Fuji X Series

Caporegime
Ok, when I me at better results I was meaning more detail as you mentioned.

If you are shooting jpegs then I am sure the difference is mainly down to JPEG processing And user settings.

Soldato
REALLY want one of these. Only bought a Canon s100 2 years ago so can't really justify it. Took my 5D3 on holiday recently and found myself having to plan when I could take it out with me which isn't really what I want.

Associate
Found this discussion, the guy is somewhat evangelical about his "discovery" but it kind of matches what I see relating to a 3x3 colour grid of the x-trans sensor.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z135hh5abkvich44o04ch5kz4kudwbob0l00k

I do occasionally shoot RAW too, converted using the Capture One (trial version), and it doesn't make any noticeable difference to the apparent resolution limit.

Looking back through some older landscape pics I'd say the pixel-peeping resolution limit looks similar, if not slightly better than my old 40D, which has a 10mp sensor. Kind of backs up what I see with the resolution expectation of a 15mp 3x3 colour array vs 2x2.

Note I am saying pixel-peeping resolution NOT sharpness. Basically the point at which you zoom in and objects become blocky. As I said before, up to the limit of resolution pics are beautifully sharp.

In real life none of this makes any real-world difference to me, but it could to some. Anyway it's useful to know a little more about the underlying technology.

Associate
Right, I have to pick between the 35mm f1.4 and the 18mm f2 on the X-Pro 1

Usage is travelling, city photography, pictures of friends and scenery while out cycling

Associate
Right, I have to pick between the 35mm f1.4 and the 18mm f2 on the X-Pro 1

Usage is travelling, city photography, pictures of friends and scenery while out cycling

Sounds like an ideal job for the 18mm to me. Small, light, sharp and fast enough. I find the 35 a little too tight for out-and-about photography.

Associate
anyone with an x pro1 advise on a cheap thumbs up grip? all the ebay ones are 'generic' and theres quite few reports that the ones for x100 etc arent long enuff for xpro 1

Associate
Made an impulse buy on the Amazon cyber Monday sales. X-M1 with the kit + 27mm 2.8. Free 55-230 on it's way. Body and all 3 lenses for £399 so I'm happy.

Had a quick play but no chance to go out take some real shots with it yet, but initially I'm impressed with the image quality. I figured I'd try it, worse comes to the worse I should be able to sell it off for the same price.

Will be interesting to see how it fits in around the 650D use...

If I keep it the XF10-24mm is on the hit list, wish it was £200 cheaper :(

Last edited:
Associate
What bags are you guys carrying your Fuji gear in? I'm really happy with the Crumpler Jackpack 4000 for the Canon 650D but wondering what you guys are using for the CSC?

Associate
I use a combination of a ThinkTank SpeedDemon V2 (a waist pack) which can hold two bodies and a couple of spare lenses.
If I'm going somewhere where I want to blend in, I use my Barbour Terras bag which looks just like a regular messenger bag, but fits quite a lot. It';s further enhanced with the addition of a Billingham insert (which fits perfectly) so you have the structure and rigidness of a traditional camera bag. Great combination.

Just for the record, I have an X100S, an X-Pro1 and an X-T1, so am firmly in the Fuji camp!

Soldato
My 14 year old lad that's getting into photography is getting one from this range for Christmas. Budget of around £300-£350. Is there a clear favourite at this price point ? What's a good allround lense for these as well.

Back
Top Bottom