• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

YorkshirePadd26 said:
Fanboyism !

Sorry, I'm not much of a fanboy, what I said are facts. Like it or not. If you register on this forum just to post a single word " Fanboyism ", I would rather you take a step back, think of what you have done and feel ashamed of it.

Edit: I just noticed that the card's ram is 512MB and on 3D Mark 06 the default resolution doesn't even use 512MB.

So for people gaming at resolution of 1920 x 1200 and above, I would very much think that the GTX will have better fps?

Last edited:
Gerard said:
I dont see why posting pics would not be allowed, pics of both cards (retail and oem) have already appeared on the net and have been around for weeks now. Dunno why they'd stop you from showing what people have already seen.

NDA = totally retarded mosta the time, ooh they might see what the card looks like....umm wtf, youd think that by looking at a card with the core and ram covered by the cooler people would magically know the benchmark results or something. :mad:

True and the end of the day, what are they going to do. Stop supplying OCUk with ATI cards ! I dought is as they're one of the biggest UK ATI sellers.

Nows lets ave a butchers at your card Gibbo !

Lolcb said:
Sorry, I'm not much of a fanboy, what I said are facts. Like it or not. If you register on this forum just to post a single word " Fanboyism ", I would rather you take a step back, think of what you have done and feel ashamed of it.

Mybad,

But there does seam to be a lot of peeps getting upset about it, hey buy a good card and play your butt off and chill and have a nice day. :)

Lolcb said:
Im sorry mate, let us put a point clear here.

It doesn't matter that it is the GTS in the ATI world, the fact is that ATI has 6-7 months to improvise on their product, but having such a long time, they still only managed to make their XT model's performance similar to a GTX. So what does this imply, XTX being 5-10% faster?

And considering the fact that Nvidia is supposedly going to launch a higher end model - 8800 Ultra? So at the end of the day, Nvidia still has the stronger performing card, no?

the thing is though thats not bad, the little scale thing was 1 - 10 and 5 is 8800GTX, he said 5/6, meaning its a little better ;) and its the weaker model of the R600 series, plus there 65nm are they not so overclocking should be reasonably good i would say, finally looks like the 8800 series has a tough competitor, the 8800 ultra is absolutely irrelivent to this discussion as its already stated as being way high priced $999 (miles higher than R600) and possibly dual-board like the 7950GX2, did the GX2 kill sales of the X1950XTX, i think not, this will still be a success for these reasons:

1) its competitive with the 8800 series, possibly faster, all we know really at the moment is its at least as good

2) its cheaper than the 8800 series

3) very quiet with good image quality

4) 65nm might mean there killer overclockers, meaning they'll be a favourite with the enthusiasts

and 5) ATI drivers/support is MILES better than NVIDIAs, so your getting a 8800GTX for less money with better driver support, that ejects heat from the case more efficiently and is quieter, how the heck can that be bad?

Lolcb said:
Similar to GTX lmao.

I bet that sentence basically just gave a shock to those who have been waiting for half a year.

O.O i feel kind of owned now.

but the fact that i didnt buy a GTX anyway, and the fact that i didnt have a money for a GTX, means that i benefit even if just the slightest.

but really iv not been "waiting" iv been "saving up money" so by my fault of taking so long saving up means i will get a few extra 3dmarks even if the slightest i guess...

+ as Gibbo said the image quality is better :cool:

I'm not saying it is bad, I am saying that having this long of a time to improvise their product, I would have thought that, the peformance would be a bit better.

Edit: I just noticed that the card's ram is 512MB and on 3D Mark 06 the default resolution doesn't even use 512MB.

So for people gaming at resolution of 1920 x 1200 and above, I would very much think that the GTX will have better fps?

Yep, along with all sorts of rumours, I think these are 80nm and 65nm parts will follow in due course, but I could be wrong.

@Lolcb, I don't think the amount of memory above 512 is used with anything, even at higher res, and ati seem to have a more efficient memory architexture (SP) so that might even it out, I am sure Gibbo would have tested at those resolutions .....

Last edited:
I'm happy :)

Haven't been able to upgrade yet 'cause of money - but with GTX-like performance, reduced cost and ATi Drivers - my future upgrade will benefit.

Those who have specifically held off for this might be a little disappointed - but for those who are planning to upgrade will benefit from this, surely.

PLUS: I was going to have to settle with a GTS - as the GTX is over my price budget - but if this ATi card is indeed cheaper - then I may be able to get the performance that I would have sacrificed.

Vogon said:
Yep, along with all sorts of rumours, I think these are 80nm and 65nm parts will follow in due course, but I could be wrong.

@lolcb, I don't think the amount of memory above 512 is used with anything, even at higher res, and ati seem to have a more efficient memory architexture (SP) so that might even it out, I am sure Gibbo would have tested at those resolutions .....
No you're right its 80nm, they said so in a press conference, the need for an 8 pin 200w+ power plug is a give away as well, 65nm shouldn't need that much current. Personally I'd like to know what the power draw is on this thing.

Last edited:
Vogon said:
@lolcb, I don't think the amount of memory above 512 is used with anything, even at higher res, and ati seem to have a more efficient memory architexture (SP) so that might even it out, I am sure Gibbo would have tested at those resolutions .....

Mate, we cannot assume here until we see proven facts/benchmarks between the GTX and XT at different resolutions.

Vogon, actually if you see benchmarks, the amount of memory does matter here when it comes to fps. Taking the 640MB vs the 320MB GTS in resolution of 1920 x 1200.

melbourne720 said:
Yep, pry off that heat sink and get out you electron microscope :D

well no, i know my processor is 90nm, was part of the product information, i certainly didn't use an electron microscope :p and my 8800GTS has GPU manufactured on 90nm as well, again product description, thought maybe gibbo might know the exact details of his sample card

Back
Top Bottom