• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why they will be a Gsync OLED monitor? hahahhahahahaa

Forget OLED. Already LG has issues with burned products sold just last year. That will never be resolved.
True you might get a Freesync 2 OLED TV when LG puts HDMI2.1 on their products. But I wouldn't touch OLED for monitor. QLED, NanoIPS etc yes.

Actually Samsung has FS2 4K HDR1000 120hz 32" monitor coming out this quarter. If it has HDMI 2.1 then it will be perfect.
If not it will be the same useless crap we got from Gsync HDR monitors. Because they are all limited to 4:2:2 above 90hz which is pretty bad. And yes watching videos at 4:2:2 might not be that obvious, computer games are.
Lol. Well I like to spread the love and swing both ways and all that :p

Really hope they can solve the OLED issue by then. Dell managed to get one out last year, was it those that had burn in issues?

Trouble with the Samsung monitor you mention is AMD won’t have a card to drive the thing until 2019 at the earliest. Will see how the market is like, what monitors are available and competitive AMD are around 2020 and decide if I want to upgrade. Not to sure about this QLED and Nano IPS tech though, the latter maybe good, will have to wait and see.

Soldato
Why would they make more money? As has been said countless times, their current cards are still selling like hot cakes. If they see a decline and deem it more profitable to switch to a new architecture, they will do so.

People who own 10xx and 9xx will most likely upgrade which is a lot of people...

Soldato
Why they will be a Gsync OLED monitor? hahahhahahahaa

Forget OLED. Already LG has issues with burned products sold just last year. That will never be resolved.
True you might get a Freesync 2 OLED TV when LG puts HDMI2.1 on their products. But I wouldn't touch OLED for monitor. QLED, NanoIPS etc yes.

Actually Samsung has FS2 4K HDR1000 120hz 32" monitor coming out this quarter. If it has HDMI 2.1 then it will be perfect.
If not it will be the same useless crap we got from Gsync HDR monitors. Because they are all limited to 4:2:2 above 90hz which is pretty bad. And yes watching videos at 4:2:2 might not be that obvious, computer games are.

Alienware did an OLED laptop which had no burn in complaints.

I feel like LG's anti burn-in protection is actually very very lazy.

Soldato
Alienware did an OLED laptop which had no burn in complaints.

I feel like LG's anti burn-in protection is actually very very lazy.

Correct. I bought my partner one of these for Christmas 2016, it's used daily and we've never had any issues at all with the screen. It has been fantastic, even though she sometimes leaves it on with static content.

I also know people who work with screens using JOLED panels, which are currently 21.5" and used for medical and scientific applications primarily. They've had no issues either. JOLED will expand production during 2020, all going well, to include a range of useful monitor sizes. And for those unfamiliar, JOLED was formed from a joint venture between Panasonic and Sony's OLED divisions.

Caporegime
Had my LG OLED 2017 TV since November and not a single sign of permanent burn in let alone even temporary image retention.

By far and away the best purchase I have ever made for my PC. No other display comes anywhere close to the IQ it provides :cool: No sync tech. is a bummer but I find I don't really "need" it, the choice of 120HZ, 4k, HDR etc. etc. does me nicely :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Correct. I bought my partner one of these for Christmas 2016, it's used daily and we've never had any issues at all with the screen. It has been fantastic, even though she sometimes leaves it on with static content.

I also know people who work with screens using JOLED panels, which are currently 21.5" and used for medical and scientific applications primarily. They've had no issues either. JOLED will expand production during 2020, all going well, to include a range of useful monitor sizes. And for those unfamiliar, JOLED was formed from a joint venture between Panasonic and Sony's OLED divisions.

Had my LG OLED 2017 TV since November and not a single sign of permanent burn in let alone even temporary image retention.

By far and away the best purchase I have ever made for my PC. No other display comes anywhere close to the IQ it provides :cool: No sync tech. is a bummer but I find I don't really "need" it, the choice of 120HZ, 4k, HDR etc. etc. does me nicely :D
If this is the case once again I cannot see why they would not come to monitors soon. I have a plasma tv which hooks up to my pc which we mainly use for watching tv and movies, but it stays on the desktop sometimes, there is a slight image burn in, but it goes away very fast when you move to something different and has never bothered me. OLED seems to have less burn in than what I am used to now, so it would not bother me. I just want the better IQ. Just need it to be in the form of a gaming monitor at 27” and I will buy :D

Soldato
Really hope they can solve the OLED issue by then. Dell managed to get one out last year, was it those that had burn in issues?

Trouble with the Samsung monitor you mention is AMD won’t have a card to drive the thing until 2019 at the earliest. Will see how the market is like, what monitors are available and competitive AMD are around 2020 and decide if I want to upgrade. Not to sure about this QLED and Nano IPS tech though, the latter maybe good, will have to wait and see.

OLED won't resolve it, not entirely... the issues it has are largely inherent to the technology. The tech has been around over 30 years and they still haven't fixed it. What's more likely is that it will simply die a death when Micro LED arrives on the scene. QLED is good but essentially only a step removed from LED. However, Samsung are working on an emissive version, where each sub-pixel in the display will provides its own light rather than relying on the backlight. If they crack this, it will be a big step forward and more of an OLED rival in terms of image vibrancy and depth.

However, Micro LED is really where it's at. Micro LED combines the LCD layer and LED backlight, so that when you’re looking at a pixel, you’re actually looking at a cluster of three LEDs that are producing each pinprick of detail (each LED is less than 100 micrometres in size). Because the light is being generated directly by the pixels themselves, they’re actually able to turn off entirely to create a so-called 'perfect' black (like OLED). Another big advantage is that it's modular, and Micro LED screens can be made up of a number of smaller panels, and then attached together to form a bigger screen. This is obviously unlike traditional TVs/monitors that have to be made a bespoke size that can’t be altered. The advantages and cost saving benefits to this are huge.

Obviously it's going to be years before we see affordable Micro LED products, but as and when we do, it will put OLED in the ground if it isn't already by then.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OLED won't resolve it, not entirely... the issues it has are largely inherent to the technology. The tech has been around over 30 years and they still haven't fixed it. What's more likely is that it will simply die a death when Micro LED arrives on the scene. QLED is good but essentially only a step removed from LED. However, Samsung are working an emissive version, where each sub-pixel in the display will provides its own light rather than relying on the backlight. If they crack this, it will be a big step forward and more of an OLED rival in terms of image vibrancy and depth.

However, Micro LED is really where it's at. Micro LED combines the LCD layer and LED backlight, so that when you’re looking at a pixel, you’re actually looking at a cluster of three LEDs that are producing each pinprick of detail (each LED is less than 100 micrometres in size). Because the light is being generated directly by the pixels themselves, they’re actually able to turn off entirely to create a so-called 'perfect' black (like OLED). Another big advantage is that it's modular, and Micro LED screens can be made up of a number of smaller panels, and then attached together to form a bigger screen. This is obviously unlike traditional TVs/monitors that have to be made a bespoke size that can’t be altered.

Obviously it's going to be years before we see affordable Micro LED products, but as and when we do, it will put OLED in the ground if it isn't already by then.
To be honest though I would be happy with the current OLED's, just in the form of a gaming monitor. If the Alienware OLED display is doing fine for 18 months and the Dell, then how bad can it be?

As you said Micro LED is far away, OLED is here today and everyone is enjoying it. I typically replace my monitor every 3 years, so I can always get OLED then sell it and upgrade to Micro LED monitor if and when it comes out if it is noticeably better.

Not in a huge rush anyway, I am really enjoying my current monitor :D

Soldato
To be honest though I would be happy with the current OLED's, just in the form of a gaming monitor. If the Alienware OLED display is doing fine for 18 months and the Dell, then how bad can it be?

As you said Micro LED is far away, OLED is here today and everyone is enjoying it. I typically replace my monitor every 3 years, so I can always get OLED then sell it and upgrade to Micro LED monitor if and when it comes out if it is noticeably better.

Not in a huge rush anyway, I am really enjoying my current monitor :D

Burn-in is definitely less of an issue than it was before, but risk is still there. Seems to vary a lot between different sets/mointors, so I imagine the manufacturing process combined with the use of the specific product all comes in to play.

I think if they can get costs down then who knows. Micro LED is a way off yet, so OLED has time to capitalise, but if Samsung get emissive QLED working at a cheaper price, that could be the nail in OLED's coffin alone. Ultimately it all comes down to who can push the tech the most. And look, we've got a £2300 IPS 144Hz HDR G-Sync monitor on the market now, so anything can happen lol!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Burn-in is definitely less of an issue than it was before, but risk is still there. Seems to vary a lot between different sets/mointors, so I imagine the manufacturing process combined with the use of the specific product all comes in to play.

I think if they can get costs down then who knows. Micro LED is a way off yet, so OLED has time to capitalise, but if Samsung get emissive QLED working at a cheaper price, that could be the nail in OLED's coffin alone. Ultimately it all comes down to who can push the tech the most. And look, we've got a £2300 IPS 144Hz HDR G-Sync monitor on the market now, so anything can happen lol!

Yeah. lol. I have zero interest in those monitors. I have no issues with OLED dying out to better tech. I purchased my Plasma TV just as it was on it's way out for cheap and after 5 years it is still going strong. Even forgetting it on desktop mode for ages I have never had permanent burn in, by the time I finish watching a tv show or movie everything is back to normal again :)

I just hope when we do get something worth upgrading over my current monitor, it does not cost silly money like these 4K 144Hz G-Sync panels which are not even that impressive from what I can see, otherwise I will be stuck on what I have for a very long time. Which come to think about it is fine, most people are still stuck on 1440p and 1080p. I sold my 30" IPS 2560x1600 Dell monitor here on members market like 8 years ago. lol. Been on 4K for nearly 4 years, but judging by the way things are moving, it should be fine for a long time yet.

Associate
I'm just interested to see what comes next in terms of performance, even though I have no intention of buying a new GPU from Nvidia.

All the leaks and fake news just annoys me as it fuels arguments and hype on here, which leads nowhere.

By the time solid facts appear, every possible scenario will have been covered on here, meaning people can proclaim they were right all along :p

Soldato
If that is the case. It shows it can be done. With more maturity it will eventually come then.

Yeah it should do. If manufacturers can be bothered.
I feel like it might be more trouble than its worth though given Alienware have still not re-updated their 13 inch model from last year.

But yes, I definitely wouldn't use LG's extremely shoddy OLED burn-in protection in their TVs as a parameter for how if its possible to counteract it. LG seem almost completely not bothered. Very simple implimentations such s dynamically dimming static elements has only just moved into the TVs this year... like thats a really really basic solution you think would be in the second gen OLEDs at least.

Since LG are basically the only OLED panel manufacturer, I sadly fear this issue will also be present on OLED TVs. I think monitors will be different if we eventually get them.

Soldato
Also NVIDIA longing out their refresh of graphics cards is just signalling to me how far away AMD are from ever really competing again.

This would be the PERFECT opportunity for AMD to leapfrog them but their priorities lie more in the mining + console crowd i think.

Soldato
I'm more than happy to hold on to my 1080ti, it struggles with nothing at 3440*1440. This wait doesn't bother me at all, and I'll probably be happy if the next release is just a refresh and I don't buy into any of it.

I could see the point if games were pushing the current hardware to the max, but they just aren't.

Back
Top Bottom