Fuji X Series

Soldato
The speed ratings for some of these memory cards have got me a little confused because manufacturers don't use the same standards and some reviewers quite often confuse mega bits with mega bytes per second. Lexar , for example, use 2000x and 1000x and SanDisk will use 250mb/s. Trying to work out the best card to get to eliminate buffer issues on a cost basis is a bit of a pain. Does anybody have any decent recommendations for both professional and non professional use for the XT2?

Caporegime
The speed ratings for some of these memory cards have got me a little confused because manufacturers don't use the same standards and some reviewers quite often confuse mega bits with mega bytes per second. Lexar , for example, use 2000x and 1000x and SanDisk will use 250mb/s. Trying to work out the best card to get to eliminate buffer issues on a cost basis is a bit of a pain. Does anybody have any decent recommendations for both professional and non professional use for the XT2?

The Lexar 2000x write speeds are written on both the pack and the card itself and easy to find with a 2 second google.

Associate

Use Sandisk, and only ever Sandisk . If you want the best cards for the X-T2 to obtain maximum performance then purchase either the Sandisk Extreme Pro 280 MB/s or the 300 MB/s ( shortly to be released, and will replace the 280 MB/s cards ). If 4K video and fast action shooting isn't something you'll be doing a lot of then go with Sandisk Extreme Pro 90 MB/s cards .... they are a lot cheaper but still very good quality/performance.

Associate
PS: Considering you can get interest-free credit very easily in the UK, there isn't much reason not to go for it. If I had access to those deals I would buy a lot of stuff and just pay it off monthly.

Yeah I know, it's tempting, but I don't do credit any more. I shall watch you lot with interest and maybe save pennies for another day.

Caporegime
Use Sandisk, and only ever Sandisk . If you want the best cards for the X-T2 to obtain maximum performance then purchase either the Sandisk Extreme Pro 280 MB/s or the 300 MB/s ( shortly to be released, and will replace the 280 MB/s cards ). If 4K video and fast action shooting isn't something you'll be doing a lot of then go with Sandisk Extreme Pro 90 MB/s cards .... they are a lot cheaper but still very good quality/performance.

Sandisk are not the only decent brand. Lexar also have an excellent reputation and are generally faster than Sandisk. Both are reliable and used by professionals worldwide.

I have two Lexar 64GB 2000x cards and I can't wait to pop them in my X-T2.

Last edited:
Associate
Sandisk are not the only decent brand. Lexar also have an excellent reputation and are generally faster than Sandisk. Both are reliable and used by professionals worldwide.

I have two Lexar 64GB 2000x cards and I can't wait to pop them in my X-T2.

Some reports coming in of lock-ups with Lexar cards on the X-T2. Hopefully your cards work fine :)

Caporegime
Some reports coming in of lock-ups with Lexar cards on the X-T2. Hopefully your cards work fine :)

Links (please always provide those when making statements)? If it is this thread, then I would really need to see more details before assuming anything either way https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4054458

If it's happening in a specific slot with a specific card then it's an XT-2 specific bug that Fuji need to fix with firmware, and not the fault of the cards themselves. There were no reported problems in XPro2.

EDIT -Also. from another forum: http://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/xt2-freezing-several-tones-boost-mode.61713/

khingdheano said:
Just got mine today. After about 5 shots, locked up showing last image in EVF. I was not in burst mode. Using two Lexar 200x cards listed as compatible by Fuji. OEM Fuji battery in the camera, two Wasabi batteries in the grip. With grip removed and only the Fuji battery in the camera, same thing. Tried an older Sandisk card, same thing. Very annoying!

Seems like the X-T2 has a few firmware bugs that need ironing out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nope. Mostly F2.8-F4 lenses doesn't excite me. May as well stick with 35mm. If they release bigger F1.4 lenses, that would be interesting. As of now, I can only see this appealing to people who just need resolution.
Also, I'd wait for MKII version that'l likely have an x-trans with on sensor phase AF. Personally I feel this camera is Fuji's beta just to test the market and to get into the market early.

I don't think you understand what Medium format is:confused:

Soldato
Caved. Ordered an x-t2 + 23mm 1.4 for now. Depending on how I get on with it, I'll either return them or sell off my Nikon gear.

Nice, I look forward to seeing how you find the system. I was going to wait to pick up an X-T2 but then thought why not, but of course it's out of stock everywhere now! :D

Edit: When you get the camera we could possibly meet up and you can have a go with the 56, 90 and 50-140 if you want?

Last edited:
Soldato
What I think it is is irrelevant to the reality we live in.

As an example DP, according to you IBIS on FF E mount wasn't possible. Well lot's of things are not possible until someone actually does it.
I'm not looking at what medium format is now, I wondering what it can be down the road.
Right now i'm not interested. Others will be, and that's great. But as the system evolves and increasingly becomes more mainstream. It will begin to benefit from economies of scale which will further lower the cost of entry in turn increasing the momentum of it's development. Eventually it will develop into something more than what you seem to think it is in todays reality. When it beats 35mm in the areas I care about. Then I'll be interested. When others see MF beat 35mm in areas 'they' care about. Then they will be interested. And so the snowball will continue..

Caporegime
As an example DP, according to you IBIS on FF E mount wasn't possible.
I never once said that, i said it would make the camera bigger and heavier which is exactly what happened, so yet again I was right.

Well lot's of things are not possible until someone actually does it.
Go and do it then.

I'm not looking at what medium format is now, I wondering what it can be down the road.
Right now i'm not interested. Others will be, and that's great. But as the system evolves and increasingly becomes more mainstream. It will begin to benefit from economies of scale which will further lower the cost of entry in turn increasing the momentum of it's development. Eventually it will develop into something more than what you seem to think it is in todays reality. When it beats 35mm in the areas I care about. Then I'll be interested. When others see MF beat 35mm in areas 'they' care about. Then they will be interested. And so the snowball will continue..

MFD will definitely get cheaper but that still want mean they manufacture any f/1.4 lenses just like they wont manufacture a 2000mm lens for what other people might want.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
You will almost never ever see a medium format lens faster than f1.8 simply due to the lack of depth of field. My mamiya 80mm f1.9 is equivalent in terms of field of view and depth of field to a 50mm f1.2 on 35mm. This is primarily down to the larger circle of confusion on larger formats, hence why when you move up to large format, a f4 lens is considered very fast and f5.6 - f8 is the norm.

I'm also in the interested boat regard the GFX as I've been waiting patiently for phase one P series backs to fall in price sufficiently that I can afford one for my mamiya 645 AFD. Shame it isn't a true 645 sized sensor like the P65+ though.

Soldato
You will almost never ever see a medium format lens faster than f1.8 simply due to the lack of depth of field. My mamiya 80mm f1.9 is equivalent in terms of field of view and depth of field to a 50mm f1.2 on 35mm. This is primarily down to the larger circle of confusion on larger formats, hence why when you move up to large format, a f4 lens is considered very fast and f5.6 - f8 is the norm.

I'm also in the interested boat regard the GFX as I've been waiting patiently for phase one P series backs to fall in price sufficiently that I can afford one for my mamiya 645 AFD. Shame it isn't a true 645 sized sensor like the P65+ though.

The Fuji sensor is 1.25x larger horizontally than 35mm.
These F4 lenses are like F3.2 on 35mm. I certainly don't consider F3.2 fast. In fact you get a shallower DOF with Fuji's APSC cameras/lenses.

So as it stands, I only see this system appealing to people who need resolution at the moment. For the photographers who shoot FF at fast apertures (shallow DOF), this would be a downgrade.

Associate
The Fuji sensor is 1.25x larger horizontally than 35mm.
These F4 lenses are like F3.2 on 35mm. I certainly don't consider F3.2 fast. In fact you get a shallower DOF with Fuji's APSC cameras/lenses.

So as it stands, I only see this system appealing to people who need resolution at the moment. For the photographers who shoot FF at fast apertures (shallow DOF), this would be a downgrade.

Kei's talking about large format in the case of f/4, which is indeed very fast. There's even the Kodak 178mm Aero Ektar which is f/2.4, which is equivalent to f/0.8 in terms of DOF.

f/2.8 on medium format is shallow enough for most people, and the bigger format makes the DOF fall off differently, I always find that there's a much clearer delineation between sharp and out of focus as you move up formats. The higher acuity and the smoother bokeh you'll get will make things appear shallower than what an online DOF calculator will tell you. Check out Bryan Schutmaat's work or this photo essay on the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/09/17/opinion/Occupy-Wall-Street.html?_r=0

Both were shot on 4x5, probably with 150mm f/5.6 lenses which would equate to 50mm f/1.8 on 35mm. Still looks shallower than f1.8 because the bokeh is extremely smooth but where it's in focus it's super sharp. The NYT set probably has most shots around at f/8-f/11 as well. The same thing happens to a lesser degree with medium format, even with the 'cropped' 645 that the Fuji has.

Additionally a larger, squarer format also gives you more natural looking wide angle shots without as much rectilinear distortion compared to 35mm.

So no, this system (and by association digital MF) isn't just for resolution junkies.

Soldato
Is the Fuji sensor large format? No.
Is it even a real medium format? No.
So why are we even talking about these formats?

The new Fuji is a crop medium format, not much bigger than 35mm. In fact it's much less of a jump than APSC to 35mm.

It just doesn't compete with 35mm in any area other than resolution, or like you say, you prefer the different aspect ratio.

Regarding the pictures in the link, all this DOF fall off seems either bogus or just trivial that you can't actually notice. Someone could take those same pictures with an xpro2 and get the same result from what I can see.

Associate
Because those characteristics still apply to the Fuji, albeit to a lesser extent. Because 'fast' is relative to the format. Last sentence, second paragraph of my last post.

Anyway, I'm tired of this, I'm off to the darkroom to print some images I've shot over the Summer. A mix of various formats that I work with every day. There's definitely a difference, and considering you've never shot anything above 35mm I'll simply say you have no idea what you're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom