• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo ETA for 3900x?

Permabanned
So essentially 2021 then :). So that leaves 1 year for the 3600 to become obsolete :D.

So the cores in my 3600 will be more powerful than those in the ps5 because I’m not constrained by a power and heat envelope yet within a year all 6 core cpus will no longer be able to run windows or games or Firefox. Wow.

The reality is I specifically choose the 3600 with the intention I would upgrade if I feel it’s worth it, that is the beauty of owning a Ryzen cpu, I can just drop in the next generation without needing to upgrade.

I think the Jaguar CPU cores in the PS4 Pro are equal to a dual-core Ryzen. Now you have six-core Ryzen.
After PS5's launch, you will still have that 6-core Ryzen, but the games will be done for 8-core Ryzen.
That is the difference in simple terms.

Permabanned
I think the Jaguar CPU cores in the PS4 Pro are equal to a dual-core Ryzen. Now you have six-core Ryzen.
After PS5's launch, you will still have that 6-core Ryzen, but the games will be done for 8-core Ryzen.
That is the difference in simple terms.
Which doesn’t mean they will be obsolete it just means as it always has that technology moves on.

Your making the mistake in thinking that everybody buys all the lastest games, runs a 2080ti or better and games at 1080p. I don’t nor do the vast majority. So In conclusion, the 3600 will be fine but if you want bleeding edge you a) probably wouldn’t have 3600 to begin with or b) would upgrade to suit your needs.

Associate
PS5 is November 2020. The cores in the new-gen console will be powerful enough to enable immediately with its launch new games with new generation graphics and physics.
At that point, your 3600 will show its age. Not that there aren't games that force the 2600 to micro-stutter right now.

This is the reality. You should have bought something better if you expect future-proofing.
ps5 will pre order at $1000 i doubt it will have an impact like you think it will, sure it'l use a faster 8 core chip, but if people dont buy them in droves, developers wont buy in and that power will go unused.
since when did a new core count make a step down core count obsolete. it doesn't, else the 6700k would be obsolete, its not, its simply slower for example. it can still run games perfectly fine.
what im saying is, if the ps5 releases and developers now code for 8 core cpus in mind, that doesnt mean you cant run a game perfectly fine on a 6 core, just means itl likely run faster on the 8 core.

i think you are living in a world of absolute extremes, reality doesnt quite work out so black and white.

Associate
It is the people's fault to some extend but to some other it could be more factors here as well, ie AMD not foreseeing demand of these and not producing much etc.
I am a good example, as I kinda desperately need a new system.
I am on a very old p775 q9550 c2q setup as i have been waiting for the new zen 2 procs since literally when they got announced last Christmas. Non stop waiting, they got released in July, i almost bought it, but then i read bad staff about clocks, thermals and the x570 etc, and was contemplating to get the 3900 or 3950x. I need the new pc as i have 2 vega 56's that the q9550 cannot drive even one on 1080p at my main monitor, but can drive at 4k at the TV!! :p.

In that aspect now i have 2 gpus sitting wasting time away so i need the new build. If it was my day to day bread maker i would have built a new pc ages ago, but with the price gouge i just don't feel right in throwing £100 down the drain just because i didn't buy in July. Other people would though if they are in need. Business economics i guess.
sorry mate, missed your reply, yes you are quite right. if you look around, you can find it at reasonable prices still :)

Permabanned
ps5 will pre order at $1000 i doubt it will have an impact like you think it will, sure it'l use a faster 8 core chip, but if people dont buy them in droves, developers wont buy in and that power will go unused.
since when did a new core count make a step down core count obsolete. it doesn't, else the 6700k would be obsolete, its not, its simply slower for example. it can still run games perfectly fine.
what im saying is, if the ps5 releases and developers now code for 8 core cpus in mind, that doesnt mean you cant run a game perfectly fine on a 6 core, just means itl likely run faster on the 8 core.

i think you are living in a world of absolute extremes, reality doesnt quite work out so black and white.

Today, the 6-core is stated in the recommended system requirements, what I meant is that it will drop to the minimum system requirements.
After all the 3600 is the lowest end Zen 2 offer. It is a low-end CPU these days and things for it will become only worse.

As above, people are already rolling 12-core CPUs en masse.

Associate
Today, the 6-core is stated in the recommended system requirements, what I meant is that it will drop to the minimum system requirements.
After all the 3600 is the lowest end Zen 2 offer. It is a low-end CPU these days and things for it will become only worse.

The R5 3600 is a six core with SMT. It will outlast a cpu with just six cores with no HT/SMT. It might even outlast an 8 core without SMT/HT.

Associate

the 6 core 12 thread chip will not be min requirements until you can no longer buy a quad core chip. AMD still sell quad core chips see here: https://www.amd.com/en/shop/gb/Desktop Processors just because the 6 core is the lowest core count ryzen 3000 chip currently, doesn't mean it will be in a few months or next year. whilst its good that in theory should mean developers focus on core count to, i do not believe 6 cores will be the min requirements so shortly after becoming so mainstream. you need a low/med/high end product line up, which means developers will min the low end, atm the low end is the ryzen 3 3200g and ryzen 5 3400g until replaced, no matter what any of us believe.
p.s i have one of those 12 core chips.

Back
Top Bottom