Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon

fez

fez

Caporegime
The one and only issue I have with it in movies and TV (especially fantasy and sci-fi) is that it breaks the immersion, as it immediately calls back to this reality we all occupy.

If I'm going down to Middle Earth or Westeros, I want to forget that Earth exists along with all of its problems, so better to keep it away tbh, or at least stop drawing attention to it ffs.

I struggle to know now whether I have just got so sick of the agenda that I see it everywhere even when it isn't there or if it really is as blunt a tool as it seems. There are still shows that have the wit and subtlety to deal with these issues well and to integrate people of different colours, abilities etc but so many it just feels forced.

As you say, it just breaks the immersion when you feel like whatever you are watching is basically looking into the camera and saying "we're making a point about modern societies shortcomings, aren't we so relevant". You are suddenly jolted back to reality and the show is lessened by it.

Soldato
I'm not looking forward to this the trailers have been really underwhelming.

You know what it is going to be, another Mary-Sue fest where virtually every caratcher with power or agency is either diverse fem or both, black elf will be amazing, all the male white carahcter with be evil, useless, or supporting cast at best, and we're going to ge a load of clumsy lecturing about modern "issues", so we're all now "educated"...not MIDDLE EARTH at all but 21st Real Earth, which is so awful all people want to do is escape from it for a few hours in their free-time, but no, that's not allowed anymore as when you get in from work it's time to for some more woke corpo brainwashing and "education".

Just read some of the qoutes in here from that fugly dwarf.

This always makes laugh as well when they claim:

Cynthia Addai-Robinson, who plays Miriel also stated, “This cast is truly global…everyone sort of has their frame of reference in terms of their culture, their heritage, what it means to them, their language.”

But it is not though is it? where are all the Asian people then? where are the Scandinavian's? people from South America?, people who are actually from Africa? where are all people from the Middle East?

It's absolute BS, all they want is the people that fit thier messaging, and then they're only the "right" POC from the West...

Total hypocrites.

Last edited:
Soldato
I struggle to know now whether I have just got so sick of the agenda that I see it everywhere even when it isn't there or if it really is as blunt a tool as it seems. There are still shows that have the wit and subtlety to deal with these issues well and to integrate people of different colours, abilities etc but so many it just feels forced.

As you say, it just breaks the immersion when you feel like whatever you are watching is basically looking into the camera and saying "we're making a point about modern societies shortcomings, aren't we so relevant". You are suddenly jolted back to reality and the show is lessened by it.

When it feels forced it is because it is forced, it is because the whole project starts from the messaging, everything else is secondary.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Cynthia Addai-Robinson, who plays Miriel also stated, “This cast is truly global…everyone sort of has their frame of reference in terms of their culture, their heritage, what it means to them, their language.”

It's absolute BS, all they want is the people that fit thier messaging, and then they're only the "right" POC from the West...

What I find so strange about this current zeitgeist in acting is that the literal job they are supposed to be doing is portraying someone they are not. Its not your message, its not your culture and its not your morals or sensibilities that are being portrayed, its the characters.

Thats the idea of books, films, tv etc. It should be transporting you to another reality. I shouldn't care if the actor is gay and playing a straight character, I shouldn't care if the trans character is trans in real life. Everyones experiences are different and the overriding tone should come from the writers and directors.

I know a lot of actors are arrogant ****** but dear lord they have taken it to a new level over the past few years. They used to be arrogant because they thought they were gods gift. Now they seem to think they are at the forefront of radical change in the world and the driving force fighting the forces of evil.

When it feels forced it is because it is forced, it is because the whole project starts from the messaging, everything else is secondary.

I don't think its quite that simple anymore. I think that because it has become so prominent and ham-fisted so often, even when its not, its hard not to jump immediately to that conclusion.

Soldato
I know a lot of actors are arrogant ****** but dear lord they have taken it to a new level over the past few years. They used to be arrogant because they thought they were gods gift. Now they seem to think they are at the forefront of radical change in the world and the driving force fighting the forces of evil
That's more to do with social media imo, before hand you had no real idea about an actor's view on issues outside of the odd magazine interview. Nowadays we've insight in their opinion on anything and everything, of course it doesn't help that for some reason they see themselves as the moral arbitrators of humanity. Even chat shows where they're there to promote a film is usually seeded with rubbish about the latest social or political hot take. Just shut the **** up and act, I don't care what you think about regarding xyz.

fez

fez

Caporegime
That's more to do with social media imo, before hand you had no real idea about an actor's view on issues outside of the odd magazine interview. Nowadays we've insight in their opinion on anything and everything, of course it doesn't help that for some reason they see themselves as the moral arbitrators of humanity. Even chat shows where they're there to promote a film is usually seeded with rubbish about the latest social or political hot take. Just shut the **** up and act, I don't care what you think about regarding xyz.

Yeah, I suppose when hundreds of thousands of people are hanging off your every word on twitter and instagram then you might just start to believe that your entirely privileged takes on the world are somehow insightful and worthwhile.

All this ******** about having a platform. The last people we should be listening to for advice on anything are celebrities who are usually famous for anything but their intellect or ability to function in the reality that most of us live.

Soldato
Soldato
Thats the idea of books, films, tv etc. It should be transporting you to another reality. I shouldn't care if the actor is gay and playing a straight character, I shouldn't care if the trans character is trans in real life. Everyones experiences are different and the overriding tone should come from the writers and directors.

I absolutely 100% agree with you here so this next bit is just a genuinely unthought-out random brain I'm about to send out, but what if the actual problem with "modern" audiences is.............."they lack the ability to use their imagination"?

Thinking about this logically, lots of people (but not all obviously) like myself who are 35+ will have grown up "pre-internet", "pre-Playstation", "pre-Mobiles" etc when they were children, so most of their playtime in the formative years (5y/o to 12y/o) needed friends and/or, more importantly an active imagination. Yet lots of today's 20-35y/o have had every electronic distraction available to them for over a decade now, which may potentially mean that they've not had to use their imagination anywhere near as a much, so effectively it may be stunted in comparison to older generations.

This may explain why the current common cry of "unless I see myself represented on the screen I can't enjoy a film/show" etc is so prevalent in younger people because lots (but not all) may lack the imagination required to be able to transport themselves into a character who is nothing like themselves, hence the need to "see themselves" on screen to empathise. So for example, I can watch the 1954 Japanese film "7 Samurai" and can empathise with the cast (good or bad) despite not being a 1500's Japanese Ronin, or I can empathise with Mahershala Ali as his character withstands horrific racism in 1950's USA with remarkable stoicism in the "Green Book" etc, because my imagination allows me to "put myself in someone elses shoes" and the better the writers, director and actors do their job, the easier it is for my imagination to "get" the message they're trying to pass on.

I literally just had that thought so it's probably not thought-out well enough to withstand scrutiny but it seemed plausible.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I literally just had that thought so it's probably not thought-out well enough to withstand scrutiny but it seemed plausible.

I think its a really complex topic and as I am white I have no reference point for anyone who isn't. I never really saw myself in film or TV when I was growing up because I never felt like I needed that aspect. I watched it for entertainment, escapism and fantasy. I never remember thinking "I like this because that person reminds me of me". I never watched shows with people from other ethnicities and couldn't empathise or relate to what they were going through any less because of the colour of their skin.

I know that black audiences in America certainly watched different shows to the white audiences but race in America is different to race in the UK. Perhaps thats another bone of contention. We consume so much media that was made in America, for Americans that we consume it differently.

If it helps someone to see people with the same colour skin on the TV or in films then thats great but perhaps part of the lesson should be to fixate less on race and stop telling people its so important. Who knows. As I said, complex topic.

Suspended
So the quotes were made up then?

No, but they have been completely cherry picked to offend the likes of you

Full article they nicked it from is here

George R R Martin liked what he had seen (9 of the 10 episodes)

Permabanned
I think its a really complex topic and as I am white I have no reference point for anyone who isn't. I never really saw myself in film or TV when I was growing up because I never felt like I needed that aspect. I watched it for entertainment, escapism and fantasy. I never remember thinking "I like this because that person reminds me of me". I never watched shows with people from other ethnicities and couldn't empathise or relate to what they were going through any less because of the colour of their skin.

I know that black audiences in America certainly watched different shows to the white audiences but race in America is different to race in the UK. Perhaps thats another bone of contention. We consume so much media that was made in America, for Americans that we consume it differently.

If it helps someone to see people with the same colour skin on the TV or in films then thats great but perhaps part of the lesson should be to fixate less on race and stop telling people its so important. Who knows. As I said, complex topic.

So you never pretended to be anyone out of a movie as a kid?

Soldato
No, but they have been completely cherry picked to offend the likes of you

Full article they nicked it from is here

George R R Martin liked what he had seen (9 of the 10 episodes)

Again, which invalidates the qoutes how?

George likes it? Of course he does, he's financially invested in it.

PS If you get all your news for access media fluff pieces then I'm not surprised you can't see the wood for the trees.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
So you never pretended to be anyone out of a movie as a kid?

Not really. I just played a lot of sports. Watched a lot of sci-fi and never felt like I could understand the white male characters any better than the alien ones though.

I just find the whole concept of being able to relate to someone largely based on the colour of their skin really odd. Thats the least defining and most boring trait of humans.

Caporegime
It's something we as mostly white males can't really relate to as Fez pointed out earlier. Nearly every hero I ever saw in any media growing up was white and mostly male.

Permabanned
Not really. I just played a lot of sports. Watched a lot of sci-fi and never felt like I could understand the white male characters any better than the alien ones though.

I just find the whole concept of being able to relate to someone largely based on the colour of their skin really odd. Thats the least defining and most boring trait of humans.

Right, so just not understanding then.

Soldato
Sometimes just seeing someone who looks like you somewhere is enough of a subconscious boon for you to want to try and get into something or feel like you belong.

Back
Top Bottom