Poll: General election voting round 4

Voting intentions in the General Election?

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 276 39.5%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Green Party

Votes: 41 5.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 125 17.9%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 50 7.2%
  • Not voting/will spoil ballot

Votes: 33 4.7%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Respect Party

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • UKIP

Votes: 128 18.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record I voted labour.
Just because I'm somewhat vocal in my opposition to the worlds poor piling into the UK doesn't mean I'm about to vote for what's likely tory party #2 (UKIP)

Just saw part of the Boris and Ed chat on Andrew Marr this morning, hilarious in part. Enjoyed Boris asking him why he failed to tell people they went to the same school :P
Naughty Boris, he really just doesn't bloody care at all.

Class sizes are known to have an impact researchers have proved this.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...2/24/class-size-matters-a-lot-research-shows/

Actually it's a bit more complicated than that. The data is mixed, and appears to vary internationally; moreover it seems to actually follow some kind of U shaped pattern so that both very large and very small class sizes are problematic. It's also deeply confounded since class size tracks down as spending goes up and spending has a whole host of other advantages.

Finally, even if reducing class size is beneficial the real question is whether money spent on reducing class size is better spent on that than all the other things it could be spent on.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...fsted-chief-inspector-of-schools-9827455.html

Class sizes overall probably haven't changed a great deal due to immigration but then immigrants aren't spread out across the whole country equally so it will be localized areas that see the effect it has.

How am I supposed to find statistical data? schools don't just hound out an ethnicity graph.

looking at the ofsted report

Probably because of all the extra time the teacher spends with them whilst neglecting everyone else and they're not really a minority

Is it normal for an ofsted report to mention people learning english as an additional language so many times? or is there just a hell of a lot of kids at this school from other countries

No where did I say immigrants might not increase class size. The problem is not the immigrants but lack of teachers to keep ratios the same. The immigrants facilitate he improvement of student-teacher ratios through increased taxation beyond benefits.

In the town where I grew there was also a problem with large classes and a school that wasn't capable of supporting the number of children due to recent large increase in children, but that had nothing to do with immigration, that was just a school built in the early 70s unable to cope at the end of the 90s since the population had grown more than expected purely down to ease of modern commuting (the town allowed easy commuting between Edinburgh and Glasgow and experience sharp growth be used of that).

If you had add 500 immigrant children to a small rural town will there be a large pressure on the school. Yes. is that the fault of the immigrants? No. It is the fault of a system that isn't adaptable. Is the solution to block immigrants. No, the solution is to hire new teachers, who might MBR immigrants themselves, and increase school, funding with the taxes the immigrants bring in to the economy.
I.e. The exact same solution as if the population growth was not from immigrants, because population growth isn't the problem.

I think I'm firmly in the Labour camp for this election. I flitted around from party to party, but the past few weeks I've been seeing more and more highly sensible, highly agreeable policy from Ed Miliband. Today's incoming announcement on housing is just adding to that.

Well according to the article he resigned to look after his sick wife.

If that was the case he should have resigned a lot earlier!

Even Sinn Féin gets it right for a change:

"However, his position as health minister was clearly untenable after his attack on the LGBT community which was completely unacceptable from someone holding the position."

Think it will be a Labour vote for me. I think the way Cameron has run this election I don't think he actually wants to win!
Probably already got a nice lucrative job lined up somewhere.

If you had add 500 immigrant children to a small rural town will there be a large pressure on the school. Yes. is that the fault of the immigrants? No. It is the fault of a system that isn't adaptable. Is the solution to block immigrants. No, the solution is to hire new teachers, who might MBR immigrants themselves, and increase school, funding with the taxes the immigrants bring in to the economy..

The solution would be to let immigration occur at a sensible controlled rate. You don't let 1000 people enter a small boat and then tell everyone how great is to have all the extra money for tickets, you decide how many extra you want on-board and build the capacity for it or at least let the two happen in harmony.
The problem with immigration as we currently have it is that its uncontrolled and we don't have the capacity for it, especially at the rate it occurs. Stands to logic, how can anything work properly when its a free for all where you have no idea how many will come.

The problem with immigration as we currently have it is that its uncontrolled and we don't have the capacity for it, especially at the rate it occurs. Stands to logic, how can anything work properly when its a free for all where you have no idea how many will come.

The thing is, that's all sensationalist nonsense that you have been duped into believing.

Really, anyone from Europe can come and live here, thats uncontrolled if you ask me.
Exactly.

People argue that its governments fault for not investing in the services to support them but how can you even start to invest in something when you have no control over the capacity its to provide. If the system can't support the current numbers then you stop close the doors and sort it out, you don't carry on letting everyone in :confused:

I'm all for immigration, really I am.. but it just can't be open door all you can eat, you need to integrate and allow flow or the whole boat sinks in the end.

Really, anyone from Europe can come and live here, thats uncontrolled if you ask me.

It is, but that in itself isn't a bad thing, because it's bilateral, so as long as the countries with free movement are similar enough there's no mass movement of people.

The argument recently is that people in the newest additions in Eastern Europe are being drawn to wealthier countries without the reciprocal movement (there are some reasons to move to e.g. Croatia, but for most they're not that compelling). We have seen some, but nowhere near the extent that was "predicted" by UKIP:

Those coming from the new EU states of Romania and Bulgaria account for only 16,000 of the 68,000 rise, with the bulk of the increase from western European countries such as Italy.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/28/uk-net-migration-soars-to-243000-theresa-may (2014)

So unless kippers can reconcile "it's the Eastern Europeans!" with the fact that it's not, all this chatter about "uncontrolled migration from Eastern Europe" is crap. Or are ukippers suggesting Italian immigrants are taking our jerbs now?

I'm all for immigration, really I am.. but it just can't be open door all you can eat, you need to integrate and allow flow or the whole boat sinks in the end.

D.P. has been over this fallacy to death. The point is that immigrants don't just come and "eat" - to use your metaphor they actually come and start working in the kitchen :D (they contribute more to society than they take in public services).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom