Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

They supply our heating oil and I top up on red diesel, which if I buy in 205 litre drum quantities is as cheap or cheaper than anywhere in the UK. The wife tries to fill her diesel car there too if logistics permit. Good place to have as a local fuel station! Petrol prices are usually ultra competitive as well.
Everyone in Telford seems to think there's some crazy fuel racket going on here just because D.a. Roberts is cheaper.
They don't seem to realise that for general petrol stations we're about the same as everywhere else.

Roberts have substantial on site storage, and are syndicated with a huge operation that buys cheap and keeps fuel tankered off shore, (or so I was told about the off shore storage). Big investments, big profits though!

Just been up to Whitchurch to fill up but not at Roberts -It's the other side and if its heaving it is a bit dodgy getting in - so went to the local Biker garage at cafe except it must have been a Mod day as all these old blokes on scooters were topping up.
£1,39 for petrol and diesel and lowest fillup cost I have had for ages.

That would have been nice except I haven't found you yet.

Keep looking for the new gates and entrance, You have now narrowed it down to which side of Whitchurch it is. - To be honest you don't really want a grumpy old man to tea. :)

Anyone else experienced this? Randomly (more often than not to be in fact!) I fill up at Esso and use the app to do the whole thing. I only fill up at either Esso or Shell as they seem to be the only ones that offer a fully app-based service as I find going in to pay and then decline the special offer of a Twix and crisps for £2.50 trivial at best :p

Anyway, some days later the transaction gets refunded back to my card (I use Samsung Pay all the time). This doesn't happen every fill up though, but there have been several over the past year for sure and only at Esso. The first couple of times it happened Esso support said it was likely due to the petrol station being new to either the location or the system so this can happen, those payments were never taken again and I thought nothing more of it other than a nice gift from the universe.
Yet it still randomly happens, days later a full refund back onto my card.

Free fuel!

When not free though it's £1.57/l for Synergy+ 99 here.

Last edited:
Anyone else experienced this? Randomly (more often than not to be in fact!) I fill up at Esso and use the app to do the whole thing. I only fill up at either Esso or Shell as they seem to be the only ones that offer a fully app-based service as I find going in to pay and then decline the special offer of a Twix and crisps for £2.50 trivial at best :p

Anyway, some days later the transaction gets refunded back to my card (I use Samsung Pay all the time). This doesn't happen every fill up though, but there have been several over the past year for sure and only at Esso. The first couple of times it happened Esso support said it was likely due to the petrol station being new to either the location or the system so this can happen, those payments were never taken again and I thought nothing more of it other than a nice gift from the universe.
Yet it still randomly happens, days later a full refund back onto my card.

Free fuel!

When not free though it's £1.57/l for Synergy+ 99 here.

Can you outline the exact process you use, for research?

Thanks

I can't even use the Esso app, it just won't accept any of my debit cards. I've contacted Esso and my bank but they just point the finger at each other.
I've tried adding my Chase debit card (Mastercard) and my Samsung Pay/Curve card (linked to the Chase card), nothing works.

I have my Barclays debit and Amex cards added to Samsung pay, I don't think it has anything to do with what bank card you use though as all the merchant sees is the Samsung Pay Mastercard, so it's in relation to Samsung Pay/Curve and Rontec (Esso) by the looks of it. Not complaining though!

Can you outline the exact process you use, for research?

Thanks
Heh no specific process really, Use app, pay using the inputted Samsung Pay (Curve) card in the app, authorise the transaction in Curve when prompted and then wait a couple of days for the refund if it comes through that time round

:D

Last edited:
Mostly the same price here now too. Except for the gougers like BP.

Both have dropped in to the 130s.

Annoying super unleaded has become hard to find.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom