Ghost of Tsushima - directors cut

Soldato
Played for a couple of hours, some early game comparison of GoT to (also early game if you like) Sekiro, Like a Dragon: Ishin! and Ninja Gaiden 2.

Positives:
Combat (playing on hard) is really good- way better than Ishin, and on par with Sekiro and NG2 (it's completely different, but just as enjoyable in the early stages. Too early to talk about depth and replay value where NG2 and Sekiro are supreme)
Presentation tech - light, shadows, fog, particles, colours are all really nice. You still feel its a PS4 game, but GoT is better than Sekiro et al here.

Negatives:
Atmosphere - GoT loses to the three games above. The waffly characters are flat, and the world feels like it was designed by a western studio that's done some research on Japan. Lacks authenticity and Nippoooon! cool - unlike the three Japanese masterpieces above. Thus, exploring GoT's pejorative ubisoft world is a chore, although the beautiful presentation tech saves it somewhat.
Story - Sekiro's and LAD:Ishin! characters and their motivations are in a different league. GoT is about NG2 level overall, but where NG2 was bat poo insane, GoT protagonists are safe, clean and PC. Of course, NG2 story is not bloated like it is in GoT.
Open world - hate it. On average, you ride your horse for 10 minutes to have 1 minute of combat. The horse has two speeds - 3mph and 30mph unless I'm missing something. The intro chapter had a much healthier exploration to combat ratio than the main game.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yes it's a £20 to £30 at a stretch kind of game, not a £40 to £50 game. I get a better sense of exploration and side question immersion from other third person games like Forbidden West than this, plus the GFX are much nicer.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yes it's a £20 to £30 at a stretch kind of game, not a £40 to £50 game. I get a better sense of exploration and side question immersion from other third person games like Forbidden West than this, plus the GFX are much nicer.

Good thing I set my target price at £25 or less then. Now that Baldurs Gate 3 has finally got it's hooks into me after 20 hours of playing it I think it won't be until the end of summer I am done with it :cry:

I already have STALKER 2 pre ordered also and will be playing that on release. Probably around the time I am done with BG3 :D

I see your are still Banana btw :cry:

Soldato

I found this on the PS5 hence I never completed it. But playing this last night on the PC (slowly getting back to gaming) was a MUCH better experience. As for the world and exploration, I'm only focusing on areas on my path to main and side quests, outside of that I will collect later when I'm bored of the story.

What really sold me is this is running at 4k, everything max, all the mod cons (blur, vig etc) turned off with the exception of DLSS set to quality. With a 3090 and a 9900k I'm well above 75fps on average and with HDR on my 42" OLED it's simply breathtaking. I'm going out on a limb and saying that this game is artistically and visually one of the best I've ever seen.

That and the combat is SO MUCH FUN! It can be a little too easy (even on the hardest difficulty), but when you slow down and play the combat how it was designed, it really oozes that old martial arts style of combat. Great fun.

Associate
IS there much content outside of the main story/campaign?
Im someone who loves lots of exploration ,lots of side quests with solid combat, give me this and plenty of it and im happy.
Story is not super important to me, im more about gameplay so i tend to buy games that doesnt just end when you finish the campaign.
If i was to buy this on PC will i have lots to do outside of the main story?
Does the legends feature add much content? is legends pve or pvp or both

Soldato
I'm also enjoying it. Despite my criticism of the story, characters, unauthentic setting and so on, the nerding out a samurai fantasy part is still excellent. The meaty combat, the gear, the animations (so far only the "end suffering" animation is ropey looking)... It's a great game still, just for the different reasons then I though it would be.

Soldato
Yes, I always think people are weird because they don't want to read subtitles in a game. Is this some kind of like weeb anime thing, I've only ever heard that being discussed in those circles.

Last edited:
Soldato
He was playing the game with mouse and kb so you decide! :D:cry:

oh-dear-oh-dear-oh-dear.gif

Soldato
Yes, I always think people are weird because they don't want to read subtitles in a game. Is this some kind of like weeb anime thing, I've only ever heard that being discussed in those circles.

To be honest Eng dubs can be OK but I tend to play/watch stuff in their original language/the language that makes the most sense.

Watch Dark in German lang, play Plague Tales in French, and anything set in Japan is best done in Japanese if you can.

Eng dubs often use American voice actors and they're awful (at least they sound it to me!).

FF16 used English Voice Actors and sounded very Game of Thrones so eng dub worked OK on that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you watch all foreign shows/movies dubbed in English too? It completely takes away from the experience and original intent.

I don't think I watch foreign ones really. Oh actually I watched squid game in dubs. Yes, because I want to watch what's going on on screen not have to read the subtitles. Also when I get distracted I can still listen to what's going on.

I cannot speak foreign languages, therefore the "original intent" is going to be lost on me regardless.
Anyway, this is a bit off topic so let's just agree to disagree. You keep reading subtitles. I'll keep listening in a language I understand.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you watch all foreign shows/movies dubbed in English too? It completely takes away from the experience and original intent.

This is worse in live action stuff because the lip sync and audio balance is usually way off. Recording voices in a studio and the voices not sounding like they're on set/location is a big negative for me.

In games at least they can try and solve the lip sync issue, and all voices are recorded in studio regardless the language so it doesn't have as much impact.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom