Fuji X Series

Caporegime
Cat I'm sorry but I have no idea what your point is, and to my eye you are literally just rambling based on your own assumptions. Lets just leave it there as I dislike wasting my time in pointless exchanges.

Soldato
I think you are getting yourself completely confused... I was not even initially comparing Fuji and Nikon crop sensors, only you did that, and I also do not expect any magic from a crop sensor at ISo 6400, what I said was the recent photo processing I did highlighted how big the difference was when I compared the Christmas photos directly year vs year.

You are reading way more into my post than I actually wrote, to a rather baffling degree. :)
Have you tried the new Fuji raw converter to see if that helps or makes a difference ? :)

Caporegime
Have you tried the new Fuji raw converter to see if that helps or makes a difference ? :)

Nope not yet mate, but even then I wouldn't expect significantly less noise. Having said that, I am starting to loathe Lightroom and the laggy performance even on my beast of a laptop, so I will soon be checking out alternatives like Capture One etc.

I do like my Fuji very much, it has provided a lot of joy and the balance of IQ and size is just perfect for many applications such as travel and street photography which I am a big fan of... but ultimately I don't think it fits all of my needs.

Maybe I'm a bit odd but I like working within the limitations of a camera.

Each to their own. :)

Associate
Anyone with an xt20? My xe2 is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm interested in something with better AF. Can't really justify when the cost of an Xt2 so would I be right in thinking the xt20 has the same AF performance? The difference is weather sealing, bigger EVF and dual memory slots right?

Associate
Anyone with an xt20? My xe2 is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm interested in something with better AF. Can't really justify when the cost of an Xt2 so would I be right in thinking the xt20 has the same AF performance? The difference is weather sealing, bigger EVF and dual memory slots right?
I got an X-T20 a few weeks ago and the main differences to the '2' are size, lack of ISO dial, weather sealing, single slot, AF joystick and EVF - worth reading this here.

I figured it was 85-90% the same as the X-T2, but much cheaper so that sold it for me.

Here's a few from my first 2 trips out with it..

Untitled by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Happy with the kit lens so far and planning to add the 35mm 1.4 and that should be me set for a while..

Associate
Hi all,

I had no idea there was a section for photography in these forums.... and even better, a section for FUJI X series!!! :D

I've been shooting with my trusty XT1 and XT2 for a few years and they have done we well! I have shot events, weddings, landscapes, sports and street. Never let me down.

I VLOG my landscape stuff here..... https://youtu.be/-9XeGP7YPMs So check it out if you're ever bored. And below is some images from my fuji kit!

I look forward to interacting with like minded people!!

Andy.

View attachment xtZy71x.jpg
e7oqdM4.jpg
CGrSXsZ.jpg
e6VefGW.jpg
p8q6y9f.jpg

Associate
I got an X-T20 a few weeks ago and the main differences to the '2' are size, lack of ISO dial, weather sealing, single slot, AF joystick and EVF - worth reading this here.

I figured it was 85-90% the same as the X-T2, but much cheaper so that sold it for me.

Here's a few from my first 2 trips out with it..

Happy with the kit lens so far and planning to add the 35mm 1.4 and that should be me set for a while..

Gorgeous images! Silky smooth long exposures :)

The Xt-20 is an amazing beast!

Caporegime
Well guys, I can't help it but I am falling out of love with the Fuji ecosystem. Not looking to start a debate here as everyone is entitled to their opinion and no doubt has different opinions and requirements to me, but these are my thoughts and reasons:

1. As much as the weight savings have been great, and image quality generally satisfactory with the crop sensor, I do really miss the fast lenses and creamy bokeh of my full-frame Nikon D750... not to mention the Sigma Art 35mm 1.4 which was simply the most magical lens I have ever used and the photos I have taken with it still shock me with how beautiful they are. I would consider a switch to Sony if their next generation A7R is as amazing as they look like they will be. Yes, it's a more expensive system with larger lenses, but image quality looks sublime and being able to use Canon lenses is very appealing. Not to mention the user interface seems to be improving dramatically.
  2. Fuji lenses are optically good but their line-up is technologically weak in places and needs modernising, the prime (pun unavoidable) examples being the 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2 which even at the time of release were not really competitive in terms of the slow and noisy autofocus motor and lack of weather sealing.
  3. I am disappointed as I feel that the X-T2 was not the best camera Fuji could have released. It lacks a touchscreen despite them touting it as a videographers dream, and has an unreasonably tiny buffer size for RAW, and there is simply no excuse for skimping out on those areas on what was supposed to be a cutting-edge camera, especially when they had the capability to implement them.
  4. Fuji made excuses of negative image quality effects for not developing and implementing IBIS, despite competition managing it, until they had to give in to pressure and announced the X-T2S, which looks like it is going to be the camera that the X-T2 should really have been, and while no-one would force me to upgrade of course I would buy the X-T2S for the improved features. However, it would be much quicker than I was expecting/hoping to upgrade my X-T2 as it doesn't even feel like I have had it so long due to all the shipping delays on release.
  5. The flash situation for Fuji has been a complete debaucle until only recently and even now there are a lack of third-party options such as from Yongnuo.
  6. While post processing options for Fuji have improved, I use Lightroom eclusively (and do not intend to change) and it does still exhibit slowness and some strange behaviour (such as artifacts) when processing Fuji X-Trans RAW files.
That is basically why I stopped investing further for the moment. It's a shame too as I really had best hopes when I switched but just am not satisfied overall with the system.

Well guys, I put my money where my mouth was yesterday, traded all my Fuji ear in and bought a Sony a7rIII as I really need the improved low light capabilities, and also IBIS and eye AF will be essential for me this Christmas. Fuji is a great system and is in some regards unbeatable for the size, cost and IQ but in the end I wasn't 100% satisfied with the ecosystem or the end results and that is all that matters. Cheers, it's been fun in this thread over the last year and merry christmas to everyone. :)

Last edited:
Associate

That's pretty much where my head is at, for what I use it for, I'm not sure I could justify the price of the Xt2. Although I'd love to have the joystick!

The 35mm 1.4 is a great lens. I use it almost exclusively on my xe2. The AF is pretty crap (sure it's better on the xt20) but with a bit of forethought about your shot, the IQ more than makes up for it.

Caporegime
I have considered the Sony cameras every now and then, but although the bodies are nice and compact, the lenses are huge (obv being FF), so the size issue kept coming up for me.

There are some nice and compact lenses, for example the 25mm f2 and 85mm 1.8 lenses are certainly not huge, I am very pleasantly surprised. Anyway, feel free to ask any questions in the Sony A7RIII thread so we don't take this one too far off topic from Fuji. :)

Soldato
Whoops! Linked to my wrong channel haha... here ya go!

https://youtu.be/__bJ8MHwYto

LOL yeah I found it, was just my way of pointing it out :)

Good luck with the channel, I'm going to do similar in the new year, in fact I'm in the planning stage now lol

I watched your vlog from the Brecon Beacons, I was there last week. I initially parked in the same car park but decided to move on to the 'cavers' car park just past it so I could follow the river.. I was hoping for some snow but there wasn't, it's only 1.5 hrs drive for me so I'll go back in the new year.

Associate
LOL yeah I found it, was just my way of pointing it out :)

Good luck with the channel, I'm going to do similar in the new year, in fact I'm in the planning stage now lol

I watched your vlog from the Brecon Beacons, I was there last week. I initially parked in the same car park but decided to move on to the 'cavers' car park just past it so I could follow the river.. I was hoping for some snow but there wasn't, it's only 1.5 hrs drive for me so I'll go back in the new year.

Ah that's unfortunate. It was beautiful with snow.... although it didn't settle down in the valley so made no difference. I was worried I'd be stranded in the car park though haha.

Have you got a link to your channel yet? I'll subscribe!

Soldato
Ah that's unfortunate. It was beautiful with snow.... although it didn't settle down in the valley so made no difference. I was worried I'd be stranded in the car park though haha.

Have you got a link to your channel yet? I'll subscribe!

That car park isn't too bad, the one I parked in would be a lot worse in the snow I think.

I have a youtube channel but doesn't have content yet, it will be my project to setup over Christmas :)

Back
Top Bottom