Poll: General election voting intentions poll

Voting intentions in the General Election - only use the poll if you intend to vote

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 287 42.0%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Party

Votes: 67 9.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 108 15.8%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 15 2.2%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Respect Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 36 5.3%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • UKIP

Votes: 137 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Write letters to MPs? Campaign for issues you believe in? Donate your time in other ways to causes you are passionate for?

You know, things that take actual effort :p

Correctly placing a mark in a box and spoiling the ballot require the same amount of non-effort. Why is reluctantly voting for a candidate out of apathy somehow better than a spoilt ballot?

That's what annoys me about modern politics, some parities have some good ideas, but all have really bad ones too, so I have to either vote for the lesser evil, or just not vote, it's a sad state.

Correctly placing a mark in a box and spoiling the ballot require the same amount of non-effort. Why is reluctantly voting for a candidate out of apathy somehow better than a spoilt ballot?

Because the latter gives an even worse indication of what your ideals actually are.

How else do you register your objections?

Spoiling a ballot doesn't register anything at all except to discount the ballot paper, let alone any specific or general objection. It's essentially just a waste of time and paper.

If you want to register an objection, write to your MP or go to a MP surgery.

Last edited:
After living in a massively Conservative area and then a massively Labour area, I'm just looking forward to voting in the most marginal seat in the country this time. It's nice to have my vote count for once.

there are aspects of all the parties that I don't like, but the Conservatives are probably the least bad - the economy is doing well, unemployment is down, jobs are being created, they've made cuts in spending as promised though need to cut further - then again I don't like what is happening to the NHS, privatization for the sake of it on ideological grounds is silly and not necessarily cost effective.

there are aspects of all the parties that I don't like, but the Conservatives are probably the least bad - the economy is doing well, unemployment is down, jobs are being created, they've made cuts in spending as promised though need to cut further - then again I don't like what is happening to the NHS, privatization for the sake of it on ideological grounds is silly and not necessarily cost effective.

NHS privatisation could become a big thing, but right now it's a little thing that's been blown out of all proportion. Only 6% of the NHS budget is privatised. 4.4% was already privatised when the coalition came to power. Privatisation has grown slower under this government than it did under the previous one, in spite of problems with the economy and the priority placed on reducing the deficit.

It's nothing more than a political cheap-shot at the moment. Ordinarily, I'd consider voting Labour, but Ed and Ed are really putting me off. They're populist in the extreme and their ideas lack any depth. The NHS policy is a bit like the tuition fees policy - they've decided to tell voters what they want to hear about a cause that they care about. They'll figure out how to fund it all later.

I'm likely voting Tory. It'll be the first time ever, but I think this government has done a decent job. There's been some low points (some of the benefits changes were particularly unfair in terms of the scale and speed they were implemented), but overall things are looking up. I'd consider Lib Dem too, except they have approximately 0% chance of winning this constituency. It's between our Conservative MP and a new Labour candidate. Both seem decent, but on the back of national sentiment, I can't vote for the Labour candidate. I suspect Ed and Ed are exactly what this country doesn't need right now.

Last edited:
I don't want labour in but I also don't know if I want a full fat conservative government in. I'm a slightly left wing conservative I guess in my leanings which obviously is a little bit of a contradiction.

To be honest I think in a perfect world everyone is socially left and fiscally right, it's just working out the logistics of having everything when not paying much for it that's the problem! :D

Ha - yes!

I suppose my point is then that spoiling your ballot paper by itself is surely the worst and laziest way of letting the candidates know they fail to impress you. I mean, do it, but if you really care that much that you walk to a ballot box and intentionally spoil it, really, just do something better with your time.

That's a very narrow minded point of view, I intend to spoil (or soil, haven't yet decided) my ballot paper, because I believe in the system of democracy, that is to say that I want to go and cast my vote for who should lead the country, but I don't believe any party truly represents the will of the people let alone me and I don't see any party making any realistic attempt between now and election time to convince me otherwise.

I'd say spoiling your ballot paper is the best thing you can do if you can't find someone to vote for (rather than just sitting at home on your backside) , it's the only way you can show them that you don't endorse their politics. In our current system of fptp it doesn't pay to be a popular minority when most voters feel they are in a position where they have to vote tactically to keep out the 'we're rich and we know it party' or the 'we're rich but we don't want you to know it party'

To be honest I think in a perfect world everyone is socially left and fiscally right, it's just working out the logistics of having everything when not paying much for it that's the problem! :D

wow, being socially left is damaging, i prefer socially liberal and fiscally right. I thought were going to get something great when we had the coalition but they somehow royally screwed that up! fiscally good but socially they just sat on their collective hands and maybe a bit worse (More freedoms curtailed) But i'm under no illusion if Labour has been in power for the last 5 years they would have sold all our freedoms down the river by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom