• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo ETA for 3900x?

Soldato
The complete lack of any stock anywhere of the 3900x is a grim outlook for those of us waiting for the 3950x launch in September. At this rate, we might be lucky if we actually see any 3950x stock before November.

Associate
The whole thing was strange. I got my cpu straight away, yet ordered after some people who are still waiting. Guess for once in my life, I was one of the lucky ones.

Probably because they had other items in their order that were out of stock at the time. As other people have found out, stock is not reserved on your order and every item has to be in stock before it is allocated and shipped.

Caporegime
Probably because they had other items in their order that were out of stock at the time. As other people have found out, stock is not reserved on your order and every item has to be in stock before it is allocated and shipped.
I knew the 3900 would be popular, so I ordered it separately from other bits, just in case. They can’t hold it back if it’s the only item on one order.

Associate
After contacting customer support they kindly offered / suggested splitting the order. Think its only an issue if you used PayPal, which wouldn't be recommended if spending over £100 anyway.

Associate
Not your fault, we have loads of people here that pre-ordered on the release date or before that still don't have their CPUs. This delay and price-gouging (even indirectly so) is AMD's fault. Here's to hoping it comes back in stock soon.
All we can do is hope. However I would rather wait even longer to get the cpu than getting one that's not as good as the ones made before and after it. I am thinking that previously they must have even binned infinity fabric controllers resulting in better fclk overclocking. I reckon this shortage might have tempted them to not bin those chips as aggressively as before.

Associate
Associate
Good news is whilst people have been waiting, there's been a chipset driver update last week that further improved single core/gaming performance by another 1.2% average at 1080p gaming.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/new-amd-chipset-driver-performance-test-ryzen-9-3900x/3.html

Before you laugh, consider the average gap between a 3900X and 9900K was 5% before. So that reducing by another 1.2% is great news. At other res' the improvement was smaller.

Sounds promising. Might have overtaken 9900k by the time I get mine!

Associate
The unwillingness to even present an excuse makes me believe that it's not an expected problem, and they're embarrassed about it. In my own personal experience, suits will always restrict information flow if it's going to make them look bad.
I am personally starting to find the 'radio silence' from AMD to be just as annoying as the stock shortage themselves. A "we never expected it to be as popular, here's when we expect better availability to be" type announcement would go a long way.

Just tweeted AMD Robert and AMDRyzen - let's see if they reply!

Last edited:
Associate
Crikey, I admire everyone's patience, nearly a month now!

I agree AMD should say something, and as for the 3950x is doesn't have a specific release date does it? Maybe they'll let that slide.

Back
Top Bottom