Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

I filled up the tank with unleaded E10 at £1.42 a litre this week although it may have dropped further by now. I am just glad I got rid of my diesel years ago as diesel is 23p per litre more expensive in Elgin now. Surely it makes little sense having a diesel anymore as the extra mileage per gallon over a petrol engine is wiped out by the extra cost over petrol.

Price of Diesel just dropped a lot here - but looks like it is about to go up a lot again as well :( I topped everything up while the prices are down a bit and it still cost me nearly £200 :(

I filled up the tank with unleaded E10 at £1.42 a litre this week although it may have dropped further by now. I am just glad I got rid of my diesel years ago as diesel is 23p per litre more expensive in Elgin now. Surely it makes little sense having a diesel anymore as the extra mileage per gallon over a petrol engine is wiped out by the extra cost over petrol.

That does depend on how much more economical the diesel is compared to the petrol version, and your usage profile for the car. If the diesel manages to be at least 15% more economical then it still makes sense.

Filled up at Tesco yesterday. Pleasantly surprised to find Momentum 99 was "only" £1.45. Had to do a double take to make sure I'd picked up the correct pump. Last time I filled up, it was £1.63 (although a different Tesco). Normal UL was £1.38 I think. Diesel still £1.60, but even that's the lowest I've seen for a while.

Last edited:
Filled up at Tesco yesterday. Pleasantly surprised to find Momentum 99 was "only" £1.45. Had to do a double take to make sure I'd picked up the correct pump. Last time I filled up, it was £1.63 (although a different Tesco). Normal UL was £1.38 I think. Diesel still £1.60, but even that's the lowest I've seen for a while.
If so that’s cheaper than Costco Premium yesterday.

That's v. Cheap.

Momentum yesterday in Enfield was 152.9

good deal for momentum - caught short in Cambourne the other day - Morrisons only had e10 @ 153 won't be going there again,
has assumed they had e5 when I followed a macan into the garage, female driver didn't know what e5 was when I remonstrated, out loud.

Interesting that Diesel is now about 15% more expensive than Petrol. Small turbo petrol engines probably aren't costing that much more to run than diesel for people doing a lot of short journeys.

They weren't anyway if you considered that the equivalent diesel cost more (new) and has higher servicing costs, needs adblue, costs more to insure etc. I think last time I saw a calculation on it, you needed to be doing more than 20,000 miles per annum for the diesel car to work out cheaper. With the price gap widening between petrol and diesel, that will be even more now.

There's more to consider when choosing between a petrol or diesel than just fuel prices, though it is of course a large factor.

15,000 miles/pa used to be around the cross over where a diesel made more sense than petrol, considering the difference in averaging servicing costs etc. With how the price of fuel has moved lately this is probably now higher.

But I'm sure there's a decent technical way to asses it somewhere...

You are a bit out of date. It was a good few years ago when it was 20,000 miles. Now it might be 25000 miles. Although that article was based on a 3 series BMW.

This article is on a Nissan Qashqai Tekna and it works out at 15,000 miles per annum but this was based on fuel prices back in feb 2022

With the majority of people in the UK averaging way less than 15,000, only those people who perhaps need diesel for towing or do very high mileage should be looking at diesels.

Last edited:
If I look at January 2022, almost to the day, I've done 7,500 miles in a year. I really think the times of an average use being 12k miles a year are behind us. And that's with runs to Newcastle and to SW Scotland too as exceptional journeys so probably take 500 miles off that as well for my normal use.

Even 12k average was a long time ago, like 20 years ago. Average mileage has been steadily falling since then, by 2019 (last pre-pandemic year) it was 7400, it dropped further in 2020 but I don't think you can really use 2020/21 data as a guide due to lockdowns.

Last edited:
Even 12k average was a long time ago, like 20 years ago. Average mileage has been steadily falling since then, by 2019 (last pre-pandemic year) it was 7400, it dropped further in 2020 but I don't think you can really use 2020/21 data as a guide due to lockdowns.
I'm still doing double the average miles even with only having to be in the office twice a week. Pre pandemic I'd have been having to find a new job with these fuel prices and 20k+ miles a year which I used to think was normal :o

Back
Top Bottom