Poll: German Grand Prix 2018, Hockenheim - Race 11/21

Rate the 2018 German Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Oh give it a rest would you? There are mitigating factors and different circumstances applied to any and every given situation, no two instances are the same, which is why it's not so simple as 'someone breaking the rules'. If you want to continue with that though, vettel should have been banned for intentionally ramming Lewis last year, right? but lets ignore that for your sake hey? :rolleyes:

Same way Lewis should have been banned for ramming into Raikonnen in the pits during quali right? :rolleyes:

Transmission breaker
Don
Calm it down peeps..

Ferrari messed it up today, Mercedes got lucky and the championship is still alive.

It was very exciting at the end, and made it into a great race to watch.

The Hamilton incident is clearly not an issue, Ferrari not contesting it, no one mentioning it. Its clear the Baku incident was a specific issue that was covered in the driver's briefing of that specific race.

Would not have been the same penalty for the same offense in this race.

Track specific rules discussed with the driver's in the briefing are not uncommon. Perhaps the FIA should start publishing the briefing comments, if they don't already!

Soldato
The person I really feel for is Bottas. He seemed like he could take 1st. Had tyres switched on after restart. Had the will.

Got team orders.

Fair play to him, proved again he is a team player. But maybe too nice for his own good.

Result on Hamilton for pit lane shenanigans seems reasonable.

Man of Honour
Keith from what was F1Fanatic (Now racefans, but F1Fanatic was such a better name) found this:

Keith said:
I’ve had a look at the other instances of drivers being investigated for crossing the white line at pit entry I’ve been able to find between 2011 and 2017. There are 22 of them.

Of those, four attracted penalties:

Felipe Massa, 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix
Carlos Sainz Jnr, 2015 Russian Grand Prix
Kimi Raikkonen, 2016 European Grand Prix
Pascal Wehrlein, 2017 Spanish Grand Prix

In each of those cases, drivers had been specifically warned in the Event Notes not to cross the pit entry line. In the case of this weekend, there is no such warning in the Event Notes.

Based on that I wouldn’t be surprised to see no penalty issued.

Caporegime
Tires don't take long to warm up, he had fresher tires that get hotter quicker. He had the slipstream as well thus an advantage and he couldn't make the move stick. Hamilton was ahead, Bottas had his chance but the reality is Hamilton's pace increased the very next lap, his chance was gone.

Caporegime
Tires don't take long to warm up, he had fresher tires that get hotter quicker. He had the slipstream as well thus an advantage and he couldn't make the move stick. Hamilton was ahead, Bottas had his chance but the reality is Hamilton's pace increased the very next lap, his chance was gone.

I'm pretty sure he could have got past but lifted to obey orders. Making a point as it were. Whether Hamilton could have taken the pace back with his far superior pace is another matter.

Soldato

On that lap..........and let's face it, on a track that's hard to pass particularly with changeable conditions he did well. Given remaining laps he could have been in contentio and pressured LH all the way.

I can understand the decision. I agree with it. To get so close and then both cars be wiped out was a possibility.

Fair play to Bottas, working with the team and biding his time. Just a shame we didnt yey a 'race' all the way to the end.

Soldato
I thought this was a really dull race until the rain started to fall, and then it came alive. Vettel sliding off reminded me a bit of when he buckled under pressure from Button in Montreal 2011, but Hamilton wasn't right behind him then - just closing at a rapid pace and doubtless his engineer would have warned him about very fast Mercedes and Kimi already being overtaken. I think the action on Hamilton was proportionate. His engineer though? Terrible! He's supposed to be a calm instructor but that was chaotic. Mercedes might have made the right calls today or lucked into them, but there's still clearly a problem with running real time strategies and then making the call from the pit wall.

I think Bottas would have probably got Hamilton before the end, but it was a sensible decision. After all, we mostly moan and laugh at Red Bulls clashing together, or Force India's doing the same. Mercedes wanted to guarantee the 43 points - whether they'd have done the same thing if the positions had been reversed we'll never know.

Was there an extra heavy burst of rain at some point? Just before Vettel went off, Kimi went wide a few times. LeClerc went off and so did Perez. I couldn't see anything, but it felt like there just might have been one of those extra heavy bursts that storms give before they begin to dissipate. Feelings of Vettel choking under pressure aside, he'd taken that corner 5 or 6 times in similar conditions and had no problems with it. Those crashes almost look like slow motion - they're at half the race pace yet the driver has virtually no control.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Those crashes almost look like slow motion - they're at half the race pace yet the driver has virtually no control.
It is scary how easily the modern F1 car fails under any sort of wet weather.

Vettel was essentially a passenger long before he went off. Gutted tbh, I wanted to see a proper fight for the lead under the circumstances.

Soldato

Vettel was essentially a passenger long before he went off. Gutted tbh, I wanted to see a proper fight for the lead under the circumstances.

If someone else had slid off to trigger the safety car, and left Hamilton and Vettel fighting it out for the lead with 10 laps remaining it would have been brilliant.

I feel for Ricciardo this weekend. He might have been right in the mix if he'd managed his tyres right up until the rain. That said, RBR made a terrible call by putting Verstappen on to intermediates, but I get the point that they had two free pitstops in their pocket over the next car. That in itself is very sad - without any external intervention - weather etc - everyone below 5th or 6th stood a very good chance of being lapped.

Soldato

With 20 laps to go and Lewis on ultras lapping much faster I reckon we could have seen that fight as well, albeit with drivers different tyres, but it sure did look like game on. Alas we will never know...

I hold my hope for one of these races where we wont get robbed of a good battle.
The fight will be awesome, it will last for multiple laps, two drivers jostling for 1st & 2nd preferably 5 laps from the end, with me on the very edge of my seat and my heart rate going through the roof... I still hold on to that slim chance it could happen, I guess thats why i'm a sucker and keep watching.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom