• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo ETA for 3900x?

Associate
It is completely insane. I can't even test my hardware! I was hoping AMD would provide loaner CPUs for those waiting but I guess I was way too optimistic as they don't even bother making a statement about stock.

Associate
They haven't manufactured enough to cover demand, but won't admit it as they'll look stupid. Perhaps they've had other issues, but since they're not talking about it, who knows!
That was definitely deliberate though. Stores got like what, 10-20 units at launch? It would be understandable if they send around a 100 to each store and it all sold out but they sent a bare minimum amount simply because they don't have more.

Associate
That was definitely deliberate though. Stores got like what, 10-20 units at launch? It would be understandable if they send around a 100 to each store and it all sold out but they sent a bare minimum amount simply because they don't have more.

I think Europe in particular definitely got shafted, although U.S consumers are also complaining. Paper launch with only a very limited number of units actually shipped.

Man of Honour

Seems right to me... the crucial bit is probably that they dont have enough bottom of the barrel silicon to make these "bottom of the barrel" chips. Yes I get that I'm talking a 12 core part as bottom of the barrel and I honestly believe that is what it is. I think these are without doubt lower bins if what we hear about yields is true. It might also explain why we are seeing the X parts but not the non X, they simply dont have as much lower binned silicon as we think they do.

If this rings true TR might well be an absolute monster.

Last edited:
Associate
From a week or 2 ago...

Around 200 pre orders and 350 due on but nothing to say AMD won’t only deliver 150 as I’ve had shipment notifications on other lines but the full amount order did not arrive.

Edit: just realised you were querying no. already received. Not sure thats been mentioned. I'll go to bed now! :rolleyes::o

Associate
They haven't manufactured enough to cover demand, but won't admit it as they'll look stupid. Perhaps they've had other issues, but since they're not talking about it, who knows!

Why would they look stupid? They warned repeatedly that they likely didn't have enough wafers for the rest of the year, and that Q3 would be a particular squeeze.

I warned as much here prior to launch, and people completely ignored it, and now some of the same people are acting with surprise and outrage when there's nowhere near enough stock.

Ramp won't happen to any great extent until middle of this month.

Wafer availability is also what determines how late TR4 arrives - they wanted it in August, September looks unlikely, and minimal availability in October likely but far from ideal (stock will be LOW but they need it out by then).

Furthermore, you guessed it, bigger Navi launch is largely determined by wafer availability. They could launch this year ... but I doubt they'll have more than a trickle of stock if they do.

They should have considerably more wafers from Jan / Feb of next year.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
It’s nothing to do with binning chiplets for the 3950X that’s inbound next month causing shortages then?

Associate
It’s nothing to do with binning chiplets for the 3950X that’s inbound next month causing shortages then?

Binning for EPYC will take up far more than the 3950X or TR4 ever will.

But the point seems to have completely gone over your head. They have a relatively small number of wafers to work with. So there are a small number of chips going into each bin.

Whether it be Ryzen 3xxx, TR4 3xxx, or EPYC, they will not have enough chips because they do not have enough wafers.

As I said, there should be a bit of a ramp this month, but it'll be another 2-3 months before that gets through to the channel. Taps won't truly open until early next year, as TSMC should have more than enough wafers for them by then.

Associate

But the point seems to have completely gone over your head. They have a relatively small number of wafers to work with. So there are a small number of chips going into each bin.

Whether it be Ryzen 3xxx, TR4 3xxx, or EPYC, they will not have enough chips because they do not have enough wafers.

As I said, there should be a bit of a ramp this month, but it'll be another 2-3 months before that gets through to the channel. Taps won't truly open until early next year, as TSMC should have more than enough wafers for them by then.

How do you know all this? What is your source/s? Are you extrapolating a constrained supply scenario because TSMC are their sole provider of 7nm chips covering both Ryzen and Navi?

I mean being supply constrained at launch for a new product is 100% normal. I have seen no evidence yet that AMD have an extra-ordinary situation here whereby supply will only be able to fill demand 'in 2-3 months' or early next-year as you suggested.

From a week or 2 ago...

Edit: just realised you were querying no. already received. Not sure thats been mentioned. I'll go to bed now! :rolleyes::o

No that's the kind of info I was looking for, thanks.

Associate

Overclockers have stock of every 3000 series processor released except the 3900x
Either TR4 and Epyc are taking the fastest cores or they simply don't have enough cores fast enough

Associate
Overclockers have stock of every 3000 series processor released except the 3900x
Either TR4 and Epyc are taking the fastest cores or they simply don't have enough cores fast enough

Yeah I could have misconstrued his post but I took it he was saying all of Ryzen 3000 will be supply constrained for 2-3 months or until next year. Which I don't believe until evidence is supplied.

If he meant 3900X specifically, then it still seems fanciful.

HRL

HRL

Soldato

Bit harsh but as someone else pointed out, in case you missed it, stock isn’t an issue for any of the other SKU’s, only the 3900X.

Back
Top Bottom