Garden rebuild.

Looks great, we’re in need of something similar as have a garden similar to this, although I have not the skills nor resources to do myself so will be having to pay someone to do it all.

It is not going to be cheap :(

Q: tye paving up to the brick - is there some form of drainage/damp course?
I’m thinking that having slabs up to the brick means the bricks will soak up water (a)soaks through and (b)freezing will fracture the bricks.

Looking top quality John.......

Ta, soon it should look better.

Looks great, we’re in need of something similar as have a garden similar to this, although I have not the skills nor resources to do myself so will be having to pay someone to do it all.

It is not going to be cheap :(

Yes I’m fortunate that I can do lots myself and have access to materials etc. I can see £100k+ here if I got in a landscaping firm and said “do this”

Q: tye paving up to the brick - is there some form of drainage/damp course?
I’m thinking that having slabs up to the brick means the bricks will soak up water (a)soaks through and (b)freezing will fracture the bricks.

I’ve got a drain round the patio. All slabs are below the damp course on the house.

No idea, enough :)

The ground underneath the soil is probably good enough to sustain growth but I needed to bring the levels up.
Thanks.
I only asked because in that last pic I quoted it looks like it might be clay (water not drained). We currently have a fair bit of clay in the garden and I’ve read to dig down 12 inches and cover with top soil. That’s a lot of top soil so was wondering if 12 inches on top of clay is really required.

Ahh, the ground here is weird. It's a sandstone mix and goes "glaggy" when wet but drains well. It's incredibly hard when bone dry but stuff grows in it easily. Go back to my overgrown posts earlier in the thread.

That was a deeply satisfying read. I'm hoping to build a couple of patios myself this year, and that will of course lead to me needing to put new turf down as well. I'm really looking forward to the process, although maybe it's just the idea of the process that I'm really into. But I will certainly be hiring a digger.

Small update. I bought some more thing for my border today, weeded and planted. Hopefully the grow.

Stuff:

Before:

After:

Oh, I'm building another shed. Hopefully done this month if I have the time:

Last edited:
Just found this thread. Stunning work. We paid a garden designer to work with us on our small garden and he then subcontracted the work. It was done on a small budget. But two year's since it was done. We are happy with it. Great reading and seeing your progress.

Back
Top Bottom