Poll: General election voting round 5 (final one)

Voting intentions in the General Election?

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 403 42.2%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 59 6.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 176 18.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • Not voting/will spoil ballot

Votes: 42 4.4%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Respect Party

• Scottish National Party

Votes: 37 3.9%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

• Sinn Fein

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 154 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Conservatives now want to cut benefits. I don't like the idea of the poorest people having even less just so the rich can have a bit more. This means less money for someone on an average income in this country.

Voting Green.

Last edited:
I'm not against working child benefits in principle but how much of a factor is it that working parents get stuck in their ways and are unwilling to sacrifice their lifestyle choices at the expense of the taxpayer?

This is true. But they also didn't call for us to spend billions bailing out banks and to not prosecute a single CEO over it all.

Quite apart from the fact that public spending was way short of "prudent" at the time because they were trying to "buy" the next election, making things worse.

The decision to prosecute isn't the government's to make. Bailing out the banks, though unpleasant is regarded as the best course of action. Public spending before the crash was tiny in comparison to what we had to spend during the crash - the simple fact is that no amount of "prudent" spending prior to the crash would have made a blind bit of difference. It was the speed of change - in GDP and in public spending that caused a shock to the system, not the actual levels of either.

Remember, no one saw the financial crisis coming, and the Tories were in fact calling for less banking regulation at the time.

Correction, *lots* of people saw the financial crisis coming. No-one was prepared to do anything about it though. All parties are as bad as each on that front, they'll never do the responsible thing and raise interest rates to reign in the property market, better to let everyone run up debt and feel wealthy, act surprised at the crash, and then have an easy ride on the opposition bench for a few years before the other party screws things up and it's your go again.

The thing that needs to be clear is that votes don't necessarily give you MPs. Popular votes don't count much in a FPTP system.

This is very true, in 1997 UKIPs predecessors the UK Referendum party got 2.6% of the vote (over 800k) but not a single MP (they did however cost the tories a number of MPs, just like UKIP are expected to).

Correction, *lots* of people saw the financial crisis coming. No-one was prepared to do anything about it though. All parties are as bad as each on that front, they'll never do the responsible thing and raise interest rates to reign in the property market, better to let everyone run up debt and feel wealthy, act surprised at the crash, and then have an easy ride on the opposition bench for a few years before the other party screws things up and it's your go again.

That's not what caused the financial crisis though :confused:

Because every vote for Nigel counts as a step closer to Downing Street for Ed?

Plus you know - the whole xenophobia and trollism in second decade of 21st century...

Wanting to have control of your borders is xenophobia? :rolleyes:

UKIP policies are far from xenophobic; they want closer relationships with Commonwealth nations. I think what you mean to say is anti-immigrant, but they are not even that. They are fine with limited immigration.

So maybe, what you should actually have said is:

Plus you know - the whole wanting a sensible and controlled immigration policy in second decade of 21st century...

I can understand why that would panic some people, sure. Common sense is the enemy of your average lefty.

That's not what caused the financial crisis though :confused:

The US sub-prime collapse was just the trigger that brought all the UK irresponsible lending chickens home to roost. When I was a student I was getting given 5 figure limit credit cards like candy, totally ridiculous, along with interest rates being too low for too long, 100%+ mortgages and other insanity. All the no-questions-asked credit went away and people couldn't rely on their house appreciating 10%+ a year..etc.etc.

Conservative.

I'm dreading the idea of anything SNP related, which is what voting for Labour is basically doing.

Should have got rid of Scotland as they sway the vote too much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom