Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

This week's card prices (inc VAT)

UL - Shell £139.04
Diesel - Shell £158.22

Prices at most fuel pumps across the country should be a few pence per litre more. thats it,

Last edited:
The boss has now told us we are to be using Keyfuel fuel cards only now as the price we get it for is £1.59 for diesel, the pump price was £1.87.9!

Absolutely shocking how badly we are being ripped off at the pump.
Exactly what I have been saying. The forecourts are making an extra 20 to 30p per litre at the moment on top of the normal profits they make. The media really should be getting onto this

Then report your findings to the media and start the ball rolling.

Would anybody listen? I mean its not hard to notice of see? If I was a reporter it would take me all of 10 minutes to think exchange rate now at least 10% better and cost of a barrel of crude oil has dropped by almost 50% but fuel pump prices ahve only dropped 10% and a quick google would show its the petrol stations keeping the prices high.

Clearly having a go at Harry and Meghan sells more papers.

Consequently, the RAC believes retailers are now collectively enjoying margins of more than 20p a litre.

Simon Williams, fuel spokesman for RAC, said: “It’s bordering on a scandal that drivers are being overcharged so much because the big four supermarkets, which dominate UK fuel retailing are flatly refusing to reduce their prices by bigger amounts. Their prices are dropping like a feather when they should be falling like a stone.

“In 10 years of closely monitoring fuel prices we have never seen major retailer margins this high for this long.

presumably garages are not shifting the volume, if they are offering lower prices to fuel card users - it's a market.

Would anybody listen? I mean its not hard to notice of see? If I was a reporter it would take me all of 10 minutes to think exchange rate now at least 10% better and cost of a barrel of crude oil has dropped by almost 50% but fuel pump prices ahve only dropped 10% and a quick google would show its the petrol stations keeping the prices high.

Clearly having a go at Harry and Meghan sells more papers.
Pricing hasn't gone entirely unnoticed as the link above shows, also reported here:

Perhaps the press aren't aware of the difference in fuel card prices, this is your opportunity to make them aware.

Pricing hasn't gone entirely unnoticed as the link above shows, also reported here:

Perhaps the press aren't aware of the difference in fuel card prices, this is your opportunity to make them aware.

Thing is you dont need to look at fuel card prices, as those links show, the RAC are making all the right noises and telling it like it is but its only publications like fleet news and thisismoney that has picked up on it. MSM nothing.

presumably garages are not shifting the volume, if they are offering lower prices to fuel card users - it's a market.

supermarkets always put a supplemental price on fuelcards of a few pence per litre as they were "always" the cheapest and on such small margins, the fuel card price would leave them with barely anything.

Nothing has changed there, there are still happy with a few pence profit on fuelcard sales. Just raking it in from the general public.

Meanwhile RAC charging people the best part of £300 for a battery which retails for £100 elsewhere...

EDIT: I've had some good service from the RAC but when it comes to price exploitation they'd be massive hypocrites and I'm fortunate I've not been in a position where I have no choice but to pay them for consumables.

Last edited:
138.9 for UL at Costco brum last night. 151 at the supermarkets near me.

Apparently it’s 130.9 at the essar pump in Grindley Brook.
I’ve only been a Costco member for a few months but I don’t recall the price difference being that high before? Usually 7-9ppl not 20p. It seems clear that the petrol station owners and supermarkets are taking much higher profits than the usual 2-4ppl for private forecourts and sometimes even loss leaders at the supermarkets.

Diesel out almost if not everywhere around here - was just a couple of garages having delivery issues and people went mad clearing everywhere out.

Back
Top Bottom