Ghost of Tsushima - directors cut

Soldato
Has anyone mentioned/ discussed the terrible smearing/ ghosting effect in tree foliage when you pan the camera around yet?

I've tried all combos of AA and upscaling, everything off, frame gen on and off, motion blur off etc etc - and it makes no difference, though it is slightly less noticeable with AA totally off. It looks a little bit like the artefacting you can get when using reshade and RTGI raytracing shaders when the depth buffers aren't properly set.

It's totally game breaking for me and looks really really awful, no one else noticed this??

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone mentioned/ discussed the terrible smearing/ ghosting effect in tree foliage when you pan the camera around yet?

I've tried all combos of AA and upscaling, everything off, frame gen on and off, motion blur off etc etc - and it makes no difference, though it is slightly less noticeable with AA totally off. It looks a little bit like the artefacting you can get when using reshade and RTGI raytracing shaders when the depth buffers aren't properly set.

It's totally game breaking for me and looks really really awful, no one else noticed this??
I had the same issue, tbh I had the issue in a lot of games, drove me crazy and the only thing that worked was to go into my monitors settings (Aorus ad27qd) and change the "Overdrive" setting to "Picture quality" rather than "Balance" or "Speed". Maybe your monitor has a similar setting. Someone far more technical than me might have a better solution haha but I have no more ghosting.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had the same issue, tbh I had the issue in a lot of games, drove me crazy and the only thing that worked was to go into my monitors settings (Aorus ad27qd) and change the "Overdrive" setting to "Picture quality" rather than "Balance" or "Speed". Maybe your monitor has a similar setting. Someone far more technical than me might have a better solution haha but I have no more ghosting.

It's nowt to do with my screen - it's OLED so doesn't even have overdrive settings. It's nothing to do with ghosting or motion blur or anything like that - it's only on very specific elements of the image i.e. on tree foliage and in certain situations the shadows on rocks. It's very strange, never seen anything like it before.

UPDATE: It's definitely an issue with the game and its engine - found this post on Reddit that shows it was even an issue back on the PS4, 4 years ago! The short video clip sort of demonstrates the problem I'm seeing though this only really shows the 'brightness shift', https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostoftsu...has_anyone_else_been_having_this_issue_where/

Why have none of the big tech youtube Muppets picked up on this glaring problem?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's nowt to do with my screen - it's OLED so doesn't even have overdrive settings. It's nothing to do with ghosting or motion blur or anything like that - it's only on very specific elements of the image i.e. on tree foliage and in certain situations the shadows on rocks. It's very strange, never seen anything like it before.

UPDATE: It's definitely an issue with the game and its engine - found this post on Reddit that shows it was even an issue back on the PS4, 4 years ago! The short video clip sort of demonstrates the problem I'm seeing though this only really shows the 'brightness shift', https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostoftsu...has_anyone_else_been_having_this_issue_where/

Why have none of the big tech youtube Muppets picked up on this glaring problem?

Are you using any sort of scaling/dlss/fsr etc?

I'm running the game maxed out at 4k with no scaling or dlss. I'll check tonight, but can't say I've seen any issues with the foliage smearing/blurring.

Soldato
As already said, I've tried all combos of scaling on and off, frame gen, HDR, motion blur, ultra low settings, ultra high, evvvvveeeerything.

It looks 'best' (but still crap) with AA totally off, and looks worst with FSR3. Looks like this but more exagerated and it's only in tree foliage and on certain shadows on rock surfaces: https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostoftsu...has_anyone_else_been_having_this_issue_where/

Last edited:
Soldato
Played for a couple of hours this evening, spent quite a bit of time staring at trees, but still not witnessed any smearing in their motion or when moving around. I grabbed a bit of footage with my phone, as I wasn't sure screen capture would show the same as what I'm looking at. I did record in 4k60fps

Last edited:
Soldato
Played for a couple of hours this evening, spent quite a but of time staring at trees, but still not witnessed and smearing in their motion or when moving around. I grabbed a bit of footage with my phone, as I wasn't sure screen capture would show the same as what I'm looking at. I did record in 4k60fps

Thanks for making the effort bud - your footage looks fine and isn't demonstrating what I am.......or rather was seeing. I say was, because the latest patch that's just dropped seems to have completely fixed the issue! So there must have been something going on.

Time to actually play the game now, though one last niggle I have is with the HDR implementation. Like most games it's not perfect, and in this one although the black floor level is good it's actually crushing blacks way too much in darker scenes and you lose all details.
You can mitigate it a bit by upping the in game brightness to 60 or 70, but that's not ideal as it starts to wash out colour and contrast a little. I've made a simple reshade that tweaks the low end of mid tones to have less contrast which works really well.

Soldato
Glad it's fixed for m8, and the last patch was only a tiny update, but at least something good :)

Because HDR has been so hit and miss in the past, I've not even though to try it in this game. I might give it a whirl later and see how it does.

Soldato
So, is this worth grabbing yet or wait?
Depends on your definition of worth and whether you're willing to wait for the price to drop. Despite it's £50 price tag it's not a new game, the graphics are noticeably dated compared to modern titles that are going for the same money or less. I'm enjoying playing it as it's pretty well polished with a decent learning curve to combat that is rewarding as you get to master it, it's got a decent story arc which I'm enjoying in Japanese with English subtitles, character development and skill progression are pretty unique making the game best played through map exploration where you stumble on unique locations, activities and side missions. Personally as good as the game is it's hard to recommend at £50 and I'd suggest waiting for it to hit £30 or under, by which time the bugs that still need to be ironed out should have been fixed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have to say I think this game is really really decent. It's 'grabbed' me more than any other game in a long time.

Great art style, look and feel, an engaging narrative and very solid authentic feeling and well acted characters and a truly superb action and fighting mechanic. I'm a bit of a sucker for the 'proper' samurai stuff, so I think I'll be giving ubisofts up coming "Assassin's Creed: We Wuz Samurai and Shieeeeet" DEI debacle a wide birth....

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished main story so finally time to play the DLC, I've platinumed game before on PS5 but never played DLC so while playing game again on PC was great bit like HFW I'm mainly here for DLC

Back
Top Bottom