Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon

Caporegime
Rhaenyra ending up with Daemon
Rhaenyra having ******* children
Alicent turning from princess's best friend and innocent daughter of the HotK to scheming queen
Criston Cole being raised from nothing to KG and Rhaenyra's protector and one off lover to then now mortal enemy
Otto Hightower appearing to be a good and honest HotK but evidently not
Alicent and Otto's relationship continually contorting right to the end
The role of house Velaryon as potential kingmakers, I never knew which way they were going to turn next - including Princess Rhaenys and her unique position
Aemond going from being the picked on unlucky child to most badass of that generation

Most of those weren't twists or turns. It was very obvious from the start/the moment the king seemed sweet on Alicent what was eventually going to happen (in terms of the main story).

Caporegime
Already thinking when I'll watch again. My interest and expectations were low to start so I think I'll get a lot from the first 3 or 4 episodes that I missed first time round, and the last 4 were so good I'll gladly watch them again.

May read fire and blood first before I do though.

If you found it average can you recommend any series you'd describe as excellent?

It got better but doesnt have any rewatch urge......yet. Whereas the original GoT I wanted to rewatch as soon as I finished the first season and happy to rewatch it now.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It got better but doesnt have any rewatch urge......yet. Whereas the original GoT I wanted to rewatch as soon as I finished the first season and happy to rewatch it now.

Oh I agree with that but I think very few things have that these days. GoT was groundbreaking at the time. We are used to it now. Even then I didn't rewatch GoT at any point.

The only stuff I tend to rewatch is comedies because they quite often get better with familiarity.

Anything that relies on twists, turns and telling a fresh story tends to suffer on rewatching. I also simply don't have time to do it these days.

Caporegime
Oh I agree with that but I think very few things have that these days. GoT was groundbreaking at the time. We are used to it now. Even then I didn't rewatch GoT at any point.

The only stuff I tend to rewatch is comedies because they quite often get better with familiarity.

Anything that relies on twists, turns and telling a fresh story tends to suffer on rewatching. I also simply don't have time to do it these days.

If its written well, even though you obviously know all the twists coming up, you look at actions, words spoken by characters in a total different light on second viewing as you know exactly what they are planning later.

If done well like GoT was, it makes it even more enjoyable the second time around.

fez

fez

Caporegime
If its written well, even though you obviously know all the twists coming up, you look at actions, words spoken by characters in a total different light on second viewing as you know exactly what they are planning later.

If done well like GoT was, it makes it even more enjoyable the second time around.

Oh I know plenty of people do it and some of the reasons, I just tend not to as I am time poor and there are loads of shows I still need to watch for the first time.

Don
I finished watching this last night, waiting for "the big finish" and expecting something to happen then realised at the mid way point of the final episode that they didn't have enough time to actually do anything. We had a large segment at the beginning of the episode with her miscarriage which actually felt meaningless, the pregnancy as a whole felt pointless.

At this stage, I don't actually care who sits on the iron throne - I favour no family over the other.

The performace by Paddy Considine was absolutely superb throughout the series though. He absolutely deserves some awards for those final performances of his.

Associate
I thought that HoTD was a great effort at expanding the GoT universe.

Granted, it was a bit slow to get going and I was very unsure about Matt Smiths participation but it turned out great.

When I read that S2 has a 2024 release date I was bummed about having to wait so long.

All they have to do now is keep with the story arc and not **** up the ending and it'll be A++.

Soldato

Fewer episodes and some of the plot for s2 is getting pushed back into s3

Last edited:
Soldato

Fewer episodes and some of the plot for s2 is getting pushed back into s3

Ah, the true George RR Martin experience.

Back
Top Bottom