Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon

Soldato
They should've just did it without making a big deal about it. Sure, some people would still cry about it but then it wouldn't give the impression that it's all about inclusion.

Still, inclusion shouldn't be viewed as some bad thing. Bad writing should always be called out though.
No ones saying inclusion is bad?
Whereas shows that don't and concentrate on telling a good story have all been great to watch, even ones with shock horror, minority characters and women leads.

Soldato
No ones saying inclusion is bad?
I didn't say you said that. However there are those, on this very form, who see anything such as inclusion as nothing else but 'wokeism'. Strong female character? Oh that's woke. An Ethnic character? Oh that's a woke diversity hire. Someone isn't straight? Insta-Woke.

Representation isn't a bad thing to have in tv/movies, especially if they're ones based in Fantasy-Land. If a story is well written it shouldn't matter what they people look like as long as they are interesting characters in a captivating story.

Soldato
You dont have much of a point. :D Those are all good shows with diverse casts. You dont get to arbitrarily decide if a show has been made in a woke manner or not to feed your fake culture wars.
Its not my problem that you are seemingly unable to grasp the most basic of differences between a show with a diverse cast and a show that makes the main focus of said show about having a diverse cast.

Soldato
I have no problems with diversity, as long as they are well written characters. But the problem is that as soon as they become more interested in ticking boxes, the writing goes out the window :(

One of the best characters in the original series was Tyrion (until they ran out of things for him to do near the end). And you can't get much more diverse than him.

Maybe this will be different and my suspicions are misplaced, but I seriously doubt it from what I have seen and heard so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bad writing is bad writing, those are legitimate criticisms. Diversity makes no difference to the quality of a show or its writing. Its just pointless raging to no effect from those who refuse to move with the times. Tiresome bigotry in thread after thread.

Forced diversity, race swapping, white man bad, mary-sue's, tokenism, smash the patriarchy, virtue signalling and woke politics all decrease the quality of a show. Irresepctive of how bad the original narrative is. And we see time and time and time again the poor story-telling stems of deciding the show is basically another vehichle for woke proagada with a marektable IP slapped on it, rather than simply entertaining people with an engaging story, you can pretend all you like that it's just "bad writing" but you're wrong.

People can see these shows for what they are, thinly-vieled propangada, just calling people "racist" as you are doing, and expecting people will be cowed into silence as they're scared of termed a a "bigot" isn't working. That tactic has no power any more. It is actually people like you who are behind the times and only have a surface level understanding of the subject, which lacks nuance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Forced diversity, race swapping, white man bad, mary-sue's, tokenism, smash the patriarchy, virtue signalling and woke politics all decrease the quality of a show. Irresepctive of how bad the original narrative is. And we see time and time and time again the poor story-telling stems of deciding the show is basically another vehichle for woke proagada with a marektable IP slapped on it.

People can see these shows for what they are thinly-vieled propangada, just calling people "racist" as you are doing, and expecting people will be cowed into silence as they're scared opf being cvalled racist isn't worrking any more. That tactic has no power any more. It is actually people like you who are behind the times...
Bang on the money with that.

You can have great strong female characters and great diverse characters. But they have to be believable and well written.

Too often they are there to just tick boxes and shove an agenda down your throat these days though.

It's cheap, it's lazy and it ruins a show.

Soldato
This is not the main focus, this is just what you decided is the main focus.
So why don't the show runners shut the **** up about it then? They way they carry on about it would be similar to an author writing a fantasy novel and then spend the prologue telling you why they've gone with a black queer transgender elf as the hero and then bring up the fact that they are black queer transgender ever chapter. It's fantasy, just tell a bloody story.

Soldato
Bang on the money with that.

You can have great strong female characters and great diverse characters. But they have to be believable and well written.

Too often they are there to just tick boxes and shove an agenda down your throat these days though.

It's cheap, it's lazy and it ruins a show.

The only shows/movies that get it right are the ones that haven't got an agenda to begin with. It's an amazing really that the actual racists and misandrists are the ones screaming about how diverse they are. Because the people who are making a "creative" entertainment product rather than a "propaganda" entertainment product, aren't concerning themselves with race/gender in a political way at all. That why thier shows/movies work, and all the woke tv is garbage.

:)

Soldato
It's not happening guys, it's made up.

Made up, just like the fantasy series that feels the need to mirror our societies issues, as if the writers can't come up with an alternative world with fantasy societal dynamics and issues.

Woke issues aren't made up, they are inserted into every bit of media (news, YouTube, tiktok, Netflix, Hollywood etc etc etc) and just because you are blind to it, or just do not care, doesn't mean they don't exist.

My take? I just don't take notice anymore either, but I won't defend it as a 'non issue'.

We are sliding down a helter-skelter of postmodern interpretations of our world, and who the **** knows what's at the bottom.

One thing I do know, it won't be quality media if this carries on. :(

Soldato
Majority of these "woke" issues are not issues at all, just in the minds of raging righties.

Then why are they brought up all the time by businesses, advertisers, media companies, celebrities etc if that aren't actually issues in the first place?

There are clearly societal issues around race, sex, gender, sexuality, nationality, religion blah blah blah as it's thrown in our faces at every turn, or do you deny this actually happens?

Or are you claiming all those issues are not actually issues at all and none of it exists? Well, that's quite a claim.

Back
Top Bottom