Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

It’s not as easy to buy red now as it used to be. You need to be in certain industries. I got refused when I tried to buy some for the companies steam cleaner.

Last edited:
there's a form (yearly?) that if submitted lets you buy red diesel, for small holdings etc...know a few that haven't bothered and now can't buy it

the only definite recollection I have of testing for red diesel on obvioulsy non commercial vehicles was at a 4x4 show in the early 90s! seem to remember the test point was in the car park (a field) but must have been waiting on the public entry road?

The pound is stronger than it has been for ages and has been pretty stable at around $1.25 to £1 for weeks. Oil has been low for months and is back down to were it was before Opec's production cut so it would be nice if they would pass the drop on at the pumps. There hasn't been a price drop for several weeks now and the last here only dropped by a penny to £1.39.7p per litre. Yet again we are being ripped off.

News flash. Oil price is one factor. Gasoline wholesale price is another /refining margins. The products out of a refinery have their own market too.

The pound is stronger than it has been for ages and has been pretty stable at around $1.25 to £1 for weeks. Oil has been low for months and is back down to were it was before Opec's production cut so it would be nice if they would pass the drop on at the pumps. There hasn't been a price drop for several weeks now and the last here only dropped by a penny to £1.39.7p per litre. Yet again we are being ripped off.
Supermarkets havn't dropped their prices which is why the govt were firing warning shots over their bows lately the local independent is about the same as the supers now once upon a time they were at least 10-15p more expensive. They're not exactly rich so if their margins are the same the supermarkets must have upped theirs

n.b.I'd love it if prices were that cheap here £1.43 is the best here

It’s not as easy to buy red now as it used to be. You need to be in certain industries. I got refused when I tried to buy some for the companies steam cleaner.
I know people who live in NI and they always tell me they just rock up the petrol station go speak to the attendant who gives them a key to unlock te red diesel pump and they then fill up a jerry can or something similar and as long as it doesnt go straight into the car the garage doesnt seem to care. Ironically normal diesel is cheaper in NI than the mainland UK (near me 146.7p for diesel, 131.9 is the cheapest in belfast)

Last edited:

They supply our heating oil and I top up on red diesel, which if I buy in 205 litre drum quantities is as cheap or cheaper than anywhere in the UK. The wife tries to fill her diesel car there too if logistics permit. Good place to have as a local fuel station! Petrol prices are usually ultra competitive as well.

Last edited:
Is that the Oldham one Sho? queues have been mad everytime ive tried to use that one, same for my local one in Brum. I'd rather pay a penny or so more and avoid the queues.
That’s correct. When I go I normally go late evening when it’s quite or on my days off, first in the morning. All depends when I need to fuel up.

Another time to go is school runs. It’s always empty at that time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom