• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
The way I've seen some people reacting to this online is worrying and quite hilarious... a lot seem to think that the RTX card now indicates the gaming GTX cards will be Turing and only slightly less powerful than this, which is absurd. There's a reason they didn't mention Volta ONCE during that event, and I think it's obviously because the gaming GPU's will be using it. If they exclaimed how much faster Turing was than Volta (which they easily could have done), it would then look remarkably silly when they start saying how amazing Volta is next week at Gamescom, which is why they focused on Pascal instead... a really daft comparison when you think about it given it had none of the tech of the new RTX card... tensor cores, ray tracing etc. Volta would have been the obvious comparison, but they deliberately chose to ignore it.

Seems obvious to me now (as it has done all along) that we're getting Volta in the 11xx/20xx series. I think there's going to be some serious butthurt from some fans when they don't get Turing now though.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree Legend.

There is also the comment right at the start that nVidia were trying get things done within 1/30th of a second ... which that top end new card probably could do in a game environment, but i doubt it would be much more than that. How many serious gamers are going to want to only be pushing upto 30fps ... not many. As impressive as RTX is at the moment, I cant see its realistic application in real time gaming at the moment for mass market stuff. Content creation? Absolutely amazing.

Soldato
Just had a thought, if these new Turing cards are not available until Q4 when will the gaming cards arrive?

The gaming cards won't be Turing, they will be Volta. The new cards will be here soon, they'll already be manufacturing them.

Basically everyone needs to put this RTX card out of their minds. It is not for us and the tech on display within it won't be seen in gaming GPUs for some time. It is a $10K card after all!!

Soldato
The gaming cards won't be Turing, they will be Volta. The new cards will be here soon, they'll already be manufacturing them.

Basically everyone needs to put this RTX card out of their minds. It is not for us and the tech on display within it won't be seen in gaming GPUs for some time. It is a $10K card after all!!

So what about the RTX Titan Rumoured to be $3000? what you say makes sense from both a marketing and economics point of view.

Soldato
Hopefully Nvidia have actually sorted out DX12 on these cards so we can start to see some proper strides being made by Devs.

As far as I'm concerned this is the reason why DX12 traction hasn't happened yet. I.e the biggest player in the market has said with its hardware now is not the time.

Amen to this. The lack of support of DX12 and hardware async compute (that works on Vulkan also) from the Nvidia hardware is kinda ridiculous.
These things are out 5 years now, AMD supports it since the R9 290! Yet here we are in 2018.

So what about the RTX Titan Rumoured to be $3000?

Probably that could be correct if it comes close to the cheapest Quadro.
But kinda pointless if there is next gen in 2019. Until we see games with it is probably marketing gimmick. And we will see games using it well after 2020.

True, the next Metro game comes with it, but is only very limited Ray Tracing to some parts.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Could right. I am not too bothered, as I know there are no Ray Tracing games on the horizon and I will have had another 2-3 new cards by the time there are any. The main thing I am concerned about is price for performance. If we can get close to 1080Ti performance in a 2070 which runs more efficiently I will be happy. Just fancy something new, hopefully they don’t take the urine too much with the pricing.

Soldato
I don't see the point of pushing ray tracing on or at gamers without the games using it being on the horizon too, price to perf is where it's at for me :D

Caporegime
Hopefully Nvidia have actually sorted out DX12 on these cards so we can start to see some proper strides being made by Devs.

As far as I'm concerned this is the reason why DX12 traction hasn't happened yet. I.e the biggest player in the market has said with its hardware now is not the time.

Ive been saying it for ages, we won't get Dx12 until Nvidia give it to us.

bru

bru

Soldato
I don't see the point of pushing ray tracing on or at gamers without the games using it being on the horizon too, price to perf is where it's at for me :D

On the price front we all agree, but on the pushing new tech front, then somebody has to do it first, else as has been said we would still be playing CGA 2D sprite based games.

Man of Honour

Volta already has Ray Tracing, NVidia used the Tesla GV100 to demonstrate it.

All I think Turing is going to be is Volta by another name.

I don't think we will see gaming cards until Q4 at the earliest either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Volta already has Ray Tracing, NVidia used the Tesla GV100 to demonstrate it.

All I think Turing is going to be is Volta by another name.

I don't think we will see gaming cards until Q4 at the earliest either.

True, Volta does have it, but what's the point in even including that on a GPU at this stage? Other than it being a very clever marketing ploy and means by which Nvidia can whack on a 'ray tracing' tax to every GPU they sell lol!

Not sure, I think it will be sooner than that, September maybe... but supply will be thin.

Man of Honour
True, Volta does have it, but what's the point in even including that on a GPU at this stage? Other than it being a very clever marketing ploy and means by which Nvidia can whack on a 'ray tracing' tax to every GPU they sell lol!

Not sure, I think it will be sooner than that, September maybe... but supply will be thin.

I don't think Volta or Turing for that matter were designed to do Ray Tracing in particular, it is just something the hardware can do along with the professional work these cards are for.

Back
Top Bottom