Ghost of Tsushima - directors cut

Soldato
Yes I'm sort of sad I played this on the PS5 already because this game is so worth having for the very reasonable £50 that it costs on Steam for what you get.

Atmosphere wise I loved it start to end, and it looks like Nixx have done a fantastic job on the port.

As you say 4090 doesn't automatically mean great running game, a lot of recent releases have had performance issues even on these monster cards.

I hope Rise of the Ronin gets a PC port as well at some point as I liked that a lot too, it didn't quite live up to the visuals of this, but combat was a lot of fun and with PC mods I think it could definitely compete.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely. I hate using the line, "performance is incredible, or buttery smooth" when using a 4090, it bloody should be. But this last year or so, so many games have dropped in such a poorly optimised state that you can't even brute force it to get over 100fps.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wow. First time playing this game, never touched it on console, but been eagerly waiting for this one. Oh my days, it has not disappointed. I'm absolutely in awe of the visuals and the gameplay and I've only put in around 2 hours or so.

Performance is absolutely buttery smooth, always seems a stupid thing to say on a 4090 as you'd obviously expect that. But we all know how crap gaming has been the last year or so for badly optimised games. Running everything maxed out, it just flys along. Recorded everything at 4k maxed out if anyone interested. Ignore the cringe horrible intro, was done at 02:30 in the morning haha, timestamped the start of the action.

That video quality, most impressive it is!

Enjoying the game here too, textures are a bit **** and the raster effects are dated as **** so I would expect to be getting good fps haha but the art style and world design is great.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's not a huge deal of similarity with Elden Ring to be honest. I found this a good challenge on hard difficulty, but you can play on normal if you don't want harder opponents or fights.

This is the kind of game where you take in the atmosphere, and the sights and locations as you go around completing the quests and things. Think more like Witcher 3 but side quests aren't quite as compelling.

Soldato
That video quality, most impressive it is!

Enjoying the game here too, textures are a bit **** and the raster effects are dated as **** so I would expect to be getting good fps haha but the art style and world design is great.

How's it playing on the old 3080 potato? Have you had to drop to balanced or can it still manage quality?

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Played couple hours tonight and forgot how much I enjoyed this game, only real issue I'm having is some DLSS/FG issues with subtitles and I've noticed in some cutscenes there is these strange artifacts going across the screen, dunno if caused by DLSS/FG or something else, can't wait to finally try the DLC out

Absolutely. I hate using the line, "performance is incredible, or buttery smooth" when using a 4090, it bloody should be. But this last year or so, so many games have dropped in such a poorly optimised state that you can't even brute force it to get over 100fps.
Tbh I can't believe how shockingly bad Jedi Survivor is even with FG enabled, I ended up disabling RT if I remember correctly to make it feel smoother

Caporegime
How's it playing on the old 3080 potato? Have you had to drop to balanced or can it still manage quality?

Maxed out with dlss quality @ 3440x1440 and getting 70-80 fps, some areas go up to 100 fps, couple areas where it drops to 60s. Frame pacing is very good so it feels nice and smooth even in the 60s. FSR 3 frame gen brings frames to 100-120 on average and motion fluidity/clarity does look better but it doesn't feel as smooth and there are also graphical artifacts with FSR 3 FG as shown in technical articles so I just keep it off.

I think people are giving it too much credit for the performance as the visuals are very dated so I'm not surprised at it not running like complete **** :p I would be expecting more FPS for the visuals on display tbh. It's the art style and overall world design which really makes it excel. The shadows are laughably bad at times imo, as in they are hard and not diffused at all so some scenes just don't look right (@Calin Banc this would be a good game for RT shadows)

Soldato
Yeah but only to tell us all how crap it looks without RT. ;)

I would have liked some higher resolution textures but can totally live without any RT. The improvements are minor but there are some graphical improvements over PS4 and PS5.

Improved LOD for meshes, shadows and grass
Improved SSR
Improved shadow quality

Basically I accept it for what it is, an updated conversion of an old classic AAA PS4 game that PC owners can finally play.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maxed out with dlss quality @ 3440x1440 and getting 70-80 fps, some areas go up to 100 fps, couple areas where it drops to 60s. Frame pacing is very good so it feels nice and smooth even in the 60s. FSR 3 frame gen brings frames to 100-120 on average and motion fluidity/clarity does look better but it doesn't feel as smooth and there are also graphical artifacts with FSR 3 FG as shown in technical articles so I just keep it off.

I think people are giving it too much credit for the performance as the visuals are very dated so I'm not surprised at it not running like complete **** :p I would be expecting more FPS for the visuals on display tbh. It's the art style and overall world design which really makes it excel. The shadows are laughably bad at times imo, as in they are hard and not diffused at all so some scenes just don't look right (@Calin Banc this would be a good game for RT shadows)
The game is not my coup of tea, as they say, but yeah, should run well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom