• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

HRL

HRL

Soldato
What’s the point in developing the tech and then not profiting out of it?

There’s no point sitting on it until AMD are competitive as then Nvidia will want something better anyway.

Of course they’re going to release them, it’s just a case of how soon. Guess they’re in a lucky situation where they can produce as many as they need for a launch that isn’t just on paper.

Caporegime
What’s the point in developing the tech and then not profiting out of it?

There’s no point sitting on it until AMD are competitive as then Nvidia will want something better anyway.

Of course they’re going to release them, it’s just a case of how soon. Guess they’re in a lucky situation where they can produce as many as they need for a launch that isn’t just on paper.

Nvidia drip feed...of course they sit on technology....Intel were not going to release 6core 8700k until 2019... then Ryzen hit and the 8700k was released early and cheap.

Associate
I understand why the iPhone gets a new model every September as the Samsung s10 is looming etc...(direct competition)

But why would NV release a new card ? When there is no competition?
They shouldn't have even given a hint that new cards were on their way, then. Because everyone in the know is waiting on them now. Even if they didn't give a hint, the expectation is that something new is coming after 2 ruddy years.

Soldato
Because they will make more money. And do so before there is competition.

It's called Business. :D
Why would they make more money? As has been said countless times, their current cards are still selling like hot cakes. If they see a decline and deem it more profitable to switch to a new architecture, they will do so.

bru

bru

Soldato
Why would they make more money? As has been said countless times, their current cards are still selling like hot cakes. If they see a decline and deem it more profitable to switch to a new architecture, they will do so.
Yup and if the replacement is fast enough even those who have just bought a new card will buy again and anyone like myself who is still sitting on the fence waiting before buying (not buying Pascal now) will spend their cash, hence NVidia making more money.:)

Associate
I understand why the iPhone gets a new model every September as the Samsung s10 is looming etc...(direct competition)

But why would NV release a new card ? When there is no competition?
Well I've had my 1070 since launch and I'm eager to upgrade, that's a pretty common scenario. They'll get sales from people who just want to upgrade, regardless of competition.

Caporegime
Almost as much as an AMD 480>580 rebrand :p

Both companies are guilty of it...

Oops forgot to multi quote...apologies :o

Well I've had my 1070 since launch and I'm eager to upgrade, that's a pretty common scenario. They'll get sales from people who just want to upgrade, regardless of competition.

You can upgrade...:confused: 1080, 1080ti :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I just want AMD to release something that is better than the 1080ti within the next 6 months, it'd be nice to have Freesync!
Don't see it happening. This is one of the reasons I went to the dark side and went G-Sync as I think it will take quite a few years for AMD to get competitive in the top end. I am hoping to jump ship again in 2020/2021 if they have a 4K OLED HDR 120Hz Freesync 2 monitor out that is reasonably priced, relatively speaking. AMD should have something that can drive the games of that time period at 60fps I hope.

Soldato
Yeah I could see this tbh...I very much doubt we will see brand new architecture

Depends what you mean by new architecture. Volta (as I strongly suspect the 11-series will be based off) isn't 'new'... it's been around quite a while now in the pro cards, so for Nvidia to repurpose it for the 11-series isn't actually that big a deal for them. Anyone expecting 1180 to be anything more than this is dreaming though. It certainly won't be Turing. On the other hand, I don't see it being a Pascal refresh either... that just makes no sense to me and would be a counterproductive move given the backlash they'd receive.

I see the argument that Nvidia don't NEED to release a new card with the 10-series still selling strong and no competition, but sales have tapered off and there is MASSIVE interest in what they have coming next. Let's also not forget that the gap between GPU releases here is rather unprecedented for them, so a lot of people are chomping at the bit to get something new. Nvidia will be well aware of this, so they don't need to worry about new cards flying off the shelves... which they absolutely will!

If these cards are Volta based, I would predict the 1180 could offer 40% and perhaps even up to 50% improvement over the 1080 in certain DX12 & Vulkan titles (less in anything else), and 10-20% over the 1080Ti... with less power draw. The only question is what they will price it at... but we all know (and so do Nvidia) that people will pay regardless! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Some people debating how hard this is to fake and such, can I just point out how insanely easy it is to change a webpage using Chrome Dev Tools. Anyone can do this after following 2 minutes worth of instructions, and anybody that does web development will know how to do this off by heart in seconds.

Just take a look. Not sure why the cursor is out of place, video recording went wrong I guess..

https://youtu.be/Cj6armiYwCY

Soldato
Don't see it happening. This is one of the reasons I went to the dark side and went G-Sync as I think it will take quite a few years for AMD to get competitive in the top end. I am hoping to jump ship again in 2020/2021 if they have a 4K OLED HDR 120Hz Freesync 2 monitor out that is reasonably priced, relatively speaking. AMD should have something that can drive the games of that time period at 60fps I hope.
Yeah I'm fairly screwed, wish I got a G-sync because for over the last 2 and a bit years I've had no adaptive sync, thankfully I always keep my FPS over 60 so it's not too bad, but it'd be nicer with some sync!

Soldato

Why they will be a Gsync OLED monitor? hahahhahahahaa

Forget OLED. Already LG has issues with burned products sold just last year. That will never be resolved.
True you might get a Freesync 2 OLED TV when LG puts HDMI2.1 on their products. But I wouldn't touch OLED for monitor. QLED, NanoIPS etc yes.

Actually Samsung has FS2 4K HDR1000 120hz 32" monitor coming out this quarter. If it has HDMI 2.1 then it will be perfect.
If not it will be the same useless crap we got from Gsync HDR monitors. Because they are all limited to 4:2:2 above 90hz which is pretty bad. And yes watching videos at 4:2:2 might not be that obvious, computer games are.

Back
Top Bottom