Ignis Sport failed on emissions as well. First time in 9 years of ownership. I am thinking E10 is to blame. Ended up putting a new cat on.

Out of interest, what did it fail on?
CO or HC?
I can’t imagine a different grade of petrol would affect it at all unless it’s 20+ years old.
CO - 3series/i6, late teens.

just reading this https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/docs/e10-ethanol-in-petrol-for-bmws/

“One other thing to look out for is hot-running. Ethanol actually burns at a lower temperature than petrol. If you look at the molecular structures of petrol and ethanol, you will see a major difference: ethanol contains an oxygen atom, whereas petrol is oxygen-free. When the ethanol petrol blend is combusted in the engine, the oxygen supplied by ethanol – that would not be there in pure petrol – is now added. This causes the fuel-air mixture to become leaner and can result in hot running. However, it can be resolved by setting your fuel mixture slightly richer.”
... so e10 could warm up cat faster

I'll go out and try and burn remaining E10 tomorrow,

CO - 3series/i6, late teens.

just reading this https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/docs/e10-ethanol-in-petrol-for-bmws/

“One other thing to look out for is hot-running. Ethanol actually burns at a lower temperature than petrol. If you look at the molecular structures of petrol and ethanol, you will see a major difference: ethanol contains an oxygen atom, whereas petrol is oxygen-free. When the ethanol petrol blend is combusted in the engine, the oxygen supplied by ethanol – that would not be there in pure petrol – is now added. This causes the fuel-air mixture to become leaner and can result in hot running. However, it can be resolved by setting your fuel mixture slightly richer.”
... so e10 could warm up cat faster

I'll go out and try and burn remaining E10 tomorrow,
Sounds like it need an Italian tune up. Go and rag the nuts off it. Full throttle and revving it right out.

• Haha
Reactions: ~cw
Back
Top Bottom