Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

Well can sadly report West London E5 99 RON seems to be out pretty much everywhere right now...just spent ages trying several different stations all are totally out of any petrol whatsoever.....seems to be perhaps xmas driving journeys & train strike related but no-one seems to know what the exact source of the sudden mysterious shortages are.... :eek:

Well can sadly report West London E5 99 RON seems to be out pretty much everywhere right now...just spent ages trying several different stations all are totally out of any petrol whatsoever.....seems to be perhaps xmas driving journeys & train strike related but no-one seems to know what the exact source of the sudden mysterious shortages are.... :eek:

Speaking to the lady that works at my local petrol station today she said she's had the oldies in brimming their cars that they barely drive and filling up Jerry cans. Same idiots that panic bought last time.
One of them apparently even said he didn't know why he was doing it as he still had a load of fuel left from during the COVID lockdowns.

Speaking to the lady that works at my local petrol station today she said she's had the oldies in brimming their cars that they barely drive and filling up Jerry cans. Same idiots that panic bought last time.
One of them apparently even said he didn't know why he was doing it as he still had a load of fuel left from during the COVID lockdowns.
Honestly does not surprise me if only they knew how dangerous it is to carry a jerry can if the fumes escape in the usually hot boot compartment as that's where the exhaust sits below....! very selfish as well!

Dunno the ins and outs of it but a couple of the more prominent independent garages around my way have some kind of contract dispute with BP and are likely being bought out by I think Asda which is interrupting deliveries which is triggering panic buying :( compounded by the co-op garage on the main road having issues with their diesel pumps still from being damaged when there was the big shortage before and people were doing silly things, causing at times all but one diesel pump to be unavailable which again is adding to the panic buying :(

Resulting in effectively shortages.

Just managed to get a full tank as they had a refill over night. Talking to the staff & the issue apparently is lack of drivers to get the fuel to the stations...no shortages of the actual petrol just not enough drivers who are working this side of xmas :(

yes maybe r4 Monday Today article got the price wrong

Oil prices reclaimed ground on Monday after tumbling more than $2 a barrel in the previous session as optimism from China's reopening and oil demand recovery outweighed concerns of a global recession.
Brent crude futures rose 72 cents, or 0.9%, to $79.76 a barrel by 0103 GMT while U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude was at $74.89 a barrel, up 60 cents, or 0.8%.

-----------

This am petrol station apparently trying to justify their current 15p margin as increased electricity/energy costs, against RAC accusations.

yes maybe r4 Monday Today article got the price wrong

Oil prices reclaimed ground on Monday after tumbling more than $2 a barrel in the previous session as optimism from China's reopening and oil demand recovery outweighed concerns of a global recession.
Brent crude futures rose 72 cents, or 0.9%, to $79.76 a barrel by 0103 GMT while U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude was at $74.89 a barrel, up 60 cents, or 0.8%.

-----------

This am petrol station apparently trying to justify their current 15p margin as increased electricity/energy costs, against RAC accusations.

lol as if. Sadly some people will accept that. With the current business electric help, we got a 33% discount on our electric and its not that much more than it was this time last year. Even if it was, it doesnt warranty a tripling or more of your gross profit margin when electric will only be a very small percentage of your overall cost after the cost of the fuel itself. No way is it costing 15p per litre more in electric to pump. If it is, they need new more efficient pumps.

Last edited:
Prices have gone up by 1p this week at my usual petrol stations, so it was 144.9p per litre

I drive past both of them on my way to and from work, but the first one I pass had no unleaded left on Wednesday evening when I called in, so I called at the other one and filled up
It looked like they must have had a delivery though as when I went past the first one last night it was a lot busier

Not sure how and when they decide to change the prices of the fuel at these particular stations, but there have been a number of times when I have driven past on my way to work and seen one price, then later that afternoon on my way home it has been cheaper when I have called in to fill up

Prices have gone up by 1p this week at my usual petrol stations, so it was 144.9p per litre

I drive past both of them on my way to and from work, but the first one I pass had no unleaded left on Wednesday evening when I called in, so I called at the other one and filled up
It looked like they must have had a delivery though as when I went past the first one last night it was a lot busier

Not sure how and when they decide to change the prices of the fuel at these particular stations, but there have been a number of times when I have driven past on my way to work and seen one price, then later that afternoon on my way home it has been cheaper when I have called in to fill up

combination of two things - how much the last load of fuel has cost and how much the local competition is charging. Hence prices can go up and down and up again in the same day.

Back
Top Bottom