Games that give you a headache?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The Bioshock 2 and Bioshock 1 engines always seem to give me a light headache after playing for an hour+ - it's strange, it's only in these 2 games and I play hour+ long sessions on various other games (TF2/L4D etc) without problem.

What is it with the Bioshock engine that does this!

FWIW I don't suffer any medical condition of any sort and this isn't a medical thread :p

*tin foil hat*

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
It's only in these 2 games heh, it's something to do with the engine, the way the mouse look moves, it's not as ...natural?...as any other FPS game!

Man of Honour
2 things do this... low FOV and bad mouselook code.

Unreal engine is especially bad for this as the mouse has a weird laggy/accelerated feel with very rigid linear movement and a lot of the games built on it tend to cap to 60-70degree FOVs.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I would like to change the FOV as it is far too zoomed in, I think this may be the cause of the problem in fact now that you've mentioned it!

Permabanned
what fps are you getting? i remember bioshock 1 with 60fps just not feeling completely smooth and it gave me a sickly feeling too, i completed the game out of it being brilliant but damm that engine sucked big time.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
60fps (vsync) - Vsync off is obviously higher but there is bad tearing in this game. It's the only FPS I need to play with vsync on, again, no other game has tearing either!

Edit*

Temp fix!

In your USER directory under AppData/Roaming find Bioshock2/user.ini and edit the numpad bindings to:

NumPad6=SetFOV 85
NumPad7=SetFOV 90
NumPad8=SetFOV 95
NumPad9=SetFOV 100

I find 100 looks nice and wide, just how I like it.

When you zoom the FOV resets (hence only a temp fix) so you need to press the button for your chosen FOV again.

85:
75.jpg

90:
85.jpg

95:
95.jpg

100:
100.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Being an alien in AvP3 on a eyefinity setup, its just horrible.
Yer most games seem to be locked at 60 FOV, not sure why developers don't add this like in recent valve games.

You should check widescreengaming forums for all the coorect FOV values.
Pretty sure its around 80-90 for 1680x1050.

Also some games have a user file and default file. I dont have bioshock so i cant test but usually if you change it in the default file, it obviously should stay like that.

Soldato
I was fine with bioshock 1 but bioshock 2, i dont know what it is but i find it difficult to stare at the screen for a long time.

Just started eve online again and wow the tiny text is crazy, yeah i know you can make it bigger but then theres the ui itself...

Associate
The game with the most claustrophobic FOV by far is Operation Flashpoint 2 - totally unplayable. I know AvP's is not great but I can handle it. Bioshock 2 is bad but like most games there is work-a-round..

Associate
Bioshock gave me a headache because while I was drawing 70fps+, the ragdolls are locked at below 30 and are very noticable, made me feel sick.

Back
Top Bottom