• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo ETA for 3900x?

Don
I am in exactly the same boat.

One thing I am not fond of is the complete radio silence from AMD. I waited the whole September to hear about the 3950x getting delayed in an October announcement. Do i have to wait for 5th of November for an announcement with the Threadrippers and be able to buy it at the end of November or is it a different date? A bit more waiting and Ryzen 4000 will be upon us..

Exactly; you can be sure there are NDA's in place, so people can't speak about the chip. But it would be nice for AMD to release some information to let us know whether it's on track or not).

Associate
I've not purchased yet as I'm waiting to see what the 4000 series can bring. If they really do manage to get the SMT with 4 threads per core, the 4x series will be astonishingly quick and well worth the wait. Hopefully by Feb, we'll have more news. Sorry Intel, but you've missed the boat here. Your constant regurgitation of old tech is tiresome and AMD really have made a come back :D about time too!!

It sounds really cool with 4 threads per core but I thought that it was supposed to be for probably the next AM5 cpus and not 4000 series. Anywho in my case i cannot wait much longer i have 2 Vega 56s that sit and crawl while waiting for the q9550 to tell them what to do. Well one of them because it cannot do xfire in its current state. Don't ask why i have 2 vegas ....

Associate
Exactly; you can be sure there are NDA's in place, so people can't speak about the chip. But it would be nice for AMD to release some information to let us know whether it's on track or not).
Definitelly, i get the NDA is what the reviewers have to follow, but AMD could come out and give an update every now and then.

If for example the pricing of this 3950x is not the $750 = £750 as most likely we will get here with VAT etc. in the UK for preorders and is say £1000 and add to that the market price gauging then i might as well not waste my time and go buy the 3900x and be done with it..

Also the fact that there is no official announcement in regards to stock of the big processors is what drives me mad, 3900x is really nowhere to be found and so the price gauging happens. I guess AMD don't want to come out and say something that will come back and bite them.

I guess i am spoilt by the mobile phone business where you can preorder a phone almost when it is announced compared to the CPUs. Could have been worse, could have been like the monitor business where something gets announced and you wait 2 years for it to be released to a big price and massive dissappointment of specs/ qa issues...

Soldato
It sounds really cool with 4 threads per core but I thought that it was supposed to be for probably the next AM5 cpus and not 4000 series. Anywho in my case i cannot wait much longer i have 2 Vega 56s that sit and crawl while waiting for the q9550 to tell them what to do. Well one of them because it cannot do xfire in its current state. Don't ask why i have 2 vegas ....

I won't ask mate, seems like a sore subject :p

This was where I read it, could just be speculation but something tells me it'll be worth the wait

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-zen-3-sm4-four-threads-per-core/

Don
Definitelly, i get the NDA is what the reviewers have to follow, but AMD could come out and give an update every now and then.

If for example the pricing of this 3950x is not the $750 = £750 as most likely we will get here with VAT etc. in the UK for preorders and is say £1000 and add to that the market price gauging then i might as well not waste my time and go buy the 3900x and be done with it..

Also the fact that there is no official announcement in regards to stock of the big processors is what drives me mad, 3900x is really nowhere to be found and so the price gauging happens. I guess AMD don't want to come out and say something that will come back and bite them.

I guess i am spoilt by the mobile phone business where you can preorder a phone almost when it is announced compared to the CPUs. Could have been worse, could have been like the monitor business where something gets announced and you wait 2 years for it to be released to a big price and massive dissappointment of specs/ qa issues...

Totally agree with all of that.

NDA's always make me suspicious; I mean, think about it: If you have created this amazing car, which does 100mpg, and 0-60 in 3s, seats 5 people and produces only hydrogen, so no co2 - surely you'd be shouting about it?

From what we've seen the 3950 is special, but how special, does it justify the extra over the 3900?

Soldato
Hehe indeed it is sore.

Wow if they do that on am4 that would be brilliant. Wonder how windows will cope with all those threads :p

Good question...I would imagine windows just won't care and use the physical cores mainly (guessing). It'll be the games/programs that really need to be updated to utilize them all under heavy load. Multitasking has never been easier!

Associate
Good question...I would imagine windows just won't care and use the physical cores mainly (guessing). It'll be the games/programs that really need to be updated to utilize them all under heavy load. Multitasking has never been easier!
Thanks to AMD we are getting more and more cores in the mainstream, so I hope finally developers will start making apps with more multi core setups in mind. Some apps being single core in this day and age is baffling, but I can understand that it is difficult to program for multicore vs singlecore.

Totally agree with all of that.

NDA's always make me suspicious; I mean, think about it: If you have created this amazing car, which does 100mpg, and 0-60 in 3s, seats 5 people and produces only hydrogen, so no co2 - surely you'd be shouting about it?

From what we've seen the 3950 is special, but how special, does it justify the extra over the 3900?

In my case everyone would know it. I always wondered why NDA was used. I guess here is to make sure profitability is intact i guess although it can be a double edged sword. If your product is so good you would want it to get as much exposure as it can. But then Intel might pop up with a strategy and basically steal some sales from AMD etc..

Don
Thanks to AMD we are getting more and more cores in the mainstream, so I hope finally developers will start making apps with more multi core setups in mind. Some apps being single core in this day and age is baffling, but I can understand that it is difficult to program for multicore vs singlecore.

In my case everyone would know it. I always wondered why NDA was used. I guess here is to make sure profitability is intact i guess although it can be a double edged sword. If your product is so good you would want it to get as much exposure as it can. But then Intel might pop up with a strategy and basically steal some sales from AMD etc..

It takes a lot of time to be able to create a product based upon a spec sheet though.

Associate
It was slated to be $750. So from there we could end up with a few scenarios. My guess due to 'shortages' the popularity of the 3900X and gouging it will come in just shy of £1000. I hope am wrong.
Thats what i am worried about. £1000+ for a mainstream processor is too much. Too much for my needs anyway and hence why I would have to settle with an msrp 3900x or possibly a 3700x which would save loads of money

Permabanned
3950X is a much higher priced part, so it will have no impact on 3900X.

Only way 3900X is getting cheaper is if supply improves, hardly anywhere has stock.

It is cheaper and technically easier for AMD to make one R9 3900X with 1 cIOd chiplet and two 8-core chiplets (with disabled 2 cores each), than it is for them to make two 6-core R5 3600 with 2 cIOd chiplets and two 8-core chiplets.
They can stop or limit the 6-core production and instead relocate more 8-core Ryzen 7 2700 for this performance tier, instead.

Also, if R9 3900X gets its right price of £483, the i9-9900K sales will literally drop to 0.

How many are the R9 3900X sales now at £600?

OcUK Staff
It is cheaper and technically easier for AMD to make one R9 3900X with 1 cIOd chiplet and two 8-core chiplets (with disabled 2 cores each), than it is for them to make two 6-core R5 3600 with 2 cIOd chiplets and two 8-core chiplets.
They can stop or limit the 6-core production and instead relocate more 8-core Ryzen 7 2700 for this performance tier, instead.

Also, if R9 3900X gets its right price of £483, the i9-9900K sales will literally drop to 0.

9900K continued selling when 3900X launched at MSRP.
9900K absolutely flies at the moment.
3900X still sells 10+ a day at current pricing.
9900KS also selling 20+ a day at present.

All the CPU's are in short flying of the shelf.

Intel will fight back next week with further price drops on 9700K, 9700KF, 9600K and 9600KF, no move planned for 9900K as they can simply sell everything they produce!

We plan to push 9700KF down to £299 on promotion to match 3700X, so incredible chips, both sub £300, then users who want cores can buy AMD, the users who want frequency can buy Intel. There is customers for both as were seeing resulting in both brands selling well.

Don
Nice to see AMD and Intel trading blows at the top end again. Feels like Intel have been on top since the Core2Duo days. With AMD slamming Intel in the multicore performance applications, it shakes things up a bit :)

Associate

I still can see people getting the 9900K instead of the AMD even when the 3900x is at MSRP. Gaming comes in mind and people who are used to intel and don't like to fiddle with settings.

Permabanned
9900K continued selling when 3900X launched at MSRP.
9900K absolutely flies at the moment.
3900X still sells 10+ a day at current pricing.
9900KS also selling 20+ a day at present.

All the CPU's are in short flying of the shelf.

Intel will fight back next week with further price drops on 9700K, 9700KF, 9600K and 9600KF, no move planned for 9900K as they can simply sell everything they produce!

We plan to push 9700KF down to £299 on promotion to match 3700X, so incredible chips, both sub £300, then users who want cores can buy AMD, the users who want frequency can buy Intel. There is customers for both as were seeing resulting in both brands selling well.

Thank you for the information :)

You do write nonsense sometimes.

No, I think sometimes people are confused and intolerant to other people's opinions.

I still can see people getting the 9900K instead of the AMD even when the 3900x is at MSRP. Gaming comes in mind and people who are used to intel and don't like to fiddle with settings.

R9 3900X is faster at 1080p in CS:GO (esports title), while at 4K there is no difference.

Ryzen-9-3900-X-CS-GO-Performance.png

https://www.techspot.com/review/1877-core-i9-9900k-vs-ryzen-9-3900x/

Back
Top Bottom