Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon

Permabanned
Then why are they brought up all the time by businesses, advertisers, media companies, celebrities etc if that aren't actually issues in the first place?

There are clearly societal issues around race, sex, gender, sexuality, nationality, religion blah blah blah as it's thrown in our faces at every turn, or do you deny this actually happens?

Or are you claiming all those issues are not actually issues at all and none of it exists? Well, that's quite a claim.

In the context of whinging in every media thread, yes.

Soldato
In the context of whinging in every media thread, yes.

You are quite free to leave every thread with "whinging" in it, just as much as others are free to converse with you if you decide to remain in the thread. It's your choice to stay, it's your choice to leave - it's all up to you!

Banning the word woke from the English language would be a great start. :mad:

Banning a word because it hurts your feelings isn't a very mature, adult thing to suggest. Plus if you want to ban one word then you can have no argument when someone else bans a word you think is fine, leading to cyclical event of utter stupidity where anyone can ban any word.

Instead of wanting to ban it, how about you act like an adult and ignore the childish rage you feel when you see "that word" and just get on with your life, like most adults have to do.

Soldato
You are quite free to leave every thread with "whinging" in it, just as much as others are free to converse with you if you decide to remain in the thread. It's your choice to stay, it's your choice to leave - it's all up to you!

Banning a word because it hurts your feelings isn't a very mature, adult thing to suggest. Plus if you want to ban one word then you can have no argument when someone else bans a word you think is fine, leading to cyclical event of utter stupidity where anyone can ban any word.

Instead of wanting to ban it, how about you act like an adult and ignore the childish rage you feel when you see "that word" and just get on with your life, like most adults have to do.
I'm sure those who use the word woke quite often feel proud. I just let them got in with it in the main, but it gets rather repetitive and boring in media threads, hence my disdain.

Soldato
There is woke and there is woke, there is nothing actually wrong with being woke(going by the definition of it), its just when woke goes too far. In many cases its just an excuse to trash a thread. :cry:

I absolutely 100% agree with you there. I think the problem is highlighted in the last few words "it's just when woke goes too far", as no-one complains about - using your earlier example - Brooklyn 99, because that is "woke" done so well that the characters "feel" organic and real and so no-one cares about the diversity of the characters/cast because it feels real/normal.

What people are mostly complaining about is this "bad" woke section, and there has been such a high amount of badly written crap aimed towards the more progressive audience that now, just with the announcement of a "woke" TV show or film, you can already guess that the story/writing will be terrible and you would still have a 90%+ accuracy rate all because of the huge amount of "bad" woke writing out there.

Hollywood and TV have no-one but themselves to blame for continually allowing the worst writers to be given free reign to cause so much damage, so much in-fact that at times I wonder if it's being done on purpose 'just' to get a negative reaction, but that feels a little CT-ish for me.

Caporegime
There is woke and there is woke, there is nothing actually wrong with being woke(going by the definition of it), its just when woke goes too far. In many cases its just an excuse to trash a thread. :cry:
Woke is becoming the new token black man.

Everythings gotta have the woke vibes and rainbow unicorns.
Woke wash it or it's racist and bigotry

Soldato
The one and only issue I have with it in movies and TV (especially fantasy and sci-fi) is that it breaks the immersion, as it immediately calls back to this reality we all occupy.

If I'm going down to Middle Earth or Westeros, I want to forget that Earth exists along with all of its problems, so better to keep it away tbh, or at least stop drawing attention to it ffs.

Soldato
The trailer doesn't really sell it to me, looks like a reboot of the same story we've already been told

A key storyline in GoT starting in S1 was stopping a woman from getting on the throne. She had to overcome the patriarchy and general sexism and at least 1 assassination attempt, got sold, got raped, got pregnant, got over it, got an army, freed some slaves, got more army, helped Jon Snow on a sidequest to kill the blue guy, lost 99% of her army, ended up with a vastly larger army, went to get the iron throne, got that, got killed.

Now House of the Dragon is about... stopping a woman from getting on the throne.

Who's making the bingo card for this.

Soldato
A key storyline in GoT starting in S1 was stopping a woman from getting on the throne. She had to overcome the patriarchy and general sexism and at least 1 assassination attempt, got sold, got raped, got pregnant, got over it, got an army, freed some slaves, got more army, helped Jon Snow on a sidequest to kill the blue guy, lost 99% of her army, ended up with a vastly larger army, went to get the iron throne, got that, got killed.

Now House of the Dragon is about... stopping a woman from getting on the throne.

Who's making the bingo card for this.

Yep, we followed that story for 8 seasons and it never felt like propaganda because it was well-handled for the most part by people who were good at their job, not activists who have somehow wound up making TV shows.

fez

fez

Caporegime
How do I know if what I'm watching Is just rubbish and not woke rubbish?

We will tell you if you want :p

I think this is what people don't appreciate. TV isn't made for most of us. The fact that so much utter dross has people going mad over it (in a positive way) should tell you that plenty of people lap it up.

People watch Lover Island and Britains Got Talent. What do you expect?

Its hard to make good TV/films. Its much easier to make easily consumed shows.

Soldato
We will tell you if you want :p

I think this is what people don't appreciate. TV isn't made for most of us. The fact that so much utter dross has people going mad over it (in a positive way) should tell you that plenty of people lap it up.

People watch Lover Island and Britains Got Talent. What do you expect?

Its hard to make good TV/films. Its much easier to make easily consumed shows.
There's a big difference between **** reality tv and big budget tv like GoT - which became a bit of a cultural zeitgeist, a phenomenon (a bit like the walking dead in that regard). With the newer tv shows that have dropped recently (I'm looking at Wheel of Time here as that's been the latest big budget fantasy release) there's been nothing, no impact whatsoever, no one talked about it. It could be argued that whoever these shows are being made for its not resonating with them either. Time will tell whether this and the rings of power will have a similar impact to GoT or if they will be another WoT, my moneys on the latter though.

Caporegime
There's a big difference between **** reality tv and big budget tv like GoT - which became a bit of a cultural zeitgeist, a phenomenon (a bit like the walking dead in that regard). With the newer tv shows that have dropped recently (I'm looking at Wheel of Time here as that's been the latest big budget fantasy release) there's been nothing, no impact whatsoever, no one talked about it. It could be argued that whoever these shows are being made for its not resonating with them either. Time will tell whether this and the rings of power will have a similar impact to GoT or if they will be another WoT, my moneys on the latter though.

I'll gaurntee neither will become any thing like GOT, that gained serious momentuem and was actually good for a while. Your right though, I can't think of anything made recently that was decent and not just made for the masses rather than the telling of a good tale.

fez

fez

Caporegime

Oh I'm not comparing the two. My point is that making something **** that appeals to a mass audience is far easier than making something truly brilliant that does the same. If trying to make something brilliant has a 10% hit rate and churning out by the numbers trash has a 60% hit rate its a simple choice. You can see this with Marvel and you can see this with fantasy. Marvel are so big and popular that no matter how bad it is, it will do well from a commercial standpoint. Fantasy is just the current meta and all the big players are trying to jump on it without understanding it which is why they keep falling flat.

Its very frustrating because the first port of call whenever something like this is being done is well loved IP that isn't necessarily mainstream in the current generations eye and they just butcher it. They don't take the time to understand why it was good and why people loved it.

Soldato

Especially as "woke " was their word to begin with...

Funny how those who claim to the most diverse and inclusive and enlightened are the ones cancelling others opionion and wanting to ban words...

;)

Back
Top Bottom