Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

Interesting that Diesel is now about 15% more expensive than Petrol. Small turbo petrol engines probably aren't costing that much more to run than diesel for people doing a lot of short journeys.

Struggling to find E5 on some days in London right now! Lack of tanker drivers willing to work over holiday period apparently....... :rolleyes:

Was down in Southsea on Wednesday, filled up with VPower for 1.66, cheaper than up here and cheapest I've seen for a while.

Last edited:
yes, is tanker drivers a brexit thing ... got to be a premium driving job with the additional safety requirements/training, no night stop-overs ? guess scania would know,

if china's actually having covid issues guess prices may drop back - beeb were talking about factories of workers being infected.

Stop oil, Christmas, Facebook rumour, HGV driver shortage, Ukraine, Brexit…

Take a pick :cry:
HGV driver shortage - they do not want to work the extra hours at xmas apparently....although I have noticed most pumps in London near where I live are back to normal this week not seeing any shortages right now think its ended.

Do we think the big price difference between diesel and petrol is here to stay? I’m on the market for a new car as my current commuter isn’t ULEZ compliant. I’d like another diesel as it suits my motorway commute but I’m tempted to go back to petrol with the price differences between the fuel.

Last edited:
Do we think the big price difference between diesel and petrol is here to stay? I’m on the market for a new car as my current commuter isn’t ULEZ compliant. I’d like another diesel as it suits my motorway commute but I’m tempted to go back to petrol with the price differences between the fuel.

Hard to know for sure

Depends on the miles you’re doing but it might be just as cheap to have a petrol car.

My S5, for example, will do 38-41 MPG on a run, according to the trip computer.

That being said, a tank of diesel will still go further, so if you’re on the road a lot, you might be better going diesel just on the basis you don’t need to fill up as regularly.

There's more to consider when choosing between a petrol or diesel than just fuel prices, though it is of course a large factor.

15,000 miles/pa used to be around the cross over where a diesel made more sense than petrol, considering the difference in averaging servicing costs etc. With how the price of fuel has moved lately this is probably now higher.

But I'm sure there's a decent technical way to asses it somewhere...

Filled up at Tesco Kings Lynn again -

148.9p - Petrol E10
155.9p - Super E5
170.9p - Diesel

When diesel is 22p a litre more, and with petrols getting more MPG than before, the case for diesel for a lot of people might be changing.

The Russian diesel import ban is still to come in, so the price of diesel could still increase more depending on how the market adjusts (it could well just make everything more expensive depending on how local refineries respond).

Back
Top Bottom