Fuji X Series

Soldato
Nothing much to get too excited about to be honest, having used IBIS with my other half's X-H1 I think that's a real missed opportunity as it is very effective and incredibly useful for the lenses without OIS.

Everything else looks to be incremental upgrades for the most part so I'll stick with my X-Pro2 for now. If the new sensor is a real step up or the AF is a big jump then I'd probably be tempted to upgrade when the X-Pro3 comes out.
Depending on performance there might be enough to keep XT2 users from going over to other systems until IBIS becomes a standard feature. However, It's hard to see where the XT system is going now the XH series has been thrown in to the mix and other manufacturers have started to take mirrorless more seriously.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depending on performance there might be enough to keep XT2 users from going over to other systems until IBIS becomes a standard feature. However, It's hard to see where the XT system is going now the XH series has been thrown in to the mix and other manufacturers have started to take mirrorless more seriously.

People are buying Fuji cameras for their decent image quality,sharp lenses,manual controls and even their retro looks. They will be fine - they are not the camera for gearheads who want everything including the kitchen sink thrown in.

Soldato
It's been argued the next few years will see the others offering everything Fuji does at the moment including the kitchen sink as standard. I love my Fuji for the most part but it's hard to predict what's coming next if its going to be hard to differentiate?

Maybe the next few years from Fuji will be incremental upgrades fought on price? I must admit up to 30FPS, with a new BSI sensor and better low light handling and focusing and touch screen, including an improved battery system, looks enticing if it costs less than the original XT2.

It's certainly an interesting time as there have recently surfaced rumours of a cut down A9 from Sony set to be revealed to compete alongside and against the XT3.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is no reason for an X-T1 and X-T2 user like myself to upgrade. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but that's like the new iphone updates, it's bit better but there's no real need.

I'm looking out for the Z6 reviews, as I may jump ship back to Nikon and FF......we'll see......

Soldato
There is no reason for an X-T1 and X-T2 user like myself to upgrade. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but that's like the new iphone updates, it's bit better but there's no real need.

I'm looking out for the Z6 reviews, as I may jump ship back to Nikon and FF......we'll see......

There's a pretty big difference between using an xt-1 and xt-2. The difference between 1 and 3 will be pretty pronounced I'd say. If you shoot lots of moving subjects, wildlife, people etc the difference will be huge.

Soldato
I will be trading in my X-T2 for one when available, quite impressed with what Fuji are offering. I didn't get the X-H1 as I just prefered the feel of the X-T2 so I'm more than happy it is not changed much, question is do I get the Silver one this time or another black :)

Soldato
I preordered the silver. I was reaching the point where I was going to go over to Sony but there's enough in this upgrade to keep me despite the lack of IBIS. The focusing is better and will continue to get better as the firmware improves and matures with two extra stops of light sensitivity to keep me happy.

I ordered the battery grip even though it' s not required to access all the functions on the camera. I may be mistaken about this but I'm not sure why the grip has the boost on it considering it is not a necessary requirement?

I'd previously seen a video with the boost button on the grip but there is a chance the reviewer was showing the XT2 version by mistake- so I don't know?

Last edited:
Soldato
I preordered the silver. I was reaching the point where I was going to go over to Sony but there's enough in this upgrade to keep me despite the lack of IBIS. The focusing is better and will continue to get better as the firmware improves and matures with two extra stops of light sensitivity to keep me happy.

I ordered the battery grip even though it' s not required to access all the functions on the camera. I may be mistaken about this but I'm not sure why the grip has the boost on it considering it is not a necessary requirement?

I'd previously seen a video with the boost button on the grip but there is a chance the reviewer was showing the XT2 version by mistake- so I don't know?

The evf is 100fps unlike the xt2 at 60fps which requires boost mode to hit 100fps. On the xt3 the boost mode via the grip does the following:

In Boost Mode, multiple batteries operate simultaneously to boost performance in continuous shooting up to 11fps, reducing shooting interval, shutter release time lag and blackout time, and extends UHD 4K video recording time to 29 minutes 59 seconds.

Associate
The evf is 100fps unlike the xt2 at 60fps which requires boost mode to hit 100fps. On the xt3 the boost mode via the grip does the following:

In Boost Mode, multiple batteries operate simultaneously to boost performance in continuous shooting up to 11fps, reducing shooting interval, shutter release time lag and blackout time, and extends UHD 4K video recording time to 29 minutes 59 seconds.

This information isn't entirely accurate. The X-T3 is capable of shooting in "boost" mode and doing 4K video with a recording time up to 29m 59s without the vertical battery grip. The "boost" switch simply allows the user access to the boost mode without having to dive into the menus for this option ( unlike on the X-T2 where using the vertical grip was the only way to get the "boost" mode ). Mechanical shutter FPS isn't increased by using the vertical grip ; I believe refresh rate of the EVF is improved with the vertical grip.

Basically, get the vertical grip if you want extended battery life and the ergonomics of using a grip for shooting in portrait orientation.

Soldato
Basically, get the vertical grip if you want extended battery life and the ergonomics of using a grip for shooting in portrait orientation.
I have a wedding to shoot in the next two months so I didn't want to walk around with six batteries in my pocket so the grip is a welcome requirement. This plus three to four more batteries in my pocket ;)

Associate
I have a wedding to shoot in the next two months so I didn't want to walk around with six batteries in my pocket so the grip is a welcome requirement. This plus three to four more batteries in my pocket ;)

You'll get approx. 1100-1200 images with an X-T3 and vertical grip attached ( with two batteries inside ) so having an extra 3-4 batteries on standby in addition to that should last the whole day comfortably in almost any circumstance !

Soldato
@xaldub I would think 1200 would be plenty for me :)
When do they actually send pre-orders for the XT3 out? I had a mail from Wex saying the kit I have ordered should be with them this week, confirmed by Fuji. I'm trying to ascertain whether they get sent out early to coincide and arrive with the general release date or actually send them out on the 20th?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just seen that Ffordes are offering £100 off the XT3 grip which Wex are not yet offering. Hope they'll price match? For anybody ordering, the offer is from the 6th of September up until the 31st of January.

Last edited:
Soldato
There appears to be some sort of an irregularity/controversy with regards to the price of the grip. I've got Wex querying it whilst Ffordes are now claiming that the £100 off only becomes applicable in October in conjunction with a reduction of £100 from the £200 bonus from Fuji. On the phone they stated there is probably some disclaimer to cater for this but there nothing on their website advert to indicate it? Apparently Castle Cameras are advertising the same offer according to comments being circulated on DPreview?
Ffordes advert in Amateur Photographer only lists 06/09-30/09 as being applicable in stark contrast to the October date they stated over the phone? The advert/offer is misleading.

http://www.ffordes.com

Last edited:
Soldato
Wasn't expecting it today so a nice surprise:

XT3.jpg

Soldato
I managed to receive mine today in silver. No grip though given the problems I am having.
I'll be taking it out along with my XT2 over the weekend to compare like for like at a local steampunk festival. Ken Wheeler is saying it has the fastest, most accurate autofocus of any camera he's ever used.

Caporegime
I managed to receive mine today in silver. No grip though given the problems I am having.
I'll be taking it out along with my XT2 over the weekend to compare like for like at a local steampunk festival. Ken Wheeler is saying it has the fastest, most accurate autofocus of any camera he's ever used.

Need a side by side comparison to the A9 or 1Dxm2 or D5...otherwise I'd take that comment with a massive pinch of salt.

Back
Top Bottom