Fuji X Series

Caporegime
The 23mm 1.4 is an exceptional lens. It's my main go to lens for travel and most other things. Very sharp wide open for a 1.4 too. You won't be disappointed!

How do you find the focus speed and AF noise? I read that turning off Pre-AF on the camera settings makes a huge difference to the noise.

Soldato
Just received the reason as to the high expense in getting my XT1 repaired. I'm not sure if this is a reasonable charge given the fact the item is still under warranty supplied by Wex though?
Isn't the point of a warranty to ensure that the camera performs to an expected level?

Following on from Joe's earlier email with you, Fuji have come back to us and informed us that your Camera requires a deep clean to remove the marks found on the sensor. They have stated that when they perform this level of clean on the sensor they are then required to perform a full service also to ensure that they camera performed to its expected level hence the higher cost on this occasion.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just received the reason as to the high expense in getting my XT1 repaired. I'm not sure if this is a reasonable charge given the fact the item is still under warranty supplied by Wex though?

So just to confirm, did you notice any of the "sensor dirt" in the photos you took before you sent it to Wex?

Caporegime
No. Nothing. I was really shocked by their claim. There was nothing visible on any photos even though they said the issue revealed itself at F4.

Then I'm sorry but it sounds like BS and unnecessary. Refuse the repair and get the camera back... or it too late for that?

Soldato
Anyone thinking about joining the GFX club next year ? ;)

Nope. Mostly F2.8-F4 lenses doesn't excite me. May as well stick with 35mm. If they release bigger F1.4 lenses, that would be interesting. As of now, I can only see this appealing to people who just need resolution.
Also, I'd wait for MKII version that'l likely have an x-trans with on sensor phase AF. Personally I feel this camera is Fuji's beta just to test the market and to get into the market early.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone thinking about joining the GFX club next year ? ;)

Depends on the body only price, I could see myself adapting my Pentax 67 lenses to it. I'd have a pretty comprehensive 35/44/60/85/160mm lineup if there was an adapter for it. As it stands, that sub $10k is a lot of Portra 400/Darkroom/Developing/Travel funds for me.

Nope. Mostly F2.8-F4 lenses doesn't excite me. May as well stick with 35mm. If they release bigger F1.4 lenses, that would be interesting. As of now, I can only see this appealing to people who just need resolution.
Also, I'd wait for MKII version that'l likely have an x-trans with on sensor phase AF. Personally I feel this camera is Fuji's beta just to test the market and to get into the market early.

Medium format in general won't be the format for you then, the fastest lenses were f/1.8-2.0 in the film days. Still very shallow on a large sensor though.

Caporegime
Still a week to go before I theoretically get my X-T2... Einstein was never more right when he said that time is ****ing relative. :D

I see. Personally I would get it back. Clean the sensor. If all is ok, sell on ebay.

Yup, and then I'd write Wex a crummy review and never use them again.

Last edited:
Associate
Still a week to go before I theoretically get my X-T2... Einstein was never more right when he said that time is ****ing relative. :D
Yup, and then I'd write Wex a crummy review and never use them again.

I feel your pain, but it's gonna be worth it. And anticipation can be a delicious thing. If you're anything like me I bet you're spending all your lunchtimes searching for reviews you haven't read yet :)

I've been watching this thread and considering moving up to an X-T2, but the wife's spec for flooring in our new house has just eaten my fudge fund! :(

Caporegime
I feel your pain, but it's gonna be worth it. And anticipation can be a delicious thing. If you're anything like me I bet you're spending all your lunchtimes searching for reviews you haven't read yet :)

I've been watching this thread and considering moving up to an X-T2, but the wife's spec for flooring in our new house has just eaten my fudge fund! :(

Lunchtimes? Probably the only time I'm not looking for more info about the camera, to be honest. :D

PS: Considering you can get interest-free credit very easily in the UK, there isn't much reason not to go for it. If I had access to those deals I would buy a lot of stuff and just pay it off monthly.

Soldato
I'm under the impression a lot of people believe you need two batteries to use the grip. A recent review by the Angry Photographer indicated that charging on the XT2 was sequential and that power to the camera was provided initially from the battery in the camera and then slot one in the grip, followed by slot two. It was also indicated that you only needed an original battery for in camera use and any XT1 battery in the grip to prevent lockups. When selling the grip Wex were indicating you specifically required 3 batteries when this is actually not the case. They rather incredulously suggested to me that many of their customers requiring the grip were not even aware it required batteries. This I found hard to believe. Another tip from the Angry Photographer suggested using a very high speed card for the raw slot and a cheaper, less costly and more reasonably priced card for the other without incurring buffer issues. Common-sensical, of course, but useful nonetheless.

Associate
I'm under the impression a lot of people believe you need two batteries to use the grip. A recent review by the Angry Photographer indicated that charging on the XT2 was sequential and that power to the camera was provided initially from the battery in the camera and then slot one in the grip, followed by slot two. It was also indicated that you only needed an original battery for in camera use and any XT1 battery in the grip to prevent lockups. When selling the grip Wex were indicating you specifically required 3 batteries when this is actually not the case. They rather incredulously suggested to me that many of their customers requiring the grip were not even aware it required batteries. This I found hard to believe. Another tip from the Angry Photographer suggested using a very high speed card for the raw slot and a cheaper, less costly and more reasonably priced card for the other without incurring buffer issues. Common-sensical, of course, but useful nonetheless.

Yup, all that AP has said about the operational use of the camera/grip is correct. You can use the older NP-W126 ( not S ) battery in the grip itself, but not in the camera as it can cause lock ups.

The tip about using a slower card in slot 2 is useful if you want to keep the cost of cards down, but personally I'm using faster cards in both slots as sometimes I want to use the second slot for backup rather than just JPEGs particularly when shooting something important eg. pro job etc.

Associate

Agreed that it may make sense to wait for the Mk2. This first version sure is looking tempting already though, but cost will be a deciding factor. The starting lens line-up looks ok to me ... I would want something a little bit wider for landscape work, but for studio work I'm happy with what has been announced. A leaf shutter on the next iteration would be nice, too ...

Back
Top Bottom