Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon

Great episode again, powerful scenes. That walk to the throne was Epic, true strength right there given the circumstances.

Daemon supporting his brother at the end was a nice touch, as was his swift justice, that guy doesn't mess around. :)

Well this has at least stay consistent. Consistently boring. Can't believe the first season is almost over and F all has happened that I can remember. Typically I bet there's a huge ending to try and grab you for a second season.

I’m in the exact same boat as you. The constant jumping forward in time is doing my nut in.

The lad they’ve casts for Aemond who was young in the last episode is a fully grown man now, yet the others are/still look like kids.

Too many Aegons…

Well this has at least stay consistent. Consistently boring. Can't believe the first season is almost over and F all has happened that I can remember. Typically I bet there's a huge ending to try and grab you for a second season.

If it's anything like a game of thrones, the big huge shocks/endings tend to come in the episode before the season finale. So expect big things this Sunday!

I'm not sure what King was implying at the end there.
He's mistaken Alicent for Rhaenyra in his drugged up delirious state and was talking about Aegon The Conqueror / a song of ice and fire / the prince who was promised.

Alicent who doesnt know about Asoiaf thinks he means their son Aegon , who must be put on the throne to save humanity etc.

Last edited:
Have been enjoying it but admit to being a bit confused now.

The son with the eye patch was I thought, the no 2 son 6 years ago (i.e. the previous episode) what has happened to his older brother ?

The two dark haired lads didnt appear to be much younger than the son they took the eye from but 6 years later he is now much older and they are still kids eh ?

Just on that point - the ageing is all over the place. The king looks about a hundred years older than the first episode. His brother hasnt aged at all nor seemingly has the commander of the Kings Guard who was old in the first episode and is still the same - what 16 years later ? Infact a number of characters havent aged while others are now on their 2nd or even 3rd casting ??

Ser Harold (the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard) was long dead by this point in the books. So maybe they cast the character, then later decided to keep him around?

Aemond was 10 when he lost his eye, while Jacaerys and Lucerys were 6 and 5 respectively. But Rhaenyra's oldest sons were supposed to be quite large (and strong ;)) for their age, whereas Aemond was the opposite. They're now 19, 15, and 14, which looks about right to me.

The make-up team could have done better with Smith. Though in fairness, he's been on screens for 16 years now and barely looks any different to when he started. So maybe his apparent lack of aging isn't so ridiculous :p

Last edited:
Have been enjoying it but admit to being a bit confused now.

The son with the eye patch was I thought, the no 2 son 6 years ago (i.e. the previous episode) what has happened to his older brother ?

The two dark haired lads didnt appear to be much younger than the son they took the eye from but 6 years later he is now much older and they are still kids eh ?

Just on that point - the ageing is all over the place. The king looks about a hundred years older than the first episode. His brother hasnt aged at all nor seemingly has the commander of the Kings Guard who was old in the first episode and is still the same - what 16 years later ? Infact a number of characters havent aged while others are now on their 2nd or even 3rd casting ??

Yeh, the casting for the time jumps is really awful.

The guy they got to play 6 year older Aegon, A. looks barely older than the previous guy and B. Doesnt look remotely like the previous guy.

Casting director needs the sack.

Will watch this to the end, but I still think it is fairly boring. The script is as dull as ditch water, and I really don't care for any of the characters.

Found this article which hits the nail on the head for me:

"For all its gratuitous nudity, dragons and surprise beheadings, the real X factor for Game of Thrones was the dialogue. Conversations had a way of humanizing characters while dispensing necessary world-building details; they told each other stories that expressed their flaws and virtues, while providing the audience reasons to care if they live or die. Take episode four, season one, when a trembling Samwell Tarly meets Jon Snow at Castle Black. Naturally, they talk about girls. Jon tells Sam that he’s still a virgin because he fears fathering a child out of wedlock, simultaneously unpacking the baggage of being a ******* and explaining the meaning of Snow. “So you didn’t know where to put it?” Sam says. They laugh, and you believe these people care for each other. You want their friendship to succeed.

Four episodes into House of the Dragon, we’ve sped through nearly as many years, one war, and two Alicent Hightower pregnancies – yet we’ve just started to scratch the surface of our protagonists. Here, laughter is exceedingly rare, and everyone in the realm seems to be of a singular mind. All the highborn talk about is the throne, succession and threats to succession. This makes for extremely dry parties (Would it have killed any of the noblewomen in the hunting tent to crack a joke?) and even drier onscreen chemistry. From Ser Criston’s debut in episode one to his coupling in episode four, he and Rhaenyra have a total of one and half conversations, counting the one cut short by the boar. We learn a bit about his lineage, but does he have a personality? We may never find out."

"We may not have seen Lord Corlys in a while, but we’re told that he’s marrying his daughter to the Sealord of Braavos. This is a show built around absence – not only of Lord Corlys, but of laughter, texture or depth."

Last edited:
I don't really care for any one of them either, i neither hate or love any of the characters.

I guess One Eye Melfroy is going to be one of the villains with his brother so expect to see him to be nasty for a season or so before getting his comeuppance. This is a show now to watch for gore.
Yeah he look far worse than Joffrey Baratheon from original GOT we will se soon how bad its gonna be.

Amazing episode, fully justifying the time-skips IMO. They have set the board for the final episodes and the seasons to come brilliantly. Paddy Considine was immense, what a performance. Comparing this to amazon's utter bilge is like comparing water to wine.

If you watch an episode of this and then try and watch one of RoP it's so painful and and you wish yourself back in Westeros.

Last edited:
Will watch this to the end, but I still think it is fairly boring. The script is as dull as ditch water, and I really don't care for any of the characters.

Found this article which hits the nail on the head for me:

The Guardian? what do they know they thought RoP was amazing...

:cry:

Back
Top Bottom