GE66 Raider

Soldato
My gpu score is pretty similar 10515 but cpu does seem to be quite a bit lower at 9039, wonder what could be causing that it is hitting 97c mind so could be throttling, I’m tempted to repaste the heat sinks but may wait a while before doing that

Associate
What exactly did you do in bios again as I notice in your screen shots voltage Id on right is 0.8. Ish mines 1.2?

Basically just enabled the setting for CPU that says "overclocking". You'll know if you've done it right as the setting in Throttlestop to unclock adjustable voltage will be toggleable, if you don't do it, it will be greyed out and you can't tick it. Think my CPU voltage is pretty low in those Throttlestop screens i posted as I was using the low temp profile at the time. When I enable the full power profile my CPU voltage goes up to 1.1-1.2V.

Voltage at 1.1447V with performance profile:

I7M7hG8.png

Voltage at 0.7946V with low temp profile enabled:

8ELGPgs.png

One thing I also did I haven't mention before is I disabled the dynamic boost setting in Nvidia Control Panel. I didn't like the way the cpu frequency jumped around so much with it on, plus even with dynamic boost off my GPU is using the full 130W anyway. That might account for the difference in CPU's scores in Timespy perhaps?

i6TnPho.png

Soldato
Just checked mine didn’t have speed shift - epp ticked have done now but now have also mine hadspeedstep ticked so have undone that it’s dropped to .8 now but fluctuates back 1.2

scratch that! That was in performance mode

Associate
Just checked mine didn’t have speed shift - epp ticked have done now but now have also mine hadspeedstep ticked so have undone that it’s dropped to .8 now but fluctuates back 1.2

scratch that! That was in performance mode

Think you've got it now? If you're still having issues feel free to upload some screens and I'll have a look.

And no I haven't updated my BIOS. At least I haven't done it manually.

You don't have to enable Intel XTU in the bios btw, that's just another tool so you can undervolt. I prefer to use Throttlestop myself.

Associate
Ive currently got a MSI and like the build quality. Is that the main benefit in spending a couple of hundred more on this, than a ASUS ROG equivalent?

I mean the MSI seems to be left behind in terms of CPU by having a Intel, so whats the price difference cover?

Im sat here waiting to spend, but I feel like im in a minefield and there is only one square I can stand in without blowing myself up :D

Associate
Ive currently got a MSI and like the build quality. Is that the main benefit in spending a couple of hundred more on this, than a ASUS ROG equivalent?

I mean the MSI seems to be left behind in terms of CPU by having a Intel, so whats the price difference cover?

Im sat here waiting to spend, but I feel like im in a minefield and there is only one square I can stand in without blowing myself up :D

I returned a just released ASUS G17 with a 3070 before getting my GE66 as it had buzzing speakers and the front RGB strip was non functional. In terms of build quality the GE66 feels superior in every way, not just because the ASUS had some faulty components, but the GE66 just has a much more solid feel to it and is constructed with better materials. You can see the difference in build quality when you compare the internals as well, the GE66 has obviously had more thought put into it. I've also found in my experience that the GE66 gets better framerates in games when you use the mux switch to bypass the Internal GPU and solely use the 3070. I also haven't found the Intel CPU a hindrance at all when running games.

Finally, not being able to turn off optimus on the ASUS can reduce your fps in many games, and drastically reduce it in esports titles. The fact the MSI has this mux switch makes it worth the price difference alone imo. There's quite a few videos on YouTube about this, here's a good one:

Associate
is that done in bios? I havent tried that

There an option in Dragon Center in the general settings tab called GPU switch, you just need to change that to discrete graphics and then you'll need to reboot. Simple as that. Unless you really need the battery life from using hybrid mode, there's no reason to not have it use discrete graphics all the time imo.

Soldato
I returned a just released ASUS G17 with a 3070 before getting my GE66 as it had buzzing speakers and the front RGB strip was non functional. In terms of build quality the GE66 feels superior in every way, not just because the ASUS had some faulty components, but the GE66 just has a much more solid feel to it and is constructed with better materials. You can see the difference in build quality when you compare the internals as well, the GE66 has obviously had more thought put into it. I've also found in my experience that the GE66 gets better framerates in games when you use the mux switch to bypass the Internal GPU and solely use the 3070. I also haven't found the Intel CPU a hindrance at all when running games.

Finally, not being able to turn off optimus on the ASUS can reduce your fps in many games, and drastically reduce it in esports titles. The fact the MSI has this mux switch makes it worth the price difference alone imo. There's quite a few videos on YouTube about this, here's a good one:

The Asus laptops benefit from Adaptive Sync though, and you can get the same benefit of a mux if you connect to an external display.

As far as I am aware, the MSI laptops are all FHD (1080P) and do not offer Adaptive Sync or GSync.

If you purchase the QHD 165Hz model of the Asus laptops, you only really need to be aiming to Max your displays refresh rate which you should achieve in esports titles with a 3070. Whether you can get 400fps with a mux but are already achieving 200fps without (still above the displays refresh rate) doesn’t seem like a big deal to me.

Back
Top Bottom