• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

bJN

bJN

Soldato
yeah cos ray tracing is a joke and a gimmik.
21aqbc.jpg

Whilst this is the first real commercial implementation of ray tracing, for what it achieves the performance is actually impressive, and is needed to drive innovation and development in industry...

HRL

HRL

Soldato
As OCUK don’t stock the Seahawk X I had it in my basket elsewhere, went shopping for a new PSU, went back to my basket and it had gone up £100.

Not just OCUK with the gouging. Stock levels are still crap across the board on all but a few cards.

Had made my mind up on which one to buy last night but now I’ll just wait until they’re in stock everywhere.

Soldato
As OCUK don’t stock the Seahawk X I had it in my basket elsewhere, went shopping for a new PSU, went back to my basket and it had gone up £100.

Not just OCUK with the gouging. Stock levels are still crap across the board on all but a few cards.

Had made my mind up on which one to buy last night but now I’ll just wait until they’re in stock everywhere.

We are kind of at the mercy of the retailer you pre ordered at sending out your pre order in a timely fashion to get it at a "reasonable" price. For example if you just wanted any card but ordered a MSI gaming X trio from one place you're now waiting until the end of November. If you ordered somewhere else you will be receiving your order today (as they had it on demand order yesterday at a ridiculous price). Then if you want to swap to something else you're looking between £1250-1400 for something inferior. The gouging has really punished people who pre ordered but had their order delayed massively.

Associate
We are kind of at the mercy of the retailer you pre ordered at sending out your pre order in a timely fashion to get it at a "reasonable" price. For example if you just wanted any card but ordered a MSI gaming X trio from one place you're now waiting until the end of November. If you ordered somewhere else you will be receiving your order today (as they had it on demand order yesterday at a ridiculous price). Then if you want to swap to something else you're looking between £1250-1400 for something inferior. The gouging has really punished people who pre ordered but had their order delayed massively.

You mean they got a few in and sold them for loads? Maybe that November place already sent out a load of pre-orders and can't get more till then. Hoping OKUK get the Ti Trio in soon! Haven't heard anything about stock here recently, other than they are looking to get stock in over the next few weeks.

Caporegime
Stock is certainly poor and the retailers have every right to goug but doesn't help the gamers. NVidia have said that yields are poor for 12nm and this is evident with the amount of stock. A poor release really and a shame to see.

Soldato

I cancelled my FE order once the reviews were out and saw what a ball ache it would be to water cool (and Nvidia's EU partner don't allow cooler removal), I then ordered a MSI Duke at release day prices but saw the date keep getting pushed back while the retailer already had my money... so cancelled again as I'd rather order from somewhere at "normal" non gougey price but also they don't take payment until they ship so at this point I'm happy to wait and get good service at the right price than have someone either try to gouge me or sit on my money for a couple of months without giving me anything in return.

Soldato
I cancelled my FE order once the reviews were out and saw what a ball ache it would be to water cool (and Nvidia's EU partner don't allow cooler removal), I then ordered a MSI Duke at release day prices but saw the date keep getting pushed back while the retailer already had my money... so cancelled again as I'd rather order from somewhere at "normal" non gougey price but also they don't take payment until they ship so at this point I'm happy to wait and get good service at the right price than have someone either try to gouge me or sit on my money for a couple of months without giving me anything in return.

There's the EVGA XC and XC Ultra for £1150 and £1200 (cheapest these cards ever have been I think) with pre-order dates of the end of the month from that company that has a video app on most smart tvs but also dabbles in a bit of online retailing. I've got the XC Ultra on order for end of the month and my cash won't get taken until dispatch as well as somewhere else who has taken my £1250 cash with an ETA of 15th. I've also got the Gigabyte Gaming OC (quite tempted as it has the 2nd highest known power limit of all cards after the FTW3 Ultra) on order at £1100 (again my cash won't be taken until dispatch) but it is showing out of stock with no date.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Or you could have just ordered the very nice Founder's Edition and got it on time for a lot less money...

Made the mistake of waiting for the reviews first. Have been checking the Nvidia store ever since but it’s been perpetually out of stock and no option of getting in the queue for one sadly.

Now I’ll just wait until I can either order a FE Ti or grab an AIB at RRP, not pre-order madness prices.

It’s a shame but hey-ho.

Soldato

My only comment tho would be that the 2000 series arriving 'late' shouldn't necessarily be seen as an issue.

It did after all make the 1000 series last longer adding value for 1000 series owners. So in away being 'late' is actually a positive.

Current owners didn't find their cards out dated so soon and actually instead they where current gen for longer.

---

And although there is indeed much to say about the price his comparisons are not exactly accurate as he is considering only rasterization. If he did the same price to performance ratio calculations for Ray tracing for example his conclusions would probably look very different.

This gen Nvidia didn't beef up rasterization but instead added in the ray tracing cores to the cards this is where the improvements have gone.

---

I'm not defending the price but just putting this in to the correct perspective.

Last edited:
Soldato
This gen Nvidia didn't beef up rasterization but instead added in the ray tracing cores to the cards this is where the improvements have gone.

---

I'm not defending the price but just putting this in to the correct perspective.

Tough to put it in perspective using Ray Tracing as the reason when there's no software available to test it on, no? I know that's a "right now" sort of gripe, but people can only base value on performance they can see / test.

I am curious though, a quick google search didn't give me anything useful -- anyone know when RTX features will have any use? The DLSS and Ray Tracing specifically? Are they currently enabled :?

Caporegime
Tough to put it in perspective using Ray Tracing as the reason when there's no software available to test it on, no? I know that's a "right now" sort of gripe, but people can only base value on performance they can see / test.

I am curious though, a quick google search didn't give me anything useful -- anyone know when RTX features will have any use? The DLSS and Ray Tracing specifically? Are they currently enabled :?

They are currently enabled after a recent window update. First games should be along in the next week.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
They are currently enabled after a recent window update. First games should be along in the next week.

Sadly that’s the 1809 Windows 10 update that MS have since pulled. Not sure when it will be re-released but I installed it without any problems.

Now if only I could get hold of a FE Ti to test it with!

Caporegime
Sadly that’s the 1809 Windows 10 update that MS have since pulled. Not sure when it will be re-released but I installed it without any problems.

Now if only I could get hold of a FE Ti to test it with!

Didn't know that but I assume this will be resolved in a matter of weeks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom