Poll: General election voting round 5 (final one)

Voting intentions in the General Election?

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 403 42.2%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 59 6.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 176 18.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • Not voting/will spoil ballot

Votes: 42 4.4%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Respect Party

• Scottish National Party

Votes: 37 3.9%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

• Sinn Fein

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 154 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're better off under this government with the tax allowance giving everyone more money in their pocket that we can spend on things, rather than a Labour government that would tax everybody more and spend it all on refugee housing and benefit claimants like they are planning.

I'm on the rather low end of the income scale and haven't been feeling this apparent austerity and cuts like Labour keep saying, maybe it's because I don't spend all my cash on fags and trainers?

Remember, no one saw the financial crisis coming, and the Tories were in fact calling for less banking regulation at the time.

This is true. But they also didn't call for us to spend billions bailing out banks and to not prosecute a single CEO over it all.

Quite apart from the fact that public spending was way short of "prudent" at the time because they were trying to "buy" the next election, making things worse.

I can't understand why Milliband has ruled out any deals with the SNP. It's arguably the easiest way to win power, and Labour would be the dominant party. So why not go for a coalition?

Because labour doesn't even need an official coalition with the SNP, just for the SNP to vote no confidence for any proposed Tory Government, hence there is already an implicit deal that will ensure Millband sits in #10

You obviously haven't engaged brain. How is a parent supposed to "earn it instead" when they're looking after young children? Maybe they pay for childcare... We have the second most expensive childcare costs in the world, far beyond what low earners can afford. Hence benefits to help parents stuck in this trap.

How about: Don't have children until you can afford it?

Childcare costs are "second most expensive" because they are calculated against family income, while the same statistic underlines that UK has one of the lowest percentages of working mothers. If mum works, family income goes up and it's no longer expensive...

How about: Don't have children until you can afford it?

These are working tax credits we're talking about: a reimbursement of tax for working parents.

We can argue that poor people in low paid jobs shouldn't have children, but it's hardly the fault of the unskilled or untalented that living costs are pushed up beyond their measn in our country by the wealth of the higher earners.

Government wants people to have children, and it wants those children to be brought up as functioning, contributing members of society. The success rate of children brought up in poverty is lower than those in wealthier households, and even a small increase in income has a large effect on outcomes. Everyone wins when you help struggling families.

Yes because situations could never possibly change, right?

Of course they can, but unless you're the kind of person who doesn't think to a) plan for the future, and b) have a "buffer" of funds available, then you're probably not responsible enough to think about having children ;)

My situation would have to have some kind of catastrophic change in order for me to be in a position to want a pittance from any government. And in that case, I'd likely have bigger problems, such as loss of limb... or consciousness.

but it's hardly the fault of the unskilled or untalented that living costs are pushed up beyond their measn in our country by the wealth of the higher earners.

Possibly, but I'd argue that it IS the fault of the unskilled or untalented that they ARE unskilled or untalented in the first place. You don't need a paid-for education to drag yourself up off the bottom rung.

Possibly, but I'd argue that it IS the fault of the unskilled or untalented that they ARE unskilled or untalented in the first place. You don't need a paid-for education to drag yourself up off the bottom rung.

That depends on how you see the origins of talent developing.

Do you have children? Whether you do or not: would you take time to read to them, help them experience new things, teach them your skills, help with homework?

Why bother with all of that, if the answer to success is just that they need to drag themselves up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom