• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

Gashman said:
well no, i know my processor is 90nm, was part of the product information, i certainly didn't use an electron microscope :p and my 8800GTS has GPU manufactured on 90nm as well, again product description, thought maybe gibbo might know the exact details of his sample card

Fair point. Mine was a former chemistry student response. :D

Could be crucial though in finding out if this is going to be an overclockable card, or one that won't budge a smegging inch!

Well you are right we cant assume too much, but I think nothing (yet) makes enough use of anything over 512 Vram to make any odds, the 320 vs 640 gts cards can be affected as some things do use over 320 mb ... and the 320/640 cards are different speeds as well IIRC.

Like you say its only speculation, but I would be very suprised to see any worthwhile difference due to having 768mb memory over 512 in current games/ benchies.

*hint* Hopefully Gibbo would have run some games and benchies with 1920x1200 and maybe some AA/AF thrown in for comparison *hint* :)

steve258 said:
Is the 8-pin socket compatible with the ESP12V 8-pin connector that's intended for the mobo or do you need a separate plug??
Its a different plug.

Although if you pushed hard enough???...No don't I'm joking.

Last edited:
Vogon said:
I think you can use 2x6 pin plugs in place of 1x8 pin IIRC.

Is that what he said?

Gibbo said:
Hi there

Nope its a retail, OEM won't be available to end users to purchase.

This is the same size as a GTX card, no bigger so will fit in cases fine. :)

It has a 8-pin and 6-pin PCI-E connectors but you can plug a 6-pin connector into the 8-pin without issues so you won't need to upgrade your PSU's to the new types.

Last edited:
Vogon said:
Well, there you go :)
Um, I did read somewhere that it won't overclock if it sensed that all 8+6 pins weren't fully connected. Gibbo's post indicates otherwise, still I don't understand the point of 8 pins if they're not all needed. 2x6 pins is good for up to 225W

fornowagain said:
Um, I did read somewhere that it won't overclock if it sensed that all 8+6 pins weren't fully connected. Gibbo's post indicates otherwise, still I don't understand the point of 8 pins if they're not all needed.

HI there

To overclock you will need all 8 pins connected to give the card the power required to higher clock speeds when overclocking.

fornowagain said:
Ah...

That must be using quite a lot of juice :eek:

I am sure when reviews surface they will let us know about power requirements.

Obviously our system has no issues, but it does have a 1000W enermax in it. :D

Gibbo said:
I am sure when reviews surface they will let us know about power requirements.

Obviously our system has no issues, but it does have a 1000W enermax in it. :D
Methinks you should try it with the Corsairs and similar PSUs in it since they're very popular. ;)

Back
Top Bottom