Fuji X Series

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I thought you returned it ?
I did and went down the rabbit hole I was trying to avoid. End up with an XT3 with the 33mm 1.4 and 18mm 1.4. But then I realised ain’t no way I’m lugging this kit with me on any of my family trips. So back to the x100v (silver this time) and couldn’t be happier.
What sim/recipe are you using?

RAW, I haven’t gone down the jpeg / sim route yet. I want to install X Raw Studio and play around with some sims to see if there are any that I like enough to use on camera.

Soldato
How important is it to embed a colour profile within a JPEG for viewing on phones, pc, online etc?

I ask as the only way to seemingly preserve the exact colours of an OOC JPEG is to not convert or embed a colour profile? I realise info is lost etc, but the differences in colour shift aren't at all noticeable. If you embed default PS sRGB under export and embed, the picture will be different. Presumably this is due to minor differences in colour information being dumped/altered? Even having PS set to default preserve colour profile of an image when opening, if you export and just tick embed on its own, the image will still be different despite no conversion (it's already sRGB ooc). In an example image I took, the difference is noticeable with a shift to being cooler with more green/blue. The image also gets a fraction more washed out but that's much harder to spot. It's not 'bad' and not drastic, but it's noticeable. This is the case opening in firefox, when uploaded online etc.

This means if you want to crop ooc JPEG just once and do nothing else, the image will always be different unless you don't embed the sRGB colour profile the image has by default. It's then left without a colour profile.

Cropping in camera seems to crop the original JPEG as opposed to cropping from it's RAW file. There's no way to crop the RAW file in camera. This results in a fine jpeg becoming a normal quality jpeg with no way around it. In another example image, the in camera crop system (XT5) seems to have in built colour profile shift settings to try and compensate for the resaving of it's own JPEG whilst retaining a sRGB colour profile. In a different example image, it appears to add a fraction more warmth/red/magenta to compensate for what is presumably the shift to looking slightly cooler just like what I had with the first example image mentioned above in PS. Issue is, it seems to go a fraction too far the other way becoming warmer instead of the same. This could be inaccurate and it's simply a limitation of resaving a jpeg even just once and putting an sRGB profile over the top of an sRGB profile as the original sRGB profile interpretation of the RAW data is different to the reinterpretation of the JPEG data (it shouldn't make virtually any difference but it seemingly does, even in camera when it's using presumably the exact same sRGB profile settings).

Any way to keep sRGB embeded colour profile without any colour shift?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just pushed the button on an X-T5 as my very account had been closed a year so was able to reopen and take advantage of the 20% offer again.

£1159 in total, not 100% sure I need to upgrade from my X-T3 but it’s done now.
Stonking deal and FWIW I think it’s an excellent upgrade over the X-T3.
To be fair, the X-T3 is probably the best bang for buck camera I’ve owned over the years and it’s still superb to this day. However, the AF improvements and IBIS alone made the X-T5 worth it and the 40mp sensor is a bonus.
And don’t forget the newer film sims tucked in as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks looking forward to IBIS with a few of the primes and the 16-55mm which is on the most.

Heading to Switzerland for the first time in May so it will get a good workout.

Caporegime
That was my logic. They did do pre-orders before release which all sold out instantly. Really didn't expect to see any in stock at all, but saw they had a few silver models left so couldn't really resist. All sold out again within minutes.

I get mine tomorrow! Had the call from LCE today.

And this is classic chrome with XS10/35 1.4.

WZ3OaoP.jpg

Caporegime
Awesome! Keen to know what you think of it.

After I got the call I hurriedly went online to order all the bits that I need, from SD card and screen protector. But the stuff like thumb grip and soft button from smallrig isn’t released yet.

Not sure when I will properly use it in anger yet but I look forward to getting a new toy at least. It’s been a while since I bought a brand new camera on release. I think the last one was the A73 back in 2017.

Back
Top Bottom